X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mnbvcxz
    Platinum Poster
    • Feb 2006

My PC: WTF IS GOING ON?!?

Ok, PC turns off one day. I can't turn it back on. I buy a new powersupply, it turns back on, but nothing boots up, no beeps, no bios, ZIP! I try old powersupply, and it works! but same thing, no beeps, no bios, ZIP! So I return power supply.

Next, I think... surely, I've fried the motherboard... oh well, get new one. I get new one, exactly the same thing... no beeps, no bios, nothing. So I return it.

Next, I think... ok, CPU is dead? Hmmm, weird... but, it has to be. Buy new cpu.. and guess what? Yep! same thing.

So now I have a brand new cpu, and nothing works. Is it a short somewhere in the case? and I've returned a faulty motherboard? I have no idea, but it seems unlikely, because I've checked everything.

And yes, I've striped down the system... no drives running, no gfx, even no ram.

Besides going out and buying a new PC or Mac... wtf do I do? Surely I haven't fried both the mobo and cpu... that is highly unlikely. And I don't want to be the first.
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Re: My PC: WTF IS GOING ON?!?

afaik, the first thing that loads from the BIOS is the video card, try swapping that out with a diff one. also how old is your PC? if the little battery on your mobo is dead, you "could" get odd errors but if they are similar to what you are experiencing, I cant say for sure.
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• mnbvcxz
      Platinum Poster
      • Feb 2006

Mobo had been swapped with another. So I kinda ruled that out. Problem is, the bios should kick over regardless of gfx or not, shouldnt it? im getting no beeps or anything... hmmm

Comment

• Kamal
        Administrator
        • May 2002

not necessarily, if the GPU doesnt load, your Bios wont proceed because it has nowhere to display the results of the BIOS Load, get a cheap card from Walmart to test the theory. I'm not saying I'm correct, I'm saying there's a good chance the GPU /Vid Card is the culprit
        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
        he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
        I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• dj_macgyver
          Addiction started
          • Oct 2005

there should be beeps from the motherboard even if you remove the graphics card. basically, you can remove everything from the pc (all pci / agp / whatever cards, memory, drives... ) except for the cpu and it should still be beeping (actually it should beep multiple times to signal something's wrong) - i would try that.

actually... i just read you already did. just to make sure... did you check the speaker?

if this approach leads to no success, you could try it the other way round, i.e. inserting your components into a known-working system. i guess that would take some time, though...
          Click here to get my latest mix "MacGyver's way - Volume 1"! Do it. Do it!

Comment

• mnbvcxz
            Platinum Poster
            • Feb 2006

Speaker isn't the issue... I mean, intially fans only spin for like 3 seconds, and it powers off... it WILL start, but with persistance... and even then, no beeps, nothing. I think it might be a short caused by the case. Gonna get another case and see what happens.

Kamal, no Walmarts here

Comment

• thesightless
              Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
              • Jun 2004

your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
              download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Kamal
                Administrator
                • May 2002

Did you ever get this sorted dude.... btw I had someone I know locally who had the exact same problem. Click on boot, the monitor didnt come on, HDs didnt spin, no beeps nothing. Though the mobo light would stay on. After nearly taking the whole thing apart and putting it back together, I switched memory banks on the RAM i.e. DDRs are generally placed in alternate banks. His were 1 - 3 and I moved them to 2 - 4.

BINGO, system booted up. Try that and let me know if it works for you.

I dont know why it worked for me but it did
                www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• mnbvcxz
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Feb 2006

Nar man, doesn't work. I'm just going to buy a new mobo and new case (incase its a short) and just accept I had to practically rebuild my entire pc.

Comment

Working...