X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MJ
    Here since 2002
    • Jun 2004

Prozac in our water!!!

Traces of the antidepressant Prozac can be found in the nation's drinking water, it has been revealed.
    An Environment Agency report suggests so many people are taking the drug nowadays it is building up in rivers and groundwater.

A report in Sunday's Observer says the government's environment watchdog has discussed the impact for human health.

A spokesman for the Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) said the Prozac found was most likely highly diluted.

'Alarming'

The newspaper says environmentalists are calling for an urgent investigation into the evidence.

It quotes the Liberal Democrats' environment spokesman, Norman Baker MP, as saying the picture emerging looked like "a case of hidden mass medication upon the unsuspecting public".

He says: "It is alarming that there is no monitoring of levels of Prozac and other pharmacy residues in our drinking water."

Experts say the anti-depression drug gets into the rivers and water system via treated sewage water.

Prescriptions increase

The DWI said the Prozac (known technically as fluoxetine) was unlikely to pose a health risk as it was so "watered down".

The Observer says the revelations raise new fears over how many prescriptions for the drug are given out by doctors.

In the decade leading up to 2001, the number of prescriptions for antidepressants went up from nine million per year to 24 million per year, says the paper.

The Environment Agency report concluded that the Prozac in the water table could be potentially toxic and said the drug was a "potential concern".

The exact amount of Prozac in the nation's drinking water is not known.
    I`m happy
    mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum
  • Neo
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

I yearn for the day when MDMA makes it into our waters.

Comment

• Steve Graham
      DJ Jelly
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Neo
      YES!!!

I'm sure you did... but did you know mdma was originally used for marriage counseling.

Comment

• peloquin
        Till I Come!
        • Jun 2004

Marriage Dull? Marriage Awesome!

i can see that

Comment

• MJ
          Here since 2002
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by unome
          Originally posted by Neo
          YES!!!

I'm sure you did... but did you know mdma was originally used for marriage counseling.
          I thought it was given to guys in the army in the second world war so i thought i`d look it up. Quite suprising what you find in the intaarnet.

Origin and Current Sourcing

MDMA was first created in 1912, with a patent received in 1913 (patent #274.350) by the German chemical/pharmaceutical company, Merck. Though no intended use was identified in the patent, many believe it was intended as an appetite suppresant. The drug was never marketed. Interest in the drug resurfaced with the work of Alexander Shulgin, a research biochemist with Dow Chemicals. Shulgin investigated several pyschoactive drugs during his tenure with Dow (as well as afterwards), describing some 179 of them in detail. He is believed to be the first human to take MDMA. Until it?s was banned in 1985, its use was advocated by some psychiatrists and psychologists for persons in certain psychotherapy sessions. At thewell-publicized hearings that took place to identify its proper scheduling as a controlled substance, the presiding judge recommended Schedule III (available by prescription only and subject to further research); the DEA overruled him and placed it as a Schedule I narcotic with no approved uses in the U.S.

Heaven

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• neoee
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Neo
            YES!!!

Actually it was initially used as a weight loss drug. But it was also used for marriage counseling as well.
            "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Steve Graham
              DJ Jelly
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by neoee
              Originally posted by Neo
              YES!!!

Actually it was initially used as a weight loss drug. But it was also used for marriage counseling as well.
              yep, i see that, i didnt realise it went that far back. nice work lads!

Comment

• Neo
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

Yeah good work. I didn't know it went that far back I had heard of Alexander Shulgin but didn't know he had brought back the interest. Also, wasn't acid used in WWII or around there.

Comment

• neoee
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by neoee
                  Originally posted by Neo
                  YES!!!

yep, i see that, i didnt realise it went that far back. nice work lads!
                  Oops, I must have started my post as MJ was submitting his. But since I'm already posting, something else of interest:

Report of US Army tests on MDMA, from Rick Doblin president of the Multi-disciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies in the U.S.

In the 1950's, MDMA was one of the analogs of MDA that were given to animals by the U.S. army at the Edgwood Arsenal, which was then investigating drugs for use in chemical warfare. There is no evidence in the public domain to indicate that MDMA, which was code named EA-1475 (Experimental Agent 1475), was ever given to humans or was tried as a truth serum.
                  Taken from "E for Ecstasy" by Nicholas Saunders
                  "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Morgan
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

Re:: Prozac in our water!!!

Back on the old water topic.

Londons water on average has passed through 7 people before it is returned to the sea or falls as rain. As a result male fertility has decreased due the amount of ostrogen and estrogen injested.

imagine that all you londoners, you drinking the treated piss of 7 people.
                    "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• MJ
                      Here since 2002
                      • Jun 2004

^^ thank god i get it fresh off the pennines.

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• neoee
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Too bad we can't use this excuse as to why we failed our drug test. :wink:

Comment

• Steve Graham
                          DJ Jelly
                          • Jun 2004

Re:: Prozac in our water!!!

Originally posted by Morgan
                          Back on the old water topic.

Londons water on average has passed through 7 people before it is returned to the sea or falls as rain. As a result male fertility has decreased due the amount of ostrogen and estrogen injested.

imagine that all you londoners, you drinking the treated piss of 7 people.

nice try, what the hell are you drinking? at least when you go to england you dont have to boil every ounce of water you drink for fear of having the 3 bob bits for the duration of your stay.

Comment

• esef
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

this is what i have at home, just in case :

All PUR Ultimate Faucet Mounts provide healthy, great-tasting water right from your tap at a fraction of the cost of bottled water.
                            FILTER

3-time Breakspoll nominated in the 'Best Website' category

Comment

• palmer
                              Retired or Simply Important
                              • Jun 2004

do your faucet mounts have prozac filters?
                              todayistomorrow
                              art direction | design | animation

Comment

Working...