X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phoenixbass
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

256 50 512 rammmm

just bough a HP zt3000 laptop.......thinking of upgrading my RAM from 256 to 512.......how much could this increase performance (speed ) ??

thanks
  • Ecko
    Fresh Peossy
    • Jun 2004

Re:: 256 50 512 rammmm

not much!

Comment

• evangelion
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Ecko
      not much!
      Wrong.

Adding more memory is one of the most effective cost\performance upgrades you can make. The less your system accesses your hard drive the better. I think it may make more of a difference in laptops since most of them have 5400 rpm hard drives as apposed to 7200.

Anyway, it will be worth it.

Comment

• palmer
        Retired or Simply Important
        • Jun 2004

fuck it get a gig
        todayistomorrow
        art direction | design | animation

Comment

• TomTom
          Paging Doctor Weeds...we have a shortage on 1st St.
          • May 2002

It depends on what you want to do with your Laptop and what OS you use. If you have XP you need 512 MB ram anyway or else your OS is swapping too much data all the time. If you want to do audio or video editing with your laptop I recommend to get 1 GB of Ram.

Comment

• phoenixbass
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

thanks guys......any particualar brands or are they all about the same quality ?

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

memory doesnt do anything other than hold data temporarily until the processor actively seeks it.... the more the ram holds, the faster it's processed.....

so it wont really make a difference on the type of ram unless it's a really really high end gaming system and you're trying to squeeze out the last few ounces of points from your FSB.

Just pick up any brand...... and you should be ok since most memory comes with lifetime warranty. The ONLY reason you'd want to look at the brand is for tech support / return policies.

You cant go wrong with OCZ / GEIL / CORSAIR / KINGSTON, just do a search on newegg

-e-
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
              he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
              Originally posted by ace_dl
              Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
              I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• thezzapper
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

Adding more memory is one of the most effective cost\performance upgrades you can make. The less your system accesses your hard drive the better. I think it may make more of a difference in laptops since most of them have 5400 rpm hard drives as apposed to 7200.

Anyway, it will be worth it.[/quote]

i agree. add as much memory as you can. makes your pc more healthy in the long run. plus RAM is cheap right now..
                sigpic

Comment

• evangelion
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thezzapper
                  Originally posted by _evangelion_

Anyway, it will be worth it.
                  i agree. add as much memory as you can. makes your pc more healthy in the long run. plus RAM is cheap right now..
                  Not as cheap as it was. Back in 2001, right after I got my first real computer I ordered 256 from Crucial for $35. The gig of Corsair XMS I most recently got was over $200. Granted they are a matched dual channel pair and have the cool platinum heat spreaders, but the increase ration compared to the Crucial memory is significant.

Comment

Working...