X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Rare kudos for Cheney

Cheney has broken ranks with Bush on the gay marriage issue, saying it ought to be a state issue, and noting:

Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue our family is very familiar with," Cheney told an audience that included his daughter. "With the respect to the question of relationships, my general view is freedom means freedom for everyone. ... People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to.

Probably a good move politically. He might upset some of the far right folks, but they are voting for Bush/Cheney regardless. By taking this position, it softens their position on the issue for the benefit of those moderate swing voters, and allows Cheney to court those gay Republicans (about a million gay people voted for Bush in 2000) that might otherwise have a problem voting for Bush. Of course, Bush is the one that "sets policy" (as Cheney notes) but we all know who's really running the show in Washington...
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re:: Rare kudos for Cheney

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

^^this would be much funnier, though, if I didn't think it was spot-on accurate!

Comment

• toasty
        Sir Toastiness
        • Jun 2004

Of course, it looks like the remainder of the GOP is taking a different, and much harder line on the issue now:

Republicans Endorse Ban on Gay Marriages
        By CALVIN WOODWARD Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Republicans endorsed an uncompromising position against gay unions Wednesday in a manifesto that contrasts with Vice President Dick Cheney's supportive comments about gay rights and the moderate face the party will show at next week's national convention.

A panel made up largely of conservative delegates approved platform language that calls for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage and opposes legal recognition of any sort for gay civil unions.

The GOP's full platform committee, seeking to appease party members who support gay or abortion rights without embracing their positions, adopted language later that states Republicans "respect and accept" dissenting views.

I guess this makes it pretty clear that Cheney was just talking off the cuff, and that it was not an intent to soften the party's position on the issue...

Comment

• superdave
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Cheney's comments were probaby from the heart and wasn't thinking politically because of someone gay in his family. People seem to change positions once they've been personally effected. I can't stand ignorant people who rail against issues they really know nothing about.
          Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• HoneyBearKelly
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

The only reason I know Cheney has a heart is because he's had like 5 heart attacks. Those remarks were totally scripted and self serving. He doesn't believe a word he said. He's been trying to hide his gay daughter for 4 years and now trots out her name because he know they're losing ground with moderate republicans. A liar and a hypocrite.
            Cat formerly known as Cheshire
            *cue imperial death march"

Comment

• superdave
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Good point Honey bear, you may be right, but I'd like to think otherwise.
              Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• neur0t0xin64
                Getting Somewhere
                • Jun 2004

Honeybