X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Arielius-- Tomtom. great news guys.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

A clinic that offers treatment for people addicted to playing computer games has opened in the Netherlands.

The service, run by addiction consultancy Smith and Jones, offers a program lasting up to eight weeks.
    The clinic estimates that up to 20% of gamers, many of which are children, could develop a dependency.
    Compulsive gamers have similar symptoms to gambling addicts, they say, and risk damage to relationships, health, education and their careers.
    "I lived in my room. I have 4 televisions around me, with one X-Box 360, PlayStation 2, X-Box 1 and a Game Cube and a lap-top, where I can play online games," said Tim, a 21 year old who has received treatment at the clinic.
    Tim played games for up to 17 hours a day.
    "I have no social life, I have no friends - only cyber-friends"
    Obsessive behaviour
    The new eight-bed residential clinic in Amsterdam was set up in response to a growing demand for people with gaming addictions. It is the first of its kind in Europe.
    Initially gaming was a secondary issue for many of the patients who came to the clinic to seek help for other addictions.
    We help them find other ways to deal with life and they begin to develop true self esteem.

Keith Bakker, consultant

Eventually the sheer number of addicts forced the clinic to set up a dedicated programme.
    "They kept on coming in so we started taking it more and more seriously," said Keith Bakker, an addiction consultant at the centre.
    Addicted gamers display many symptoms, including obsessive thinking and health problems. Others may use stimulants to keep awake during gaming marathons.
    Some who play online multiplayer games may feel extreme guilt about leaving fellow gamers if they switch their console off.
    Last year a man in South Korea died after spending 50 hours playing an online game.
    Addicts may also experience "time warps" where all other activities are replaced with gaming. This can take extreme forms.
    Tim could not even wrestle himself away from the screen for long enough to go to the toilet.
    "I take an empty bottle and I pee into it," he said.
    The treatment involves a period of detox when patients are not allowed access to any computer games.
    This is followed by group therapy and sessions with psychologists, psychiatrists and therapists.
    The clinic also tries to find replacement activities to fill the void left by giving up gaming. "We help them find other ways to deal with life and they begin to develop true self esteem," says Mr Bakker.
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.
  • KinKyJ
    Platinum Poser
    • Jun 2004

Re: Arielius-- Tomtom. great news guys.

Last year a man in South Korea died after spending 50 hours playing an online game.
    NK needs more lan parties!!!!

Comment

• thesightless
      • Jun 2004

lol, after hearing that TT dropped 240 hours on oblivion, i nearly shit myself.

Comment

• TomTom
        Paging Doctor Weeds...we have a shortage on 1st St.
        • May 2002

240 hours in a 3 month period though. Still much, I know but this Game (Oblivion) sucked me in completely. Normally I don't have that much time to play anymore because my (paid) daylight job and Mercuryserver keep me on the PC too long already anyway. But when I had time on the weekend, I played Oblivion 10 hours in a row or in a morning and night session.

Computer Games can surely be problematic and lead to a proper addiction if it is your only way of getting rewards and recognition. With E-Sports becoming more and more popular, I am sure that more and more clinics like this will see the light of the Day and more people will face severe problems that result from abusive playing and the consequences are nearly the same like with any other drug you abuse.

Comment

• thesightless
          • Jun 2004

waitasecond.

did you actually use the term E-sports? no no no. its just video games and lazy people. trust me i pley them. but a sport. no.

tomtom is officially responsible for July 18's sign of the apocolypse

Comment

• BureOne
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

Playing games online can lead to problems if one does not control themselves. Depending on what you got going outside of that of course.

My girlfirend could not stand it! lol, I was lying to her, rejecting her phone calls, I would not pay attention to anything around me at the time of playing.

I kinda stopped now. After pwning noObs on a constant and getting accused of hacking in consufion with my bad ass skillz... I kinda got tired of it.

bf2 now. will see how that goes.

Comment

• day_for_night
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

nothing like that monitor-tan...so natural.

Comment

• MJDub
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by BureOne
                My girlfirend could not stand it! lol, I was lying to her, rejecting her phone calls, I would not pay attention to anything around me at the time of playing.
                Haha. That's beanz-style asshattishness.
                http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• KinKyJ
                  Platinum Poser
                  • Jun 2004

^^^ forget what I said about NK, let's get beanz a playstation

Comment

• thesightless
                    • Jun 2004

1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g3t l41d

Comment

• beanzncheez
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by KinKyJ
                      ^^^ forget what I said about NK, let's get beanz a playstation
                      I've got a Nintendo, Genesis, Sega Master System, Atari, Playstation & PS2.
                      But they're mostly in boxes because my kids rather play on the computer.

Comment

• KinKyJ
                        Platinum Poser
                        • Jun 2004

Re: Areolaus-- Tomtom. great news guys.

well let's get you an Xbox then. Anything to do the trick.

Comment

• Daniel_Hemp
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

oh!! great

Smoke to all................

It does not smoke cigarette because lungs you have only two.
                          Smoke marijuana; because neurons you have million.

Comment

• beanzncheez
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by KinKyJ
                            well let's get you an Xbox then. Anything to do the trick.
                            Why the fuck would I want to play games on an XBox? I'm hetero. Dumbass.

Comment

Working...