• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kinetic
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: Sasha

Horses for courses and all that.

That Malta set, 2007īs EM, 2005īs EM, his set with diggers at Rock In Rio last year... Those all made me go "OMFG you bastard!"

Itīs all down to personal opinion in the end, but Sashaīs knack for great melodies and basslines, for example, is really rare. Besides, Iīve discovered a shitload of good music because of his sets and interviews, it was through hearing him play remixes of Ulrich Schnauss, José Gonzalez or Engineers, for example, that I discovered those artists.

Most importantly, like someone else said, he has a signature sound thatīs all his and in this day and age that is a blessing.

And finally, his production work has mostly been stellar and he beats Digweed on that count, IMHO. Sure, you can say that itīs mostly Chralie May and pals who do that, but Nick Muir does the same for Digweed.
    "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
    http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• kervokian
      Getting Somewhere
      • Nov 2006

Sasha has had his ups and downs but everytime he gets back in shape he is on a special league where I only consider him plus guys like Danny Howells, John Digweed, SOS and Laurent Garnier. I saw him a few weeks ago in London at Ministry of Sound for a 5hours gig and boy he was on fire! Everyone has been talking about the Malta set, and it is indeed an amazing piece of art, but I must say that in MOS he was even fuckin better.

I think in the last 3-4 years he has been working really hard to get back on track to his best. We've had great compilations such as Fundacion or the more recent Invol2ver,the 2005 and 2007īs Essential Mix, or the absolutely GENIUS music score he made last year for the documentary "New Emissions of Light and Sound" and all those great productions he has been editing through his Emfire label.
      tsvba's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Comment

• simonr
        Transitionator
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kinetic
        Horses for courses and all that.

That Malta set, 2007īs EM, 2005īs EM, his set with diggers at Rock In Rio last year... Those all made me go "OMFG you bastard!"

Itīs all down to personal opinion in the end, but Sashaīs knack for great melodies and basslines, for example, is really rare. Besides, Iīve discovered a shitload of good music because of his sets and interviews, it was through hearing him play remixes of Ulrich Schnauss, José Gonzalez or Engineers, for example, that I discovered those artists.

Most importantly, like someone else said, he has a signature sound thatīs all his and in this day and age that is a blessing.

And finally, his production work has mostly been stellar and he beats Digweed on that count, IMHO. Sure, you can say that itīs mostly Chralie May and pals who do that, but Nick Muir does the same for Digweed.
        did you go to Rock in Rio Kinetic ... or was it recorded ?
        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Kinetic
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by simonr
          did you go to Rock in Rio Kinetic ... or was it recorded ?
          I went there... it took place in my town.

Donīt forget that Rock In Rio has become a franchise and theyīve had 2 editions in Lisbon and one in Madrid.

On the night we had Sasha & Digweed, and DJ Vibe.

EDIT : and thereīs a few videos of the night on Youtube of you serach for "Sasha Digweed Rock In Rio"
          "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
          http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

Sasha definitely has a ear for melodies, but I haven't heard a good bassline in a Sasha set for ages. There's no groove to most of his sets to be honest, just maintaining a peak.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Working...