• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

This blows

[rant]

Was coming home from softball last night, and a storm erupted out of literally nowhere -- one minute it was hot, and then it was apparent that something serious was going to happen. As the sky got darker literally by the second, I pulled into my garage, ran into my house, threw open the blinds and curtains, and told my wife we were in for a whale of a storm

Little did I know how right I was. I'm normally a big fan of storms, but this one fucking sucked. First, the power went out -- I went up to my second floor balcony to see if there were any limbs on the power lines, which there were. I also looked up and saw three different layers of clouds, all quickly blowing in different directions -- ffs, they don't ever write about that sort of weather in the Bible! By now, it's starting to pour, so I head in to take a shower (in the dark, but had to do it), have an impromptu candlelight dinner, etc.

The rain finally stops and everyone on the street heads outside to survey the damage. The neighborhood looks like a bomb went off -- downed trees and debris everywhere. My neighbor offers to help me with my tree.

"What tree?" I say. "I don't have any trees." Well, I do now. The top of a neighbor's tree broke off, bounced off of my garage, and landed in my backyard, straddling all of the power lines to my house. The thing fills up the whole fucking yard and reaches up to the second floor. I don't know what the fuck I'm going to down with this thing -- it's massive. More importantly, though, all of the power lines run right through it and the moment they turn the juice back on, it's going to get fried. Who knows what sorts of new problems I'll have then. Do I sit around in my oven of a house for the next 5 days to make sure it doesn't catch fire when they restore power to the lines, or just seek shelter and hope for the best?

Approximately 500,000 homes in St. Louis are without power -- mine included -- and we're looking at 3-5 days before we get it back. 100+ degrees here for the next few days with no a/c. What a fucking mess. And the crazy thing is that rain wasn't even in the forecast, as far as I'm aware. One minute I'm playing softball in the sun, the next I'm sweating my tail off in my dark-ass living room.

[/rant]
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: This blows

james. you are an attorney. you damn well know your neighbor is liable for removal of tree. and repairing your lawn and garage and any fence you own on the property.

on the other hand, we had this sick electrical storm roll in on tuesday night. i sat on the beach and watch lightning go off every 2 seconds. it essentially was a strobelight in the sky.
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• geoffgulley
      Platinum Poster
      • Apr 2005

^^ i feel ya man... same thing happened to me last night here in cincy. at least you weren't at busch for the game.. i heard that was a holy nightmare. at least you're ok and the energy company should remove the lines and tree and/or your neighbors homeowners insurance.
      "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• toasty
        Sir Toastiness
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
        james. you are an attorney. you damn well know your neighbor is liable for removal of tree. and repairing your lawn and garage and any fence you own on the property.
        Oh, no question there. The damage is the least of my concerns. I'm more concerned about the pain-in-the-ass component of it. It was so fucking hot in my house last night, I slept on the hardwood because it was the coldest surface I could find. Ever sleep on a hardwood floor? Suffice it to say, I'm never doing that again...

My house is effectively useless, and I've got a dog to tote around with us as well. Oh well. Que sera sera. Gotta deal.

Comment

• threehills
          I heart Lollergirl
          • Jun 2005

at least the tree didn't go through the garage (and wreck you car). Sorry for the tough situation! Motel it til the powers back?
          It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• Jibgolly
            Vortexuralizor
            • Jun 2004

damn toasty, sorry to hear of it. was it a tornado ar just a wack miscellaneous storm?
            if your power is going to be out for an undetermined amount of time, you might consider getting a hotel room somewhere. if any are available. also, aren't you from new orleans? living on the gulf coast your whole life you should know to have an emergency generator on hand. even if you live in the middle of the country, its obvious mother nature is nt picky when she wants to destroy.

best of luck getting over it mate!

Comment

• Morgan
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Bad luck.

Still brighside your house isn't located in downtime Beirut.
              "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• Lorn
                Looking for a title!
                • Sep 2004

Sorry to hear dude...hope you get the a/c back up soon...it sure is hot, ugh!

Comment

• toasty
                  Sir Toastiness
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by threehills
                  at least the tree didn't go through the garage (and wreck you car). Sorry for the tough situation! Motel it til the powers back?
                  Yep, got a room a bit ago. Jenks is in the same situation, so he and I are going to try to meet up this evening and make some lemonade...

Comment

• toasty
                    Sir Toastiness
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jibgolly
                    damn toasty, sorry to hear of it. was it a tornado ar just a wack miscellaneous storm?
                    Evidently, it was just a wack storm, although we did have some of that oddly-colored sky you see around tornado time. It seriously came out of nowhere. Damndest thing...

Yeah, probably should have had a generator handy. Missouri is part of tornado alley, but I live deep enough in the city that twisters tend to die by the time they would hit us, so it's never really been an issue in St. Louis proper. Part of what made this storm kind of odd is that it moved from east to west which is some pretty crazy shit...

Thanks for the kind thoughts, all...

Comment

• Jenks
                      I'm kind of a big deal.
                      • Jun 2004

i'm sittin in the parking lot of a hotel in downtown stl that has power robbing wifi from them waiting until i can check into the hotel. Fuck it's HOOOT!!! Temp says 105.

My camera is dead or i'd take pics of my street and neighborhood, huge trees down, cars smashed. Worst storm to hit stl in 50 years they're saying. We're supposed to get power back in 72 hours minimum. Downtown stl has power restored, but outlaying areas do not. I got a hotel room for tonight, and tomorrow night, so i think they have internet, and i'll take some pics with my phone of my street and neighbors who were not so lucky as i. Such a freaking mess. Glad i'm heading out of town for the weekend.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                        Double hoodie beer monster
                        • Jun 2004

sorry to hear, fellas. storms usually head from west to east, so I'm surprised KC didn't go through this too. DancingQueen doesn't even have air conditioning in her house... so I guess it could be worse eh?

Comment

• thesightless
                          • Jun 2004

St. Louis People-- jenks, toasty, etc

anyone in the areas you have to evacutate with this heat and no power?

Comment

• evangelion
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Read about this on ESPN.com, a bunch of people got hurt at Busch Stadium. Some crazy ass out-of-nowhere storm. Looks like us Floridians aren't the only ones who have to watch our backs.

Hope all gets well, guys!!! I know how much no AC in 100 degree heat sucks. Stay cool. Literally.

Comment

• thesightless
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by toasty
                              I slept on the hardwood because it was the coldest surface I could find. Ever sleep on a hardwood floor? Suffice it to say, I'm never doing that again...

actually i havent slept on a matress in weeks. my back is shit and all banged up. sleeping on the floor is the only way i can get up in the morning without severe pain.

but i agree with the heat. it was 103 here the other day. i love that weather though. 90+ is awesome when you arent trying to sleep.

Comment

Working...