X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhanson187
    Getting warmed up
    • Nov 2004

Production having MIDI headaches

I am trying to figure out why the MIDI connection on both the keyboard and controller I am trying to use is different from the MIDI in on my soundcard. For that matter, it seems to be the case for all sound cards I have looked at. I have a front bay with a MIDI in and MIDI out, but instead of a half circle five pin arrangement found on the MIDI out from the controller and keyboard, ithe front bay has more of a S-Video pin configuration.

Am I making any sense here? If someone knows whats going on, please clue me in.
    rhansonian@gmail.com
  • Revinant
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Re: having MIDI headaches

huh???????? model????

theres no other tipe of midi than the 5 pined cables. unless is a usb cable from the controller to laptop. otherwise, theres no other way to send midi. (unless youre using a lan conection, ask BT how to do that)
    Revinant/S Junk?s/The Midnight Perverts
    http://www.myspace.com/midnightperverts
    Http://www.sjunkes.com

Comment

• rhanson187
      Getting warmed up
      • Nov 2004

I know I sound like a damn fool here, and most of the time you can chalk that up to the fact tthat I am a damned fool. But the front bay of the Audigy 2 Sound Blaster has a MIDI in and MIDI out... yet instead of the standard five pin configuration, it is smaller with a pin configuration resembeling an S-Video input.
      rhansonian@gmail.com

Comment

• neoee
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Usually the card comes with an attachment cable. I know exactly what your talking about Soundblaster does this alot.

You mean like this right:

I believe this is called a mini midi cable.
        "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• rhanson187
          Getting warmed up
          • Nov 2004

That's exactly what I'm talking about, thanks for the headsup.
          rhansonian@gmail.com

Comment

• groffhibbitz
            Gold Gabber
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Revinant
            huh???????? model????

theres no other tipe of midi than the 5 pined cables. unless is a usb cable from the controller to laptop. otherwise, theres no other way to send midi. (unless youre using a lan conection, ask BT how to do that)
            not true, midi is just a communication protocol, you can send it over any type of connection you want.

For example, you can use the gameport on older soundcards, or even have it created and sent internally through software on your computer.

Comment

• Revinant
              Getting Somewhere
              • Jun 2004

oh shit I forgot the good ol gameport
              Revinant/S Junk?s/The Midnight Perverts
              http://www.myspace.com/midnightperverts
              Http://www.sjunkes.com

Comment

Working...