X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • delirious
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Iraqis now have the freedom of speech

Members of the Iraqi Olympic soccer team branded US President George Bush a ?criminal? and called for American troops to pull out of the war-torn country.

Speaking after winning their group stage at the Games in Greece, one player said he would take up arms against US troops in his country.

And the team attacked Mr Bush for running re-election campaign adverts featuring the Iraqi team.

?Iraq as a team does not want Mr Bush to use us for the presidential campaign,? said midfielder Salih Sadir. ?He can find another way to advertise himself.?

Sadir was angered at Mr Bush?s adverts, which show pictures of the Afghan and Iraqi flags with the words: ?At this Olympics there will be two more free nations ? and two fewer terrorist regimes.?

?We don?t wish for the presence of Americans in our country. We want them to go away,? said Sadir, aged 21, whose home town of Najaf has been battered by the war.

Another star player, Ahmed Manajid, aged 22, said of Mr Bush: ?How will he meet his god having slaughtered so many men and women? He has committed so many crimes.?

Manajid, from Fallujah, said he would be fighting US troops right now if he were not at the Olympics.

?I want to defend my home. If a stranger invades America and the people resist, does that mean they are terrorists?

?Everyone (in Fallujah) has been labelled a terrorist. These are all lies. Fallujah people are some of the best people in Iraq.?

In an interview with the US magazine Sports Illustrated, the team coach Adnan Hamad told of the ongoing violence in his homeland.

?My problems are not with the American people. They are with what America has done in Iraq: destroy everything.

?The American army has killed so many people in Iraq. What is freedom when I go to the stadium and there are shootings on the road??

The team was glad that Iraq?s former Olympic committee head Uday Hussein, who was responsible for the serial torture of Iraqi athletes, was no longer in power. He was killed in a firefight with US forces after the invasion.

A spokesman for Mr Bush defended the war on Iraq and the campaign adverts.

?The ad simply talks about President Bush?s optimism and how democracy has triumphed over terror,? the spokesman said.

The Iraqi soccer team has been one of the sensations of the Games, winning its group, despite a 2-1 defeat to Morocco in its latest game.

The team will go on to play Australia in the quarter-finals on Sunday.
  • evangelion
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: Iraqis now have the freedom of speech

If these comments weren't so stupid they might actually be funny.

?We don?t wish for the presence of Americans in our country. We want them to go away,? said Sadir, aged 21.

OK, let us go away so you can get shocked and beaten when you don't come home with the gold.

"...one player said he would take up arms against US troops in his country."

Exactly why I feel we should have been out of there a LOOOONG time ago. Pull the fuck out, let all the extremists and Saddam loyalists take over and start randomly killing and kidnapping Iraqi citizens and let their so called "police" shoot it out with them for a couple months. I guran-fucking-tee they would live for the day they see American soldiers there doing the dying for them.

Comment

• neur0t0xin64
      Getting Somewhere
      • Jun 2004

Amen evangelion, couldnt have said it better myself.
      "In case of doubt, attack." --- Gen. George Patton

Comment

• evangelion
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by neur0t0xin64";p="
        I'm pretty damn sick of this whole "We don't want Americans here" bullshit. Like their lives were SOOOO much better before. Just because they are too big of pussies to fight for their own fucking freedom. I don't see the average Iraqi citizen taking up arms and fighting for the future of their country. They're much more content with saying how we're invaders and parading their dead through the streets than actually...gee, I don't know....HELPING!!!!

Much less the fucking soccer team. The kids in that article were generally around 20 years old. Probably not old enough to know about what his pals Uday and Qusey would have done to him and his family if they were still alive.

Like I said...pull out and let them die for their own damn country.

Comment

• pacific493
          Getting warmed up
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by _evangelion_";p="
          Originally posted by neur0t0xin64";p="
          I'm pretty damn sick of this whole "We don't want Americans here" bullshit. Like their lives were SOOOO much better before. Just because they are too big of pussies to fight for their own fucking freedom. I don't see the average Iraqi citizen taking up arms and fighting for the future of their country. They're much more content with saying how we're invaders and parading their dead through the streets than actually...gee, I don't know....HELPING!!!!

Much less the fucking soccer team. The kids in that article were generally around 20 years old. Probably not old enough to know about what his pals Uday and Qusey would have done to him and his family if they were still alive.

Like I said...pull out and let them die for their own damn country.
          Are you in Iraq? Have you been to Iraq?

Comment

• evangelion
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by pacific493";p="
            Are you in Iraq? Have you been to Iraq?
            Do I need to be there to have the opinion that they should fight for their own country? As far as I can see we are conviently racking up the body count while they sit back and call us "invaders." What's your point?

Comment

Working...