X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Gustav Mahler

Anyone else love this dudes stuff? He's a fascinating person as well, I suggest listening to his symphony's if you have not!

Tonality, as an expressive and constructional principle, was clearly of great importance to Mahler. This is shown most clearly by his approach to the issue of so-called 'progressive tonality'.

He's like the John Digweed of the early 1900's.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • wowflutter
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Re: Gustav Mahler

Mahler is excellent. His 2nd & 9th are my favorites. Try to get your hands on the 2nd by Georg Solti (released by London) and the 9th's 1982 Live Recording by Karajan (released by Deutsche Gramophone).

wf
    "Wit is the epitaph of an emotion" - Nietzsche

Comment

• Kat
      A pretty fn good milkshake
      • Mar 2006

Mahler is good but I prefer Strauss - he gives me a real boost. Its not often that I listen to clasical music, but I usualy put on Symphonia Domestica when I'm cleaning my flat - keeps me in the mood
      ♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪• אין סוף •♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• floridaorange
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by wowflutter
        Mahler is excellent. His 2nd & 9th are my favorites. Try to get your hands on the 2nd by Georg Solti (released by London) and the 9th's 1982 Live Recording by Karajan (released by Deutsche Gramophone).

wf
        I will, thank you for the recommendation... my parents played mainly classical, opera, musicals, you get the idea...I think thats why I can enjoy it today (classical).

Comment

• etincelles
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2005

Last edited by etincelles; March 24, 2010, 03:30:31 PM.

Comment

• sammwalk
            Gold Gabber
            • Jun 2004

One of the best post-romantic composers. 3rd+5th symphonies are amazing. We can thank Bernstein for bringing Mahler to the forefront of public awareness.
            you definitely need a good sound system for this stuff.

Comment

• floridaorange
              • Dec 2005

I listened to a lecture from Soulseek about Mahler this weekend, very intersting person. Obsessed with tonality and how it evoked certain emotions. Dude was half Jewis and half German, and felt he never fit in, etc... I found some cool quotes:

"The point is not to take the world's opinion as a guiding star but to go one's way in life and working unerringly, neither depressed by failure nor seduced by applause"

“If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.”

"If you think you're boring your audience, go slower not faster.”

Comment

Working...