X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KinKyJ
    Platinum Poser
    • Jun 2004

Fortunately for Texans cattle can't be defined as "devices"

Just when you think reality got a tad boring...

Sexual-Device Sale Ban in Texas Left Intact by Top U.S. Court

Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Supreme Court refused to question a Texas law that bars the sale of dildos and other ``obscene devices,'' turning away an appeal by a store clerk facing prosecution.

The justices made no comment in rejecting the appeal, which argued that the law violated a constitutional right to sexual privacy. The court last year turned down a similar challenge to an Alabama law.

Texas is one of a handful of states that ban sexual devices. Courts have upheld laws in Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama and Texas and struck down restrictions in Colorado, Kansas and Louisiana.

Texas bans the manufacture, sale, distribution and promotion of ``devices including a dildo or artificial vagina, designed or marked as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs.''

Ignacio Sergio Acosta, a clerk at Trixx Adult Bookstore in El Paso, was arrested in 2003 for selling a vibrator to two undercover police officers. A state trial judge threw out the case, saying the law was unconstitutional. An appeals court overturned that ruling and said the prosecution could go forward.

In his Supreme Court appeal, Acosta pointed to a 2003 Supreme Court decision that said states can't ban private homosexual conduct.

The case is Acosta v. Texas, 05-1574.

• DancingQueen
    AVB FanClub | President
    • Oct 2005

Re: Fortunately for Texans cattle can't be defined as "devices"

well that's lame...
    sigpic
    RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
    RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• tiddles
      Encryption, Jr.
      • Jun 2004

don't undercover cops have anything better to do ?

Comment

• speciale
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DancingQueen
        well that's lame...
        yep, I guess you wont be moving to Texas or you will have to leave the vibrator at home
        Originally posted by Miroslav
        It's not like he grabbed his balls and sucked his dick. It's not like he gave the Saudis the original copy of the Constitution to use as toilet paper. It's not like he gave away the secret recipe to the Colonel's chicken. .
        No Soup for You

Comment

• KinKyJ
          Platinum Poser
          • Jun 2004

^^^ lucky for your buttplug you live in Florida

Comment

• Santa
            Getting Somewhere
            • Aug 2004

Again, mixing religion and politic governance is bringing the United States at the same level as the muslim countries they are/want to be at war with. Hopefully, there are still some open minded people amongst them.
            Santa Claus inc.
            World wide deliveries, once a year

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
              • Jun 2004

Once again, I didn't see anything about religion in this article.

But if you can point me to a source which confirms this is somehow linked to religion, Santa, I'd be interested in seeing it.
              "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• Santa
                Getting Somewhere
                • Aug 2004

Isn't it written in the Holy Bible that you shall not have sex unless it is for reproduction with your wife/husband. Therefore, banning stuff that would allow self pleasure is acting as a puritans and enforcing those convictions in laws is doing exactly what is done in muslim countries where the sharia is established.
                Santa Claus inc.

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
                  • Jun 2004

So because it's written in the bible any law relating to dildos or the prohibition of sex is all the bible's fault?
                  "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• Santa
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Aug 2004

Do you see any other explanation to such a silly law except that it has some religious origin?
                    Santa Claus inc.

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
                      • Jun 2004

Maybe because they're prudes?

Comment

• Santa
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by wikipedia
                        A person who is considered a prude may have reservations about nudity, participating in romantic or sexual activity, drinking alcohol, consuming drugs, or participating in mischief. These reservations may stem from shyness or strict moral beliefs.
                        I believe a government is not shy. I believe that a government that take such laws are doing so due to strict moral beliefs. And I see no other "origin" for such strict moral beliefs than what is written in the Bible.
                        Santa Claus inc.

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
                          • Jun 2004

WTF?!

So by your stupid definition non religious people have no morals?!

Last time I looked governments were a collection of people governing a country, meaning they're still subject to reservations.

Comment

• Santa
                            Getting Somewhere
                            • Aug 2004

So by your stupid definition non religious people have no morals?!
                            That's not what said the definition.

And I agree, governments might have some reservations over some topics, but they should base those reservations on common sense and not on religious interdictions (we are talking about buying a dildo after all).
                            Santa Claus inc.

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
                              • Jun 2004

Yes, but we are also talking about goverments, who rarely ever show common sense!

Comment

Working...