X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Oh, so we're fighting fascism now?

Any else notice that "fascist" and "fascism" have become the new buzzwords for what it is that we're fighting now? I guess the mystique of "terrorist" is wearing off, so the administration has to find a new term to scare the American public into allowing it to do whatever it wants, and what better term than "fascism," the force we were fighting in WWII, a war that everyone in their right mind agrees had to be found and was fought for the right reasons.

The problem, of course, is that what is going on in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere in the world is not fascism. Not even close. Bad, yes, but fascism, no. This is more than just a disagreement about semantics, though -- it transcends "spin" and is more emblematic of propaganda, which ironically is something that is part of a fascist regime. Attach the war to a term that everyone agrees is bad (whether it applies or not) and you have to support the war, right?

How dumb do Bush, Rummy et al think we are? I'll be curious to see how this goes over. Has the administration lost so much credibility now that people will see it for what it is, or will they get sucked in by this "new" "threat?"
  • anonin
    Juvenile Delinquent
    • Oct 2005

Re: Oh, so we're fighting fascism now?

Originally posted by toasty
    Any else notice that "fascist" and "fascism" have become the new buzzwords for what it is that we're fighting now? I guess the mystique of "terrorist" is wearing off, so the administration has to find a new term to scare the American public into allowing it to do whatever it wants, and what better term than "fascism," the force we were fighting in WWII, a war that everyone in their right mind agrees had to be found and was fought for the right reasons.

The problem, of course, is that what is going on in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere in the world is not fascism. Not even close. Bad, yes, but fascism, no. This is more than just a disagreement about semantics, though -- it transcends "spin" and is more emblematic of propaganda, which ironically is something that is part of a fascist regime. Attach the war to a term that everyone agrees is bad (whether it applies or not) and you have to support the war, right?

How dumb do Bush, Rummy et al think we are? I'll be curious to see how this goes over. Has the administration lost so much credibility now that people will see it for what it is, or will they get sucked in by this "new" "threat?"
    yea, its crossed the line and is just now utterly ridiculous, only november will tell how the american public feels, so we'll see.

Comment

• Lorn
      Looking for a title!
      • Sep 2004

WIth November just around the corner and the Republicans looking like they might lose control of both the House and the Senate, it was only a matter of time to start seeing stunts like this being spun.

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

setting up the spin and buzzwords for the election year IMHO. remember last time when the democrats loaded up with ''american jobs'' and the republicans were using ''terror'' and stability. ignore them and research the candidates.
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Miroslav
          WHOA I can change this!1!
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by toasty
          I predict that it will go over pretty well because most Americans don't know jack about the definition or history of fascism. To most Americans, it will probably just translate as "bad people". And most agree that there are bad people out there trying to kill us...so, it'll work pretty damn well. I think this is also the fundamental reason why all of the policies currently in place prevail.

On a more technical level...remembering from my college history courses, there is enough of room for interpretation in the technical definition of fascism where you could at least carry out a long argument on why it might apply in some way to all kinds of international situations...
          mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• superdave
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Bush said "Islamic fascists" not just fascists. This term is being used frequently by the right wingers and the right wing media. Michael Savage was the first I heard use the term "Islamic fascists". And I'm sure that Bush's speechwriters are right wingers who use that term frequently. It's a strong buzzword that has probably been tested with conservative voters to get them energized and in the voting booth in November.

How are the terrorists in the Middle East really not Islamic fascists? Don't they preach convert or be beheaded? Also don't the Islamic terrorists want their countries completely ruled by Islamic law? I don't see the them compromising their values and beliefs.
            Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• thesightless
              • Jun 2004

cant they just be like

''we hate towel heads, so should you''.

at least i would appreciate the honest opinion.

Comment

• Lorn
                Looking for a title!
                • Sep 2004

An honest opinion from a politician...now there is a novel idea.

Comment

• Localizer
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by superdave
                  Bush said "Islamic fascists" not just fascists. This term is being used frequently by the right wingers and the right wing media. Michael Savage was the first I heard use the term "Islamic fascists". And I'm sure that Bush's speechwriters are right wingers who use that term frequently. It's a strong buzzword that has probably been tested with conservative voters to get them energized and in the voting booth in November.

How are the terrorists in the Middle East really not Islamic fascists? Don't they preach convert or be beheaded? Also don't the Islamic terrorists want their countries completely ruled by Islamic law? I don't see the them compromising their values and beliefs.
                  that's why democracy doesn't work for everyone....as aristotle, plato, and socrates pointed out....
                  Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
                  -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Lorn
                    Looking for a title!
                    • Sep 2004

Find definitions for over 300,000 words from the most authoritative English dictionary. Continuously updated with new words and meanings.

Interesting read about the origin of the word Fascism.

Comment

• thesightless
                      • Jun 2004

i'll take the statement a libertarian politician from cali (good luck btw) said a few months ago.

if they simply told us in the beginning, that an invasion of iraq is in the best interest of the people of iraq, the world economy, and the people of the world, in that an invasion of iraq will aid in the fight against those who teach terror, will eventually open up more oil to the world's economies and people, and then went on to cite the human rights violations and genocide that occured under saddam,.... then at least we could argue with thier opinions and direction of fact, rather than arguing about how they lied. i could accept the fact that while i hate war, it might garner a positive result for both the people of iraq and have many filter down effects, but no.... they told us what they told us. and now we cant get anything done.

i thought about this, and to be honest, im in his boat.

Comment

Working...