X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Marriage Amendment Fails

What a collosal waste of time. It's bad enough that, with all that needs attention in this country right now, our Congress can think of nothing better to do than to rehash the whole gay marriage thing yet again. It's even worse, though, that they've wasted this time and effort when pretty much everyone freely concedes that the thing had no chance of passing anyway. Regardless of what you think on the issue substantively, the leadership in Congress leading everyone in this wheel-spinning exercise so they can pander to their base is obnoxious.

It's heartening to know that our country is in such good shape that our elected officials have enough spare time on their hands to follow these sorts of boondoggles.
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Marriage Amendment Fails

seriously, i wrote this same thing for the BBC>

appease everyone without stepping on anyone's toes

allow the gay unions. call em gay unions. keep the word marriage for hetero. this allows the churches to retain the dignity of the sacrement and allows the gay couple every right they damn well deserve. technically , gays cant marry per se. CUZ if u b gay, u b excommunicated (technically speaking following law of the sacred texts.)

my 2. i am somewhat religious, so i can see where they are coming from. i am friends with gays, and frankly, they arent any different than us. true equality would be my solution because it protects religious rights and civil rights.
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

Well, I'm not interested in debating whether or not gay marriage is a good idea, whether the church really created marriage, etc. because we've frankly been down this road about a billion times and it doesn't make any sense to do it again. May take on the subject is pretty well documented, particularly in the threads that probably appear as related threads at the bottom of this page.

My point today has nothing to do with the gay marriage debate itself. It has to do with the leadership in Congress eschewing actual work to engage in a debate it knew would bring no legislative fruit but would make them more electable in mid-term elections. Have they no shame?

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

aaah..

in that case.

yeah bush wasting time. but the houses have to react to the president (any pres) when they put forth a bill. yes. waste of time. just force the states to vote on it. and soon. we need to end this ridiculous debate once and for all and just accept what THE PEOPLE say
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• superdave
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Purely political imo and a tactic by the Republicans to get people riled up to re-elect them back in office this coming November. The Republicans know their supporters are more right than they are and will get emotional about issues such as gays getting married.

Another tactic they're using is saying could you imagine a Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi. No way could you have a San Francisco liberal in charge of the House of Representatives their inferring. The Republicans are betting this reality check to their base will encourage them to vote for the Republicans in November.

Flag burning, Roe v. Wade, Saving Xmas, School Prayer, and 10 commandments can't be far behind.
          Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• KinKyJ
            Platinum Poser
            • Jun 2004

^^^ true that

Btw, I'm in favor of gay marriage... if both chicks are hot

Nah, seriously I think it's a good thing the state organises some form of legal platform (whether you call it marriage, union, life time ass pumping, I don't care) for gays to live together and have heritage 'n' stuff settled in a normal way.

Comment

• beanzncheez
              Banned
              • Jun 2004

Gays shouldn't be allowed to marry. No benefits for them. Benefits are for "people".

Comment

• BSully828
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

^^^

Oh not this again.....
                Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
                a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

Comment

• beanzncheez
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2004

^ ^ Nice malfunction of punctuation up there, buddy.

Comment

Working...