• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FM
    Wooooooo!
    • Jun 2004

Re:: Tipping USA question

Originally posted by Trancelucent One
    Agreed...now let's talk about tipping in a restaurant! 15-20% is the norm. I'm getting sick of working my ass off (and I am a good server) with a $50 check for some businessmen to think that $5 is ok. I've found that businessmen tend to be the worst tippers! Oh well...in two weeks I can say adios to the restaurant biz, been doing it for 4 years and am definately ready to say goodbye!
    hope you're moving on to bigger and better worlds!
    (been there, done that)

agreed..15-20% is the normal tip...if you know the state tax you're in, apply it to that...if you can't figure out the math rapidly enough, tripling it does the trick typically.

I used to average 18% on my tables, regardless of the amount...then I went to a different restaurant where the majority of clientele were senior citizens and I was lucky to get 15%...no matter how good things were.

But tip when and where you can, unless the service was so horrible (within reasonable standards) that one shouldn't deserve it. The other exception being if you're seriously broke... :?
    FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
    "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
    Facebook!
    A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• peloquin
      Till I Come!
      • Jun 2004

oregon has no sales tax, does that mean i dont have to tip :P:wink:

Comment

• FM
        Wooooooo!
        • Jun 2004

if only it were that easy....:wink:
        FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
        "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
        Facebook!
        A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Trancelucent One
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by FM
          Originally posted by Trancelucent One
          Agreed...now let's talk about tipping in a restaurant! 15-20% is the norm. I'm getting sick of working my ass off (and I am a good server) with a $50 check for some businessmen to think that $5 is ok. I've found that businessmen tend to be the worst tippers! Oh well...in two weeks I can say adios to the restaurant biz, been doing it for 4 years and am definately ready to say goodbye!
          hope you're moving on to bigger and better worlds!
          (been there, done that)

agreed..15-20% is the normal tip...if you know the state tax you're in, apply it to that...if you can't figure out the math rapidly enough, tripling it does the trick typically.
          Well I'm moving on to living off student loans for the next four years. Not exactly bigger and better things but after Pharmacy school things will be much better!
          ~Pam

I like it dark and dirty!!!

Comment

• Ariel Cybana
            Addiction started
            • Jul 2004

I grew up in a home where my parents didn't tip at all or if my dad ever did it was for one buck. They just never got it really...

I had been a waitress on and off for a total of about four years and I worked at a couple of places. First place I worked at was a diner for 2 years and the last place is a pizza/pasta place with a full bar (that didn't happen til the last few months). At the diner place we'd get people who were poorer tippers and ruder customers and their tags were lower too. At the last place, people generally tipped around 15% give or take. It was a family style restaurant yet kinda high volume. With the full bar we got higher tags especially at night yet we tipped out our host & bar staff. Chain or high volume restaurants generally tip out 1/3rd of their tips to various members of staff (food runners, host, bar, etc) so although you think they are making bank they tip out a lot more.

I usually tip my manicurist around 20% and servers at least 15% unless the service sucked. The general rule with restaurants is doubling the sales tax and in my county it is 7.5% sales tax. Do keep in mind alcohol sales are generally NOT taxed as the tax is already included in the price.

Servers must report 8-12% of their sales to be claimed as tip money and they do get taxed on it. Also in most states servers do not make the federal minimum wage. In CA, servers do make their minimum wage which is 6.75/hr yet in most other states, the restaurant only has to pay around 2.35/hr as the tip money they supposedly make would make up the difference to the minimum wage of that state.

One other thing I should point out is if your service sucks so bad, don't stiff them. Instead give them a penny as it's worse than stiffing them cause they'd know you think they gave crap service.

Comment

• Jibgolly
              Vortexuralizor
              • Jun 2004

super cuts

haircut: $12.00
              tip: $3.00
              not getting stabbed in the neck by a large african american woman while she eats chicken wings and snips your hair: priceless

Comment

• ezdude1970
                Getting Somewhere
                • Jun 2004

it might be a little too much but my haircut is $25 and I tip her $10, it took me a long time to find somebody that make my shit look decent, and if you are going to the same person all the time you dont have to worry about her not paying attention or not focusing on what is imprortant which for that 15 minutes that I am there should be nothing but do my hair well!

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

Originally posted by BeachBum
                  Originally posted by Encryption
                  15% to a hair stylist , dude if you're a regular to a particular lady / man who's snipping your rug, $2 is MAX.... if your a newbie to a salon / individual, $1 is my budget. The richer I get, the bigger the tip, else she lives with it.

At resteraunts, I just double the tax (for tips) and call it even. Unless the service rendered was reminiscint to you going into the jungle to hunt your own meals....

