X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KinKyJ
    Platinum Poser
    • Jun 2004

Baghdad is Burning

I thought I had posted a thread about this already, but I must've forgotten... Anyway, the latest news manipulations in Lebanon reminded me again of Baghdad is Burning, a must read!

Baghdad is Burning is a blog published by a young Iraqi woman who calls herself "Riverbend". As soon as the first bombs were being dropped on Iraq and martial law was declared, she started to report on everyday life in Baghdad.

?A little bit about myself: I?m female, Iraqi and 24. I survived the war. That?s all you need to know. It?s all that matters these days anyway.?

That's how the blog starts. Riverbend's identity is carefully hidden to protect her life, but the weblog entries indicate that she's is a young, unmarried Iraqi woman, from a mixed Shia and Sunni family, living with her parents and brother in Baghdad. Before the United States occupation of Iraq she was a computer programmer.

It's not only the inside news which makes this blog a very interesting read, it's also because it's written from a female perspective. Apart from that the blog combines political statements with a large dose of Iraqi cultural information, such as the celebration of Ramadhan and examples of Iraqi cuisine. In other words it's a crossover between an underground manifesto and a cultural/historical guide to Iraq.

Her weblog entries have been collected and published as Baghdad Burning which was nominated for the Samuel Johnson prize this year. More info about the book here.

If you want to get informed on what really is going on in the chaos, who is terrorising who and why or get a ballanced view on some of the aspects of the islam, head over to http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

Imo this is a more credible and honest source of information than religionofpeace.com or any other propaganda website, no matter what color they have...
Working...