X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • algy
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Proper GPS

I've recently discovered the need to have a GPS while in my vehicle and while cycling. My vehicle is not new by any means and did not come equipped w/ mobile GPS. I did some research for a unit and finally settled.

If you are in the market, avoid all SONY products, as they are in the 1st year of manufacturing. TomTom was a top choice of mine, but after taking 30 minutes to play and interact with the interface and units I found Garmin Nuvi 360 to be my choice.

Some key notes for the 360 that stood out:
    1) Price is a bit high at $800.. extended warranty and tax $950.
    2) Voice directions including street names. Most just say "turn left in 300 yards" without letting you know what fucking street to turn on.
    3) Auto detection Night driving mode, switches the LCD colors and makes you feel like you are in a submarine.
    4) Very compact, smaller than most PDA units and the suction mount is very very small.
    5) 5 hr rechargeable battery life, comes w/ Wall and Lighter recharges.
    6) Built in mp3 storage and player... scrap your Nano!
    7) Transportation modes: Vehicle, Cycle, Pedestrian. Great for leaving the car and meeting destinations on foot.
    Fucking interface is amazingly easy. I stumbled around in SONY's UI, but Garmin is top notch and fast.
    9) Sick statistical data collection capability. Interface displays your current speed, estimates ETA, total trip time, highest speed, avg speed, total stop time.. etc..

Factory Detail Features:
    -------------------------------------
    • Receiver: high-sensitivity WAAS-capable GPS receiver by SiRF
    • Display: 2.8” W x 2.1” H (3.5” diag.), 320 x 240 pixels; bright, TFT display, 64K colors, with white backlight and touch screen
    • Unit dimensions: 3.87" W x 2.91" H x 0.87" D (98.3 mm x 73.9 mm x 22.1 mm)
    • Weight: 5.1 ounces (144.6 grams)
    • Battery: built-in lithium ion battery — between 4-8 hours of battery life depending on use
    • Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling
    • Supports FM TMC traffic alerting
    • Includes Garmin Lock™, an anti-theft feature
    • Voice announces streets by name
    • Preloaded maps for all of North America or Europe
    • Fingertip touch-screen interface
    • Look up addresses and points of interest
    • Choose 2D or 3D map perspective
    • Upload custom POIs, including alerts for speed zones and safety cams with POI Loader
    • Built in Travel Kit includes MP3 player with sample MPs, audio books, picture viewer, world clock, currency and measurement converters, calculator and more
    • Add optional software such as Travel and Language Guides to personalize nüvi
    • SD memory card expansion slot
    • USB interface for loading data
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Too much love making, makes for poor match play." - Algy
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Re: Proper GPS

I need to get one... heard good things about a brand called Eclips that I will probably get for my car
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• beanzncheez
        Banned
        • Jun 2004

I've played around with a few of them and don't really use them for directions to get around but to find places to eat when I'm in a part of the country that I've never been in. I've used some Garmins and Magellans. I highly recommend spending the money on a quality unit and don't ever got with those POS phone based ones or the shit like NeverLost in a Hertz rental. It'll tell you to make a right turn while on the bay bridge.

Comment

• Kamal
          Administrator
          • May 2002

Algy and me spent the weekend together and I had the opportunity to play with this bad boy. Must admit I am impressed with the size and ease of use with this unit. It doesn't have BlueTooth (the upgraded version that costs $200 more has it), which is my only point of debate at this stage but I'm sold for the most part.

Excellently made
          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• beanzncheez
            Banned
            • Jun 2004

How many points of interest does it have and does it have the feature to look a few steps ahead on your directions?

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

has about 6 million points of interest, not sure what you mean by look ahead a few steps, isn't that what a GPS is supposed to do ?
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• FM
                Wooooooo!
                • Jun 2004

Garmins are tops usually, Eclipse's aren't bad with their interfaces...

definitely got one on the wish list though.
                FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                Facebook!
                A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• beanzncheez
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kamal
                  has about 6 million points of interest, not sure what you mean by look ahead a few steps, isn't that what a GPS is supposed to do ?
                  6 Million isn't too bad but isn't that what the mid-range models have? Is this a mid-range model? As for the "look ahead", you'd be surprised at how many GPS devices won't let you look at the next few steps/directions while you're en route somewhere.

Comment

• Kamal
                    Administrator
                    • May 2002

6 million is pretty good, the Acura's have the best navs on the market and they have about 5.5 million. the 2007 series Acura's are supposed to get around 7 million. My only concern with this unit is if there is anyway to connect to their site via the web and download / update POIs and Maps

though I will admit that I was surprised that even in an armpit sized town of Cumberland, lanes that were literally 20 feet long with just 2 houses on them were actually listed by their name on the Nav. THAT was what sold me about the unit.
                    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• beanzncheez
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2004

Ha ha. Pretty cool. I know the higher end models usually have at least 8 million points of interest but I'm pretty sure that 6 million is sufficient for most people.
                      If you're able to get updates, and not have to pay, that'd be crazy because I know that's a gripe that many people have with their existing units. Having to pay $100 to $300 to update with the latest maps, additions, etc. bites.

Comment

• algy
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by beanzncheez
                        Ha ha. Pretty cool. I know the higher end models usually have at least 8 million points of interest but I'm pretty sure that 6 million is sufficient for most people.
                        If you're able to get updates, and not have to pay, that'd be crazy because I know that's a gripe that many people have with their existing units. Having to pay $100 to $300 to update with the latest maps, additions, etc. bites.
                        Great point Beanz, once you register your Garmin unit, all updates are notified to you via email, map pack, points of interest, firmware, etc... Then download, usb the device and install.
                        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                        "Too much love making, makes for poor match play." - Algy

Comment

• beanzncheez
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2004

^ ^ That's fucking great. I'll have to look into that if I ever decide that I'm lazy enough to buy one.

Comment

• Kamal
                            Administrator
                            • May 2002

So I dropped the cash and picked up the exact same one yesterday. I saw the TomTom 910 and thought the display was better because it even showed Gas Stations along the route. Unfortunately the sales guy said the TomTom sucks because of the amount of crashes and software failures they have seen in the recent past. He strongly recommended I stick with Garmin as a product.

I also didn't have the heart to spend $180 more just for BlueTooth capability on the Nuvi 360 so I ended up buying the 350.

Loving it so far. Have a long ass drive to IN / Chicago this weekend so I'll post an update then. BTW the Battery Life is awesome, the unit out of the box is fully charged and on my hour long drive home, it stayed on. However I am a little concerned about the voice quality on the unit, the Text To Speech voices they have seem to be cracking when coming out of the Unit's speakers.
                            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• beanzncheez
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2004

^ ^ Exchange that bitch for a replacement. That blows. Hopefully it's just a defective unit that you possess.

Comment

Working...