X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

OT: Waaaaay OT

OK, so I'm at dinner with my wife the other day and we music in the restaurant includes a big band/swing version of Van Halen's "Jump." My wife is hosting a bachelorette party soon and asked if I could figure out who did it, if there was anything else like it, etc. b/c she thought it would make good background music for an early part of the evening.

After some searching, I was able to figure out that it was Paul Anka, and that he had actually done an entire CD of big band covers of rock, alternative and new wave classics called "Rock Swings."

I realize this is a long shot, but I know people listen to more than just EDM on here, and I frankly know zilch about big band/swing/crooner-type music, so I figure it can't hurt to ask -- anyone aware of any other compilations out there like this, where you've got artists putting a more classical, old (really old) school take on popular music? I'd like to be able to find more for her if possible.

TIA
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: OT: Waaaaay OT

bill shatner's works
    the judge guy from caddyshack one and the mary tyler moore show did an album like that, but its way older.
    ill think more. i know a few of them
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• speciale
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by thesightless
      bill shatner's works
      the judge guy from caddyshack one and the mary tyler moore show did an album like that, but its way older.
      you mean ted knight
      Originally posted by Miroslav
      It's not like he grabbed his balls and sucked his dick. It's not like he gave the Saudis the original copy of the Constitution to use as toilet paper. It's not like he gave away the secret recipe to the Colonel's chicken. .
      No Soup for You

Comment

• Miroslav
        WHOA I can change this!1!
        • Apr 2006

It could have been Richard Cheese... This guy has made a career of doing these ridiculous crooning swing versions of stuff like Guns n Roses, NIN, 50 cent... Kinda like Weird Al Yankovich back in the day.

It's funny for about...2 minutes. Then it tends to get old.

mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• Morgan
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Robbie Williams - Swing when your winning.
          "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• thesightless
            Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
            • Jun 2004

someone find the james taylor version of DMX's tune that went------

all my niggas up in here, up in here, ya gonna make me lose my mind.
            your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
            download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
              Anyone have Styx livesets?
              • Jun 2004

sid viscious doing MY Way??
              ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• BSully828
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

She's got dumps like a truck truck truuuuuuuuck.
                Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
                a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

Comment

• toasty
                  Sir Toastiness
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Miroslav
                  It could have been Richard Cheese... This guy has made a career of doing these ridiculous crooning swing versions of stuff like Guns n Roses, NIN, 50 cent... Kinda like Weird Al Yankovich back in the day.

It's funny for about...2 minutes. Then it tends to get old.

www.richardcheese.com
                  Checked this out, but this is, well, pretty cheesey and tongue-in-cheek. The Paul Anka thing, in contrast, I did not immediately recognize as popular music. It had been completely redone with a new arrangement, and sounded like a serious remake as opposed to a novelty act.

Thanks tho

Comment

• MJDub
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
                    bill shatner's works
                    http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
                      • Jun 2004

I've heard a mate play me the Paul Anka stuff and you're right it was a pretty good conversion. I'm catching up with him tonight to see Snakes on a Plane so I'll ask him if he knows of any more.
                      "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

Working...