X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clintlove
    Hey girl, ya Hungry?
    • Jun 2004

Ww[ms]d?

So for about two months it's been known around work and friends that I plan to move to Albuquerque, NM. Two of my closest friends just bought a house and need a roomate. I've also been wanting to use my Graphic Design degree and planned to start a freelance business when I get out there. The guys seem to love the place and think I would too. I've been very excited about this move up until two days ago.

My boss calls me while I'm at work and wants to take me to lunch. Didn't think anything of it until I realized the sales manager was coming too. Now I figured they were up to something. Sure enough over lunch, my boss makes me an offer to stay with the company. He wants me to stay for 6 more months, during which our company will be making some big changes and possibly opening a store in New Orleans. He offered me a $2400 bonus and a management postion. After that 6 months, if I decided to still leave, he would make another offer.

So I'm really pissed about the situation. He waited until two weeks before my move to spring this shit on me. If he'd of done this a month ago, I most likely would have stayed, but now, it doesn't seem so enticing.

I've got some things to think about, however. I'm somewhat moving to NM blind. I've never seen the house or visited the city. That's my fault for not visiting first, but I was trying to make as much money as I could before leaving. I've been really excited about this though. The guys I'm moving in with are great guys and would definitely help me out with my design work. It's a new place with new people and new opportunities. I could stay here, but don't know if it's the smart thing to do or the comfortable thing to do.

WW[MS]D?

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

Re: Ww[ms]d?

you're right about the 2 week spring. had your boss done it earlier it would have been smarter on his part. once you have your heart set on moving there isnt much to talk you out of it. can you salvage the relationship with your boss now, so if things dont work out in albeerqueerkey, you have a job when you come back?

Comment

• clintlove
      Hey girl, ya Hungry?
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jibgolly
      you're right about the 2 week spring. had your boss done it earlier it would have been smarter on his part. once you have your heart set on moving there isnt much to talk you out of it. can you salvage the relationship with your boss now, so if things dont work out in albeerqueerkey, you have a job when you come back?
      I'm sure I can, but don't know if I'd ever come back...

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• Kamal
        Administrator
        • May 2002

Do this, postpone your journey to NM by 6 weeks (instead of 2) and see how the new position with hopefully more salary makes you feel, especially in the management role. If your boss waited 2 weeks before you leave to play the higher card on you, keep your trump card handy, in that don't honor the 6 month wait if the new role sucks balls. If its worth the money and the job to stay back, then its a no brainer, if the "management" position doesn't excite you in the next 6 weeks, you can still head out to NM.

In the end, what do you lose ? 1 month.

I say stay back. Both opportunities offer change and change is always good. Moreover, this way you have the first hand option of trying BOTH. If you leave now, you'll never know how good being management really was.
        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
        he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
        Originally posted by ace_dl
        Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
        I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• shosh
          Banned
          • Jun 2004

go now live life youre young

Comment

• anonin
            Juvenile Delinquent
            • Oct 2005

tl:dr (couldnt resist)

Comment

• thesightless
              Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
              • Jun 2004

do whatever will make you happy. follow your passion. if you arent happy working now, the xtra 46.15 a week isnt going to suddenly make you happy.

i.e. move.
              your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
              download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• superdave
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

This is a common workplace occurence and happened to me twice at one job. The first time I stayed when they offered me promotion and salary increase. However, the second time around I moved to a different organization and that was the right move.

My point is that its happened to me and I know many others who were upset that they weren't offered the better position sooner. Its like they had to threaten to quit to get promoted. But, that's the way business seems to work.

As for your case, its all up to you and what you want to do with your life. My guess is that if you stay then you'll just be prolonging pursuing your interests.
                Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• Mr.Big
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Nov 2004

Id say move.. theres nothing like breaking the norm and u may find great things in NM.. on the otherhand it maygo tales up but u only learn from livin..

Do it man.
                  www.twitter.com/mikeoreilly
                  Pimps up Hoes down.

Comment

• ShawnD64
                    Quickshot the Minute Man
                    • Jan 2005

move baby move. dont let money run your life. you wanted to leave in the first place, why should this change anything, dont let money get in the way of your passion.
                    http://soundcloud.com/scd64
                    http://www.myspace.com/scd64
                    http://b-sidesradio.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Funky Dredd
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Kamal
                      Do this, postpone your journey to NM by 6 weeks (instead of 2) and see how the new position with hopefully more salary makes you feel, especially in the management role. If your boss waited 2 weeks before you leave to play the higher card on you, keep your trump card handy, in that don't honor the 6 month wait if the new role sucks balls. If its worth the money and the job to stay back, then its a no brainer, if the "management" position doesn't excite you in the next 6 weeks, you can still head out to NM.

In the end, what do you lose ? 1 month.

I say stay back. Both opportunities offer change and change is always good. Moreover, this way you have the first hand option of trying BOTH. If you leave now, you'll never know how good being management really was.
                      I agree with this statement. Plus you'll be able to add a little more cash in the account for some padding just in case you need it.
                      Mutations presents Change The Music

Mutations (original show)

Mutations presents Change The Music airs 4th Friday of the month on SaturoSounds

Comment

• etincelles
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2005

Last edited by etincelles; March 24, 2010, 03:31:41 PM.

Comment

• KinKyJ
                          Platinum Poser
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Funky Dredd
                          I agree with this statement. Plus you'll be able to add a little more cash in the account for some padding just in case you need it.
                          I'm with Kamal and Funky. Apart from what they said, you should ask yourself what will get you the most added value in the long run.

Working on management level is an opportunity to learn new skills, to get experience on a level not many people can reach and to make new contacts and expand your business network.

If you ever decide to go freelance, the above comes in very handy. If you don't, it will look great on your resume.

Yeah yeah, walking on the wild side is fun and what not when you're a student. When you're on the labour market and have bills to pay, it's a dumb thing to do... My two cents tho'

And btw, as far as I can tell from what you've posted the only reason for you to move is because your friends need a roomie. The rest of what you said are just excuses (meaning that you use them to convince yourself of something you're not sure of). I know that sounds very harsh, so I'll explain...

- I'm sure they're great people and that the place is cool, but great people and a cool place won't pay the bills.
                          - I'm sure that they will try to help you out with the freelancing, but unless they have a rolodex with contacts and potential clients, I think you'll be disappointed.
                          - I'm sure that moving might bring along new opportunities, but wasn't that what your boss is offering you in the first place?

If I were in your shoes, I'd do some straight and honest thinking to separate real reasons from the excuses and above all I'd live my life for me, myself and I.

Comment

• feather
                            Shanghai ooompa loompa
                            • Jul 2004

Why are you moving to begin with? To start a new opportunities/business or for a change of environment? If it's for new opportunities, sounds like your boss is offering you just that, with more pay. If it's for a change of environment, obviously staying back (for the extra pay and management role) is not going to give you what you want.

KinkyJ's got some good points (when it's not all about tits )

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• palmer
                              Retired or Simply Important
                              • Jun 2004

bounce.

I don't know what you do right now.... I'm assuming its not design but doing what you love to and to get paid for it is very gratifying. I actually look forward to going to work everyday and it feels amazing.

I'd leave and get into design as soon as you can.
                              todayistomorrow
                              art direction | design | animation

Comment

Working...