X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mixu
    Travel Guru Extraordinaire
    • Jun 2004

Edit: now Civic's read it - the US presidential 'choices'

You might not agree with all he says - I don't - but it puts the 'choices' into perspective...

"This is the question which people ask themselves before almost every presidential election: why, when the United States is teeming with brilliant and inspiring people, are its voters so often faced with a choice between two deeply unimpressive men? I would have thought the answer was pretty obvious: because deeply unimpressive men continue to be elected..."

Those who insist that Nader supporters should vote for Kerry are holding back US democratisation. By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 17th August 2004 This is the question which people ask themselves before almost every presidential election: why, when the United States is teeming with brilliant and inspiring people, are its voters so often…
    Ask me a question...
  • Civic_Zen
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

"The Bad or the Terrible" Great Title

And overall a great read, thanks for the link. Almost everything in this article I wholeheartedly agree with. Especially the frightened, flinching man comment. I swear, Theresa wears the pants in that family.

Kerry?s ability to raise almost as much money as the Republicans is seen as a triumph for American democracy; but his corporate backers are funding him not because they believe in democracy, but because they believe that he will do what they want. And they are unlikely to be wrong. When Kerry gets his orders, he reports for duty.

The idea that this frightened, flinching man would oversee the necessary democratic revolution is preposterous. He has made the system work for him by working for the system. He knows that as soon as he turns against it, it will destroy him. What else does he have to fall back on? Charisma? Popular enthusiasm? He?s no Hugo Chavez.
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
    "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• asdf_admin
      i use to be important
      • Jun 2004

gosh ... i have been pushing this for a decade now.

the truth is ... the family of repubs and demogoblins has a root so deep in Americain history that it is hard for a regular good Joe to even have a chance. Besides the need of money to run, and etc. Most Presidents come from a very wealthy family, oil, gold, diamonds, etc. It is hard to beat that kind of wealth. It is bad root in our system, it really needs to be removed. It's so flawed and unfair.

This is just a rant ... the real question is how is it done?
      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• toasty
        Sir Toastiness
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by asdf_admin

This is just a rant ... the real question is how is it done?
        I know this won't solve the problem by a long stretch, but getting rid of the electoral college would be a good start. Why we continue to use this antiquated and archaic system to elect our president when we use popular vote for everything else is beyond me.

With the EC in place, candidates have to be affiliated with one party or the other to have a serious chance of winning. Maybe discarding that would allow some third party candidates to be taken seriously, since a vote for a 3d wouldn't be a throwaway vote, as it is now.

That doesn't really address the money problem, though. Indeed, one of the major benefits of being affiliated with a party is the financial backing it provides. The internet has proven to be a powerful fundraising tool this election cycle, though, so perhaps a groundswell of support behind a non-blue blood third-party candidate could allow him/her to raise enough money to compete.

Really, though, who knows? I'm not naive enough to think that any of this would actually result in some random person winning the presidency. Damn good question...

Comment

• asdf_admin
          i use to be important
          • Jun 2004

herm .... the EC has been an issue for a while ... yet it has worked. I understand that states like Cali which are is pretty much demogoblin and New York take up a lot of votes. Those are two of the worst Democratic states in the USA, and have been for some time. Surely I do not think getting rid of the EC is an answer, but surely some reform. Last election was an eye opener for many, how can some win by popular and still loose the election? lol. O well, tuff life, better luck next time.

Toast Muffin, it surely is a start. That is one small step. The thing there is really not much you can do. The nation runs on the top 5-7% of the most wealth'est people. They run this country. That is it. The only thing you can do is spread the wealth, but you can not because DemoDemons Or RePubics will not allow such a thing. It also looks Commie. It is a dead road. Perhaps that is why I like Bush ... "I am not a smart man Jeenny, but I know what love it" ... He has his heart in the right place, now excution wise ... well Houston we have a problem.

My solution. Close off all borders. Get rid of money, and start from ground zero. That is the only way, and it truly is. I was saying ... the roots go deep, so once you start messing with that, people go "hey buddy you can not touch that" If eliminate the rich that have been put there because of history, and stay weatlhy because of history. Not because they have worked or created something create in the last few decades ... do you see the problem ?
          dead, yet alive.