-e-
                  Holy shit E...I hope you are joking...waiters and waitresses only make $2.13 an hour and have to put up with a lot of bullshit in the process...if someone's food is not right...or the cooks are taking forever to get the food prepared...it is always the fault of the wait staff. As far as hairdresser's are concerned...I hope you are going to the barber who only charges $5. I bet your friendly hairdresser and wait staff at your favorite places to dine really enjoy seeing you come in the door

Well I think you mis-read my post, my $1 - $2 is for haircuts and where I live, there is a year-round gathering for the worst hair-dressers on the planet, hence the low (reluctant) tip because in my 3 years here, I have never once had a good haircut. So the easiest thing I do is have them run a #4 through my head (and believe it or not, they fuck up on that too).

Taxes are usually 6 1/2 % and I double those ALWAYS in each tip. 13% tips aren't bad dude.... I'm not a penny pincher a far shot, esp with the amount of expenses I have and the amount I break my balls on my job, waitressing (even at prevailing wages) is a fucking breeze.

Not to say I make that much more, just that I work some ungodly hours myself

-e-
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                  he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                  Originally posted by ace_dl
                  Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                  I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• peloquin
                    Till I Come!
                    • Jun 2004

washington sales tax = 7.6% X 2 = 15.2 HOW CONVENIENT

and i agree with the above comment about the fucking up of a #4 all over, i normally get a #3 all over, and believe me, i could probably do a better job myself, but im too lazy. $2 tip from me for that. i normally tip generously at restaurants because my girlie is a banquet server and i like to blow my money as quickly as possible

Comment

• GerryD
                      I love skanking
                      • Jun 2004

Friends wife has been cutting my hair for about 4 years... She charges $30 for most of her customers I get mine cut for $15 so I can't complain....... I usually tip her $10.
                      "We're professional entertainers. You give us money, we entertain you.

Comment

• Trancelucent One
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2004

More on tipping

Originally posted by Encryption
                        waitressing (even at prevailing wages) is a fucking breeze.

-e-
                        I have to disagree with you there. I think in some restaurants it is a breeze. My friend works at a mom and pop restaurant and loves it. She left Chili's to work there. I will never work in a corporate restaurant again. They require us to have certain sales of drinks whenever we're having contests. Our schedule is on the line if we don't make our sales. Also, I work in the lounge on Sundays and Tuesdays- that's 12 tables. Usually people are just drinking and it's easy but sometimes on Sundays families will go in their b/c they don't want to wait...mind you I'm by myself. I'm not saying it's the hardest job in the world but when 5 groups of people come into the lounge all at once- it gets stressful. However, there's a reason why you have to work your way up to the lounge...you get used to running your ass off and you make great money. People definately tip better in the lounge and now I've built up quite a few regulars. As far as wages go, it's safe to say that in any corporate/chain restaurant the server makes $2.13/hr plus tips...which we tip out 3% total to bussers, bartenders, and an expo (puts the food together and sends it out). So if you tip 13% then we only walk to 10%. Just a thought. I know a lot of people say well you chose that job and yes we do. Because the vast majority of people know how to tip for me 15% is usually the lowest I get on average. Occasionally you work your ass off and you're very personable and the table's really nice and then they leave you 10%...that irks me!! But on average I do well..it got me through my undergrad and you get to work with people who usually like to party! The thing about serving is that once you know how to you can go anywhere and always go back to it!
                        ~Pam

I like it dark and dirty!!!

Comment

• Steve Graham
                          DJ Jelly
                          • Jun 2004

I have never been a server. But for the most part I have alot of respect for people that do this job and do it well. I alwasy tip at least 20% and go from there depending on the service. But never below 15% just because I got marginal service. I know quite a few people in the industry as I mentioned before, and hear alot of the stories of people that are just rude (customers that is). Especially places that are open 24 hours and deal with drunk idiots after the pubs and clubs close. Much respect..

Comment

• neoee
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

My g/f does hair for a living. So if you don't tip I'm the guy that has to listen to how horrible her day went because she worked extra hard on someone's hair and they didn't tip or didn't tip enough.

As far as my tipping goes I typically tip more than most, but my thinking is if someday I lose my job and go into the service industry I want others to tip me well (what goes around...).

When I was paying for haircuts (now I just pay in sex ) I would tip 5 dollars on a 20 dollar haircut.
                            For resturants I double the tax (in WA its like 8 %) then add some, so I'm guessing I'm tipping around 20-25 %
                            When it comes to going to the clubs I tip the bartenders between 30-200%. This usually starts out by me tipping on the low end and as they start to remember me on future visits my drink prices tend to go way down and I start tipping heavier to make up for it. It really pays to tip heavy here since you get better service and soon your not paying cover and now getting 70 bucks worth of drinks now only ends up in a 10 dollar tab. You actually save money here.
                            "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...