haha. that was fucking ace.
      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• speciale
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Dec 2005

Re: Poor America...

Originally posted by asdf_admin
        Huggie ... I am a dual citizen being raised in Europe and in America. and simply from my own view and interactions, I truly have to say that statement is true.

There is a signifcant lack of education in the USA in regards to the World. Even in the US education system ... Look at wars for example ... a major portion of war education is based on what wars US were involved with. Surely other wars are touched on ... but no way as in depth as Civil War, Native Americain War, Spainsih War, WWI & WWII, etc.

Hesh ... Some people do not even know that there was a 100 year war. Sad, but this is how the US culture is bred.
        I definitely worded my other posts wrong. No matter if in a rural area or in the city, you will find ignorant people. For younger people, if there isnt a movie or it is not on MTV, then they will not know about it. The school system here is a lot worse than back when I was in school. The classrooms had fewer students and the teachers could focus more on explaining things to their students. Now, (well at least in S. Florida) the classrooms are slammed and overcrowded.

If you don't believe that a lot of Americans are idiots, just watch Jay Leno's Jaywalking one night and you will see. Its a shame but what can you do? The day I have kids, I will encourage them to learn just a bit about their heratige and their country, then teach them about the world by actually taking them there.

BTW - asdf, did that the guy win the election for gov?
        Originally posted by Miroslav
        It's not like he grabbed his balls and sucked his dick. It's not like he gave the Saudis the original copy of the Constitution to use as toilet paper. It's not like he gave away the secret recipe to the Colonel's chicken. .
        No Soup for You

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
          Anyone have Styx livesets?
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kobe
          hell yea! I use paper clips (unbent) - works a treat!
          ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• xeb
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kobe
            No question about it, those stats speak for themselves. What I am addressing the editorializing that has taken place since those statistics were copy/pasted.

The underlying accusations being thrown around in this thread is that this somehow impugns the entire population. That we are all uneducated, that we all support the GWB regime. Un-fucking-believe-able that I have to, a> put up with the shit in the first place, and THEN, b> be accused of being part of it.

LIke I said before

Sorry but I cannot escape the irony of this whole thread, an ignorant commentary about ignorace. Where is the part where I'm supposed to be impressed?
            not sure if that was aimed at me but sure it was in part at least. i said above (perhaps not quite clearly enough) that almost without fail every american i have met in life or online does not fit into this self-centered unaware of the world around them state. simply because i do actually meet them, therefore they're either travelling, online or in places i've played at.... ie, getting out and seeing that there is a world out there! generally i love this kind of person... great people, down to earth, open and friendly.

what bothers me is that you're in the distinct minority. the fact that bush can get elected again proves that through and through.
            i'm amazed it doesn't bother you more, hence the fact i said i can't believe people are coming on here defending this shit!
            www.nigelmarcussen.com
            www.tribalis-totalis.com

Comment

• Kobe
              I wish I had an interesting User title
              • Jun 2004

It definitely bothers me. But to a large extent our experiences are similar, as I surround myself with like minded people and live on the fringes of the NY Metro area. The only places I'm exposed to extreme ignorace or conservatism is actually on-line. The people I interact with on a daily basis are all as intellegent open-minded as can be reasonibly expected. Just like you. I'm sure if I drove into the Ozark Mountains it would be a different story.

If anything, I think that is the bigger issue-- the two Americas. Not that Bush won in a landslide (he didn't). That we are very much split down the middle. Our last two elections were basically 50/50 in the popular vote. It is as if the civil War never ended, but rather than North vs South it is now Coastal vs Middle.
              Beats are my crack.

Comment

• KinKyJ
                Platinum Poser
                • Jun 2004

You know what the common element is these kind of threads have? Every American tends to take criticism personally. Dunno why that is, but some people need to start realising not everything is US bashing. Especially on a forum like MS where the overall IQ level is a tad higher than that from other boards I know...

Anyway, what Kobe says is exactly what those survey results mean. Not that Yanks are overall dumber than us Euro trash, but that there's a large percentage of the population pulling the avarage down.

That's one of the reasons I'm anti-Bush: spending an outrageous budget on Iraq while there's no social safety net nor equal access to education for his own people.

Comment

• speciale
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by KinKyJ
                  You know what the common element is these kind of threads have? Every American tends to take criticism personally. Dunno why that is, but some people need to start realising not everything is US bashing. Especially on a forum like MS where the overall IQ level is a tad higher than that from other boards I know...

Anyway, what Kobe says is exactly what those survey results mean. Not that Yanks are overall dumber than us Euro trash, but that there's a large percentage of the population pulling the avarage down.

That's one of the reasons I'm anti-Bush: spending an outrageous budget on Iraq while there's no social safety net nor equal access to education for his own people.
                  not all of us take it personally. I could care less about stupid people. In fact I too enjoy making fun of them no matter what country they are from. I am not prejudice
                  It's not like he grabbed his balls and sucked his dick. It's not like he gave the Saudis the original copy of the Constitution to use as toilet paper. It's not like he gave away the secret recipe to the Colonel's chicken. .
                  No Soup for You

Comment

• MJDub
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

Those statistics don't really surprise me. I can tell that I'm in the miniscule minority (especially for my age) when it comes to not being an idiot about sweeping generalizations about the world, even in the Houston area.

Granted, it's a big metropolitan area, so there are some people who are down-to-earth / like-minded here. However, when the overwhelming majority allows itself to be turned into "sheeple" because of willing acts ignorance such as RE-electing Bush and watching MTV religiously, statistics like these seem to fit, even for metropolitan areas. It is a Texas city, so it's probably different from New York or LA, but the point should stand that the world is infested with idiots, and the US is definitely a part of the world.
                    http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• evangelion
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Rednecks are the cause of all the stupidity in the world. They've spread across the entire globe....and are REPRODUCING!!!
                      Last edited by evangelion; May 17, 2006, 03:23:17 AM.

Comment

• speciale
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by evangelion
                        Rednecks are the cause of all the stupidity in the world. They've spread across the entire globe....and are REPRODUCING!!!
                        they are spreading fast too
                        No Soup for You

Comment

Working...