X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J-Shock
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Shooting at a College in Montreal

I dont know if i should post this here but this is really affecting me. Its in my hometown and i never expected this. I still have friends that go to Dawson and i cant get a hold of them. Im sure they are ok, but what goes through someone's mind before he starts shooting on random people.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

MONTREAL, Quebec (AP) -- At least one gunman opened fire Wednesday in the cafeteria of a Montreal college and wounded an unknown number of people before shooting himself, witnesses and police said.
    Scores of students at Dawson College near downtown fled into the surrounding streets after the shooting broke out in the school of about 10,000. Some of them had bloody clothes.
    CBC-TV showed police with guns drawn standing behind a police cruiser. (Watch what cops are doing to secure the 12-acre campus -- 5:25)
    Martine Millette of the Montreal police said authorities did not know how many people had been shot. There also was uncertainty if there was more than one gunman.
    Millette said the man later shot himself. Constable Philippe Gouin said, "In all probability, the suspect has committed suicide."
    'The guy was shooting at people randomly'

Student Devansh Smri Vastava said he saw a man in military fatigues with "a big rifle" storm the school's cafeteria.
    "He just started shooting at people," Vastava said, adding that he heard about 20 shots fired. He also said teachers ran through the halls telling students to get out.
    Other witnesses spoke of a gunman wearing a black trench coat.
    "We all ran upstairs. There were cops firing. It was so crazy," Vastava said. "I was terrified. The guy was shooting at people randomly. He didn't care; he was just shooting at everybody. I just got out."
    Derick Osei, 19, said he walking down the stairs when he saw a man with a gun.
    "He ... just started shooting up the place. I ran up to the third floor and I looked down and he was still shooting," Osei said. "He was hiding behind the vending machines, and he came out with a gun and started pointing and pointed at me. So I ran up the stairs. I saw a girl get shot in the leg."
    Osei said people in the cafeteria were all lying on the floor.
    Another student who gave her name as Chloe tearfully recounted seeing the gunman pointing a weapon at people.
    "All of a sudden I turned around and saw a man who was all dressed in black," she told radio station 940 News.
    "This dude with the clothes started pointing the gun at other people. He was right behind me. He turned around and went in the corner of the cafeteria," she said.
    Another student told 940 News that she had seen two people who had been shot, including one who was hit in the neck. The student said a friend told her four people had been shot.
    '89 shooting spurred tighter gun laws

Ingrid Keigan, a 17-year-old student, said she saw one person outside who had been shot in the chest.
    A SWAT team and canine units were at the college, going floor by floor to look for victims, Sgt. Giuseppe Boccardi told CNN.
    "Most of the students have exited the college grounds," he said.
    People have also been evacuated from the nearby Alexis-Nihon shopping center.
    Canada's worst mass shooting also happened in Montreal. Gunman Marc Lepin killed 14 women at the Ecole Polytechnic on December 6, 1989.
    That shooting spurred efforts for tighter gun laws and greater awareness of societal violence -- particularly domestic abuse. Canada's tighter gun law was achieved mainly as the results of efforts by survivors and relatives of the victims.
    Another shooting in Montreal occurred in 1992, when a Concordia University professor killed four colleagues.
    Dawson College was the first English-language institution in Quebec's network of university preparatory colleges when it was founded in 1969.
    It is the largest college of general and vocational education, known by its French acronym CEGEP, in the province.
    Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

