X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mw-1
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Serious industry question...

So i'm actively involved in a school project where I need to start a ficticious company and build an entire business plan, cash flow statement, etc. So I wanted to start my own DJ promotional agency. The problem I didn't realize was that doing the research on this, in specifically the EDM scene, is quite hard. So I thought I might ask this question on this board to see if anyone could help me with a few of them.

I realize that promotional agencies take care of the bookings for DJ's, but I was wondering what the industry standard fee or commision rate is for them (agencies) when it comes to booking a DJ. Or does it vary from DJ to DJ depending on their demand and popularity? Also since I'm assuming DJ's sign contracts with these agencies, the only way to get these artists and DJ's to play is to go through the company? Also what exactly does the promotional agency really take care of that the DJ cannot do on his/her own? I'm assuming that alot of their job entails promoting and advertising their artists or DJ's to get more bookings, but this cost money. Is the money spent recoupable from artist revenue? Does the artists pay whatever money is spent on promoting them in the long run kind of like a record deal?

If anyone could help me out that would be great. I could use all the information I can get to help my research.

-Milo

Homepage:

www.wahimusic.com

Myspace:

www.myspace.com/wahimusic
  • shosh
    Banned
    • Jun 2004

Re: Serious industry question...

^^ milo as in mylo?

Comment

• GregWhelan
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

I would imagine that a DJ agency takes care of the artist by literally just ringing them up and saying 'Hello, yo are booked to play Club X on so-and-so, tickets are in the post, hotel details also etc etc so they literally just turn up at the airport and fly to their gig

They take a cut of whatever fee that dj charges - I would guess the dj decides what to charge

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

speaking from experience, STAY THE FUCK AWAY from the music industry, in particular the EDM scene. too scattered, independent to a fault and hard as fuck to account for. if you change you ideas, im a CPA and will ahppily help out if you decide your business should be non-music.
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• mw-1
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

1. no not as in "mylo"

2. I'm not actually starting the company. This is ficticious but im just looking for information.

3. I would assume that it's a little bit more complicated than just booking one of your dj's or artist to play at a club. I'm assuming that to get bookings agencies also help out with the development and promotion of said artist and there for cost money. They generate revenue when their artist is booked yes but does that commission take care of everything from advertising and promoting to booking that artist? or are those cost recoupable at the end of contract terms or something like that...

Homepage:

www.wahimusic.com

Myspace:

Comment

• thesightless
            Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
            • Jun 2004

3. dude, if you give me a day i can begin to answer it, but if i were you i would think about a production, retail company where its more concrete. seriously, the article i wrote 3 years ago was solely about booking fees and royalties, and it was 20 pages......

or just go to the source and email jimmy van M@ balance and ask if he can help.
            your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
            download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• mw-1
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

wouldn't happen to have a copy of the paper i can read?

Homepage:

www.wahimusic.com

Myspace:

Comment

• alexfish333
                Gold Gabber
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
                speaking from experience, STAY THE FUCK AWAY from the music industry, in particular the EDM scene. too scattered, independent to a fault and hard as fuck to account for. if you change you ideas, im a CPA and will ahppily help out if you decide your business should be non-music.
                Yeah
                anyone who would try to get involved in Music has got to be mad!

Sean did you shave your head?
                Holosound@Vertigo in Costa Rica Streaming Video and Audio http://livestream.com/urbanettv/vide...8-c5911280cf91

Part of the weekend never dies...

Comment

Working...