X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Limbaugh v. O'Reilly

On my drive during lunch each day, I tend to swap back and forth between The Radio Factor and Rush Limbaugh to see what the right has to say on things. Although I don't see eye-to-eye on many policy issues with either of them, I have a healthy dose of respect for O'Reilly. Although there are exceptions, Bill tends to shoot fairly straight when it comes to matters of a factual nature and then comments upon those facts based upon his extreme worldview. I rarely agree with him, but it is his expert analysis that allows him to make his point.

Limbaugh, on the other hand, is a fucking boob. I had never really realized it until I started flipping back and forth between them, but the difference is remarkable. Limbaugh skewers the facts to set up a straw man position purportedly taken by Kerry and "The Left," and then rips the straw man apart with a fairly pedestrian, obvious counter-argument. He sets himself up to "prevail" by arguing against phantom positions. The whole program is a sham.

I did happen to hear Rush get tripped up badly on my pet issue, tort reform, just the other day. Some guy called in and led Limbaugh down the rosy path of how lawyers are the root of all evil, how anyone who files a lawsuit is greedy, how all litigation is frivilous, etc. and then flipped him on it and began quizzing Rush on his own use of the courts. Rush began by taking the absurd position that he had no idea if he'd ever filed a lawsuit before, stuck with that for a while before admitting that he had sued people before, but that that was different because his cases had merit and he had been wronged, blah, blah, blah. The backpedalling was remarkable, and Rush finished the guy off by hanging up on him, going on a brief rant about something unrelated, and then cut to commercial. Whatapussy.

I guess he wants his fans to be "dittoheads" so they can just parrot his fluff without thinking about it.
  • cneill
    Getting warmed up
    • Jul 2004

Re:: Limbaugh v. O'Reilly

yep, Rush is a boob. His show seems to be more of an "entertainment" show than a real news talk show. He gets a bit rediculous. Surely he's playing it up for the show, or is he really that rediculous in real life? I don't know. And what you said about him wanting his fans to be dittoheads, you're probably right. Have you heard the advertisements on his show for his newsletter in which he "provides you with all the information you need to beat the left?" The ad starts out with him saying something like "have you ever been tongue tied when confronted by your leftist friends? Well, no longer must you stutter through arguments..."
    Go n-ithe an cat th? is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

Re:: Limbaugh v. O'Reilly

Originally posted by cneill
      Have you heard the advertisements on his show for his newsletter in which he "provides you with all the information you need to beat the left?" The ad starts out with him saying something like "have you ever been tongue tied when confronted by your leftist friends? Well, no longer must you stutter through arguments..."
      Yeah, it always cracks me up. He sits there and chuckles to himself about the obvious fallacy of liberal ideology -- if it is so obvious to be comical, you'd think his loyal followers would have no problem on their own.

Originally posted by cneill
      Surely he's playing it up for the show, or is he really that rediculous in real life?
      I wonder this, too. Sometimes shit will come out of his mouth that is so absurd, I picture him finishing his show and saying, "Wow, that was a thick plug of dung, there. Can't believe I pulled that off." The most troubling thing is all of those folks that call in and start off with, "Rush, you ought to run for president, I agree with everything you say." Scary.

Comment

• Ariel Cybana
        Addiction started
        • Jul 2004

I haven't heard Limbaugh in years cause I dont get up early enough to hear him. Anyway my oldest brother and dad was a huge fan of his and what I liked about Limbaugh's show was the political parodies with Paul Shanklin. I always thought of Rush as more of an entertaining sort while O'Reilly cuts to the chase.

Rush used to have a TV show in the mid 90's and one thing you'll notice is the audience is all dressed in suits and ties!

Comment

Working...