And

13 victims sent to hospital in Montreal shooting

Updated Wed. Sep. 13 2006 4:27 PM ET
    CTV.ca News Staff
    One suspected gunman is dead in a chaotic shooting scene at Dawson College in downtown Montreal, that has left up to 13 victims in hospital.
    Police had earlier believed there were as many as three gunmen, as shots reportedly continued to be heard.
    Of the 13 victims, officials said six are in critical condition, two are considered serious, and four are listed in stable condition. The condition of the remaining victim remains unknown.
    CTV's Jed Kahane said police received a call about the shooting at just before 1 p.m. ET. Witnesses heard shots at about 12:45 ET that lasted for 30 minutes.
    "He shot right at us. And when he shot at us we jumped and ran the other day," said student Ali Hussein. He added that one bullet struck a wall close to where he was standing.
    Dawson College is located at the corner of Atwater and Sherbrooke in the heart of downtown Montreal.
    Students told Kahane they saw someone roaming the halls with a gun, and heard at least 20 shots fired.
    One student told Montreal radio station 940 News she was on the phone at the college's front entrance when she heard five gunshots and a window break. She walked into the hallway and was inches from the gunman.
    "All of a sudden I turned around and saw a man dressed in black with a huge assault rifle," she said.
    "People didn't know what was going on ... they thought it was a joke."
    The man ran into the corner of the cafeteria to hide from police, she said.
    A number of officers surrounded the school with guns drawn, while others helped to evacuate students from inside the English-language CEGEP school which has about 10,000 students.
    Gary Clemence, a psychology teacher, said the college is "usually a really quiet, peaceful place. No problems, no knives, anything."
    Some students and teachers barricaded themselves in classrooms, waiting for police to rescue them from the school.
    As many as 40 students and staff were hiding on the seventh floor, including eyewitness Adam Perez, who spoke to CTV Newsnet.
    "No one came to really warn us," said Perez. "Our first warning of the incident (came from) phone calls and text messages."
    One student told 940 News she saw two people who had been shot, including one who had been hit in the neck.
    Were you on the scene?

Send your images, with descriptive captions, to newsonline@ctv.ca Please include your name and phone number.
    The student said a friend told her four people had been shot.
    Michel Boyer, a student at the college, told CTV Newsnet he saw the gunman in a hallway leading to the cafeteria.
    "I saw the gunman who was dressed in black and at that time he was shooting at people. It was probably one of the most frightening moments of my life," Boyer said.
    Images captured from a helicopter hovering over the scene showed hordes of students running frantically from the building.
    "Many people are crying as they are coming out, worried about who might still be inside the building and shocked by what happened," said CTV's Genevieve Beauchemin, reporting from the scene.
    A number of police vehicles surrounded what appeared to be a bloodsoaked sidewalk outside the school, and several yellow ambulance vehicles were seen speeding from the scene after victims were carried from the building on stretchers and loaded in the vehicles.
    All classes at Dawson College have been cancelled.
    Today's incident is horrifyingly reminiscent of another school shooting in Montreal. On Dec. 6, 1989,

Marc Lepine shot 27 female engineering students at the Ecole Polytechnique, killing 14, before fatally shooting himself. The mass murder prompted tighter gun laws, which included the creation of the controversial national firearms registry. It also prompted Parliament to create the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women in 1991, to coincide with the anniversary of the tragedy.
    Family members of Dawson College students seeking more information can call (514) 280-2880 or (514) 280-2806.
    Meanwhile, medical staff at the Montreal General Hospital Emergency Service are asking the public to avoid the hospital's emergency rooms, so doctors can treat the 12 victims.
    Concerned family members can call a special hotline at the hospital: 514-843-2839.
    I am so disgusted by this!
    Peace
    J-Shock
  • tiddles
    Encryption, Jr.
    • Jun 2004

Re: Shooting at a College in Montreal

that sucks.
    hope everyone you know is ok

Comment

• DancingQueen
      AVB FanClub | President
      • Oct 2005

I have been following this today....it is really sad

I hope all of your friends are safe
      sigpic
      RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
      RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• AntonyM
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Oct 2004

Crazy indeed
        Thx for the info JShock
        What makes people break with reality like that
        is beyond me.
        Originally posted by Shpira
        So came back last night...
        Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
        Originally posted by Illuminate
        Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
        2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
        3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
        4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• KinKyJ
          Platinum Poser
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by AntonyM
          What makes people break with reality like that
          is beyond me.
          I think nobody understands that...

A month or two ago we had a somewhat similar incident here. A highschool kid buys a rifle and ammo in a hunting store and starts unloading it on foreigners. A Turkish woman and a black woman got killed, the (white) child the black woman was babysitting got hit pretty bad, but survived.

Reaction of the government: a new arms law. As of Sept 1st you need to have a permit for ALL guns you possibly own (so also sport guns and hunting rifles). Getting such a permit requires you to go through a rather heavy procedure. On top of that you need a written permission from the chief of police in your town (for which the police will screen you) and you need to get into a shooting club (to make sure you know how to handle a gun). If you don't comply with one of the above rules, you have to hand in your gun/rifle at your police station. You can only buy (new) guns when you have a gun permit.

