X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nebra
    Fresh Peossy
    • Sep 2006

DJing Need an advice about booking.

Hi! I'm new on the forum and I need an advice if anybody can be helpful.

The thing is that we have a specific situation in our country regarding a club scene.
    We are a small two million state and the problem is that everybody is connected between themselves, those who organize parties in clubs became djs (mostly bad of course),
    so they book themselves along with their asskissing dj buddies.
    So our clubbing more or less works on returning favors in a closed circle which is extremely hard to brake from the outside and at the end the consequences are:

- the same djs in clubs again and again, people are bored, therefore's no quality
    - it isn't important if a dj, a club is going to book is good but whether he knows
    somebody and therefore is capable to book people which booked him

I could wright on these issues all day but that's not essential for my request on this forum.
    So what I'm asking here for, does anybody have an idea how to reach a level of
    consideration, when somebody will want to book me regardless on having a coffee
    with him every week.
    I know this man who was a producer of club programme, but unfortunately this club
    is closed forever. He booked me once a while and those were good parties and that's
    the reason why it's worth being persistant ' cause people love my music, that's for sure.

What crosses my mind are only two things:

- to mix the best promo cd I can and then distribute it to every person who is in this
    business
    - to find two or three mates with similar problem and together with them rent some
    borehole with intention of making underground parties in it. (very hard doable)

I'll be very happy any of your suggestions or how is the situation in your country.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • dopla
    Getting warmed up
    • Oct 2006

Re: Need an advice about booking.

what sort of music do you play and what country are you in?

more details essae.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
      Not cool enough
      • Jun 2004

there's quite a bit of that going around all over the world...the way to get booked through that is to become friends with those dj's...if you can't beat em, join em.
      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• enrique.vanegas
        Fresh Peossy
        • Feb 2005

There's a big difference about booking an artist or getting bookings.

You say you want to get more bookings then? You want to start playing more often because you feel, you have a better chance of playing better records than the rest?

Comment

• jeffrey collins
          Not cool enough
          • Jun 2004

well they aparently haven't even been back since this post so aparently they are not that hung up on playing out.
          My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• FM
            Wooooooo!
            • Jun 2004

true..in any event, if you read this...the only 2 ways to get into "closed circles" like this (or at least try to) are..(and they kind of go hand in hand).

a) Get to know the people and be persistent, show you care and can be considered...even if takes a long time to actually get a gig.
            b) Hand out promo CD's showcasing your works...on a fairly continual basis. To them and to others. Get them circulating out there...
            FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
            "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
            Facebook!
            A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• nebra
              Fresh Peossy
              • Sep 2006

Thank you very much for your help it means something.

Answer to DOPLA: I'm from Slovenia/EU and I play progressive.

Comment

• victorgonzales
                Getting warmed up
                • Nov 2006

It is the same everywhere you go. Start your own parties and maybe a weekly in a smaller bar or something. If you are as good as you think you are you will build a small following which will consist of poeple that are friends with those promoters that are booking all their shitty friends.The promoters will start hearing great things about you and will probably come hear you spin sooner or later. Eventually you will get more bookings and even if you don't you will still be playing your own event.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                  Not cool enough
                  • Jun 2004

^^^ that's how Steve Lawler got his start. Throwing parties under a bridge in england.
                  My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• chuy
                    Addiction started
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
                    ^^^ that's how Steve Lawler got his start. Throwing parties under a bridge in england.
                    He should return to that bridge again, to keep him under it for godsake!
                    n e w h o u s e g e n e r a t i o n.

sigpic customizable gig apparel.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                      Not cool enough
                      • Jun 2004

wow, someone has got a problem with him. Did he make you mad by changing from tribal to the sick ass shit he;s been playing.

Oh and to rectify the situation i was speaking of earlier...If you can't join em...BEAT EM! Get your ass into production and coast right on past those guys who just focus on getting those weekly's in their hometown and don't do anything else.
                      My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• weswood
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Jul 2004

If you're good at what you do and you're in the game for the love of the music, people will take notice and you'll get where you want to be.

Comment

• victorgonzales
                          Getting warmed up
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by nebra
                          Hi! I'm new on the forum and I need an advice if anybody can be helpful.

The thing is that we have a specific situation in our country regarding a club scene.
                          We are a small two million state and the problem is that everybody is connected between themselves, those who organize parties in clubs became djs (mostly bad of course),
                          so they book themselves along with their asskissing dj buddies.
                          So our clubbing more or less works on returning favors in a closed circle which is extremely hard to brake from the outside and at the end the consequences are:

- the same djs in clubs again and again, people are bored, therefore's no quality
                          - it isn't important if a dj, a club is going to book is good but whether he knows
                          somebody and therefore is capable to book people which booked him

I could wright on these issues all day but that's not essential for my request on this forum.
                          So what I'm asking here for, does anybody have an idea how to reach a level of
                          consideration, when somebody will want to book me regardless on having a coffee
                          with him every week.
                          I know this man who was a producer of club programme, but unfortunately this club
                          is closed forever. He booked me once a while and those were good parties and that's
                          the reason why it's worth being persistant ' cause people love my music, that's for sure.

What crosses my mind are only two things:

- to mix the best promo cd I can and then distribute it to every person who is in this
                          business
                          - to find two or three mates with similar problem and together with them rent some
                          borehole with intention of making underground parties in it. (very hard doable)

I'll be very happy any of your suggestions or how is the situation in your country.
                          Thank you and have a nice day!
                          Same way here in Arizona (USA) I refuse to kiss ass so only the most respectable local promoters will book me. I have been getting alot more bookings since some of my tracks are getting signed though.

Comment

• Jayson
                            Addiction started
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by victorgonzales
                            Same way here in Arizona (USA) I refuse to kiss ass so only the most respectable local promoters will book me.
                            It's all a game mate, it's called politics as well. If you know how to play the game and network with the right people even the worst of DJs can get a gig.

it seems the only reason you're getting more bookings is because you have some tracks signed. Good for you mate! I preach that to anyone trying to get into the scene.

Network and start producing. Succeed at these two and theirs no reason you shouldn't get booked.
                            Piss off you phucking wanksters!

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                              Not cool enough
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by victorgonzales
                              Same way here in Arizona (USA) I refuse to kiss ass so only the most respectable local promoters will book me. I have been getting alot more bookings since some of my tracks are getting signed though.
                              That will help you out WAY more than kissing ass with promoters. Once they see your tracks up on Beatport and other sites. They just come running to kiss your ass. It's totally tru for a couple of my friends from www.myspace.com/portamentorecords they began that label with people laughing at them, but now whos having the last laugh. They've got it to where they could spin at any club in columbus...if they wanted to.
                              My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

Working...