Using different make CDJ's - big difference?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shan
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

DJing Using different make CDJ's - big difference?

Hi all,

I have 2 dn s1000's and a djm 300 mixer and at the moment I am trying to get some warm up sets in some clubs close to me. My only fear is I have never played at a club before and dont know what to expect in terms of equipment. Obviously I would find out exactly before the gig and do some reserach on it but generally have any of you found a big difference in using other cdj's to those that you are used to? and what is it like using monitors to control the sound? I have only read about them never seen them.

hope someone has some good advice for me

thanks

Mick
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Using different make CDJ's - big difference?

i have played out in places with no monitor. not fun at all. and if the tracks have high treble washes in them, then u b fooked. cuz the cymbals just get droned out with the washes.

1. ask ahead.
    2. use ur own equiment if needed.
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• thesightless
      Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
      • Jun 2004

and in regards to the CDJs

i find that the denons are a bit twitchy, but lord do they have a ton of functions. the best feel IMO, are the CDJ 800's and 1000's. anything below them tends to lag out if you use the stylus to adjust. people who use the pitch bend to adjust never have a prtoblem.

lastly, i would always say to pop a CD in and cue up the headphones and futz with the pitch and stylus. you'll learn quick when you have less then 2 minutes to get teh mix done.
      your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
      download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
        Not cool enough
        • Jun 2004

you'll probably find yourself in plenty of places where you have to cue mix in your headphones. I've spun on the Denon 1000's and love the little guys.
        Jeffrey Collins: Painter
        My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
        My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Outofanalog
          Fresh Peossy
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by thesightless
          and in regards to the CDJs

the best feel IMO, are the CDJ 800's and 1000's. anything below them tends to lag out if you use the stylus to adjust.
          I agree.. the cdj 1000's are the best.

Otherwise, as long as your just trying to match beats (i.e. not using some of the advanced features some tables have) you'll do just fine.

Comment

• alexfish333
            Gold Gabber
            • Jul 2004

The thing is that if you are just starting out then the equipment at the places that will give you your first shot will most likely not be as dope as the industry standard Pioneer CDJ 1000. When we were just starting out we would get those garbage dual deck ones with no platter or anything. And sometimes one would not cue and you'd have to mix on the fly etc etc. If you are lucky enough to use the Pioneers you shouldn't have any problems at all they work very similarly to actual turntables IMO. As Sean says though, when you have 2 minutes to get a mix done you'll really have no choice but to figure it out pretty quickly.....
            Holosound@Vertigo in Costa Rica Streaming Video and Audio http://livestream.com/urbanettv/vide...8-c5911280cf91

Part of the weekend never dies...

Comment

• shan
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

do the pioneers have pitch bend buttons?

Comment

• alexfish333
                Gold Gabber
                • Jul 2004

No pitch bend but you wouldn't need it with that sweet ass rotor inteface platter-it's way more turntable-y
                Holosound@Vertigo in Costa Rica Streaming Video and Audio http://livestream.com/urbanettv/vide...8-c5911280cf91

Part of the weekend never dies...

Comment

• shan
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

would love to have a shot on one. I might think of investing. One would do me for the moment I guess

Comment

• Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Oct 2005

here is another idea shan. have a pre planned set for say your first 4 -6 songs. know how to mix them etc so that would give u time to play around with the new souroundings and work out what u can and can't do on the cd decks. that should be pleanty of time to get u moving and then u can mix and match and be more confident. then the following week u will know what to expect and nt have a pre planned set at all. Hope that helps just an idea i thought of if i was in your situation

Comment

• FM
                      Wooooooo!
                      • Jun 2004

depends on the club...if it's a cheaper-type setup, it'll more likely be a dual-deck Denon CD player to fit in a rack mount.

"Regular" (as we know it) clubs will have Pioneer's. Always helps to ask ahead, and if any doubts about the condition or the equipment there, it never hurts to bring your Denon's with you and hook them up beforehand.

Monitors a club *should* have if it's a respectable setup...otherwise yes it's a pin as you'll have to rely more on your headphones then anything.
                      FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                      "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                      Facebook!
                      A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• hulkhuss
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by johns
                        here is another idea shan. have a pre planned set for say your first 4 -6 songs. know how to mix them etc so that would give u time to play around with the new souroundings and work out what u can and can't do on the cd decks. that should be pleanty of time to get u moving and then u can mix and match and be more confident. then the following week u will know what to expect and nt have a pre planned set at all. Hope that helps just an idea i thought of if i was in your situation
                        i agree
                        http://www.mixcloud.com/RMasie/

http://soundcloud.com/r-masie

https://www.facebook.com/R-Masie-117851198318029/

Comment

Working...