Good call imo: as long as any fool can buy or own a gun, tragedies like in Montreal will keep happening.

I hope your friends are ok J...

Comment

• thesightless
            Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
            • Jun 2004

update.

20 hurt, one gunman down.
            they are still hunting the area for at least one more, maybe more, suspect. according to msn the swat teams have moved in and they are saying one more gunman is loose.

jesus..... seriously hope that all the reports are wrong and the only dead ones are the shooters.
            your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
            download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• thesightless
              Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by KinKyJ
              I

Reaction of the government: a new arms law. As of Sept 1st you need to have a permit for ALL guns you possibly own (so also sport guns and hunting rifles). Getting such a permit requires you to go through a rather heavy procedure. On top of that you need a written permission from the chief of police in your town (for which the police will screen you) and you need to get into a shooting club (to make sure you know how to handle a gun). If you don't comply with one of the above rules, you have to hand in your gun/rifle at your police station. You can only buy (new) guns when you have a gun permit.

great idea. finally a government is giving freedoms but making damn well sure you know the responsibility, accountability and consequences of owning it.here in NY any random idiot can walk in and buy a rifle. they only have gun laws for hanguns b/c they can be concealed.
              your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
              download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• J-Shock
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

This has happened before in Montreal. In 89 a lone gunmen went into an engineering department at the Montreal university and shot down many women, including the daughter of the chief of police at the time. Following that, new gun laws were implemented.

As of now, there is one more victim, a 20 year old girl. They are also saying at least 2 others are in very serious condition.
                Last edited by J-Shock; September 14, 2006, 01:45:54 AM.
                Peace
                J-Shock

Comment

• KinKyJ
                  Platinum Poser
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
                  great idea. finally a government is giving freedoms but making damn well sure you know the responsibility, accountability and consequences of owning it.
                  Yup, that's what I like about the new law too. I think a complete ban is crap, so it's indeed a very good idea to submit people to a shitload of paperwork, interviews and screenings before they can get a permit. Forcing people to go to a shooting club is the cherry on the cake imo. The results were incredible: tons of weapons have been handed in already. It will not solve the problem entirely, but at least emo kids won't have access to guns that easily and the number of "accidents" will go down drasticly.

here in NY any random idiot can walk in and buy a rifle. they only have gun laws for hanguns b/c they can be concealed.
                  The irony is that maniacs who shoot up schools and such generally use rifles instead of handguns...

I don't get that Wild West mentality in the US tbh. The political class has the balls to invade Iraq, but they don't have the balls to disarm their own citizens... Weak, very very weak from my European point of view...

Comment

• FM
                    Wooooooo!
                    • Jun 2004

^^^2nd amendment in the Constitution...

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
                    Granted, laws are enacted along the way to somewhat restrict the ownership (permits, background checks et Al), but those are relatively up to individual states and cities, as it would be impossible to do a complete ban.

People like this will always find a way, if patient and willing enough, to get the guns necessary to do what they want to do, sad to say...it can happen anywhere too.
                    FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                    "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                    Facebook!
                    A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• J-Shock
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jun 2004

Small update for those wondering: all my friends are ok. Only one was there when it happened, the rest didnt have class or were out to lunch.

I just hope that this unfortunate event will have some positive. Politicians need to act on this and see what they can do to limit crazies from doing this.

What i found weird is that last night, there was a charity event that i went to, my friend was organizing it, so even though i didnt feel like it, i went to encourage him and to change my mind of things. A few hours after this tragic event, the mayor of Montreal and the Prime Minister of Quebec are both at the charity event drinking wine and mingling with the people. Although both of them looked drained and miserable, i just thought that they had better things to do than be there.
                      Peace
                      J-Shock

Comment

• FM
                        Wooooooo!
                        • Jun 2004

^^^probably needed some relief after what went down.
                        FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                        "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                        Facebook!
                        A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Mr.Big
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Nov 2004

^^^ yeah u can hardly blame them for that.. Drinking the pain away works for alot of people.
                          www.twitter.com/mikeoreilly
                          Pimps up Hoes down.

Comment

Working...