Comment

• toasty
            Sir Toastiness
            • Jun 2004

He has his heart in the right place, now excution wise ... well Houston we have a problem.
            Of course, if good intentions were sufficient qualifications, most of the country could run. Although, you would have to be a sick puppy, and probably a megalomaniac, to WANT to be president, so we might be stuck with the same two fuckers no matter what.

Another thing about the electoral college I was thinking as I was sitting here -- could you imagine how campaigning would change with no electoral college? Right now, candidates focus their time and energy on "battleground states" b/c they are either almost certain to win or lose the other states. If it were to become governed by the popular vote alone, pretty much everywhere would be fair game. Would candidates just stick to metropolitan areas where most of the people are?

Comment

• asdf_admin
              i use to be important
              • Jun 2004

that is a good point ...

also ... wouldn't it be nice to have more choices? like we do in normal life?

haha. it's like you have steak or you have cooked steak ... :wink:
              dead, yet alive.

Comment

• superdave
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

Re:: Edit: now Civic's read it - the US presidential 'choice

wouldn't it be great if it really didn't matter who won the presidency because all the candidates running were smart, trustworthy, and capable?

Instead, we have two choices on election day that are basically supported by the rich and special interest groups.
                Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• asdf_admin
                  i use to be important
                  • Jun 2004

yep. ain't that the truth. hesh.
                  dead, yet alive.

Comment

• factorg
                    Addiction started
                    • Jun 2004

My solution. Close off all borders. Get rid of money, and start from ground zero. That is the only way, and it truly is. I was saying ... the roots go deep, so once you start messing with that, people go "hey buddy you can not touch that" If eliminate the rich that have been put there because of history, and stay weatlhy because of history. Not because they have worked or created something create in the last few decades ... do you see the problem ?
                    Few truer words have been written
                    "..truth has a habit of marching on.."

Comment

• asdf_admin
                      i use to be important
                      • Jun 2004

i must admit it is a little crazy. but that is the only true solution.
                      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• Yao
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

Cutting out the cancer of power of inheritance and tradition based political power, and shifting to a merit-based political system?

Utopian, but I'd like to see that happen. Not just in the US.
                        Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• lmmadic
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jun 2004

In Belgium it is illegal for parties to get financial support from companies, they are allowed to have private fundings but there's a maximum amount of money an individual can donate.
                          they do get money from the government depending on there amount of senators the party has.
                          this would fix the problem of companies buying political decisions by supporting president candidates.
                          I still wouldn't improve the chances of candidates who aren't affiliated with parties tho.
                          sigpic

Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army. Edward Everett

Comment

• the sun the sea
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Re:: Edit: now Civic's read it - the US presidential 'choice

but his corporate backers are funding him not because they believe in democracy, but because they believe that he will do what they want. And they are unlikely to be wrong. When Kerry gets his orders, he reports for duty.
                            does anybody know of any benefits that come from politician whoring themselves at corporations? Aren't they just prostitutes in a 3-piece suit?

The Nation?s columnist Eric Alterman blames Al Gore?s defeat on Nader?s ?megalomania?.
                            shit, we need a third party in there to break this rep/dem option.

The contest is so close that if even a few thousand people vote for Nader rather than Kerry in the swing states, it could win the election for Bush. This is why Republicans have been giving money to Nader.
                            is nadar really taking money from republicans? now that's embarassing.
                            download dj sets at: www.mixwalla.com

Comment

• HoneyBearKelly
                              Addiction started
                              • Jun 2004

herm .... the EC has been an issue for a while ... yet it has worked. I understand that states like Cali which are is pretty much demogoblin and New York take up a lot of votes.
                              How has the Electoral College served us well in any sense?
                              1 person = 1 vote is the best.
                              California and New York should have the most say because they have the most people...duh!
                              Not only that but they also pay the most taxes and get fairly little in return.
                              Cat formerly known as Cheshire
                              *cue imperial death march"

Comment

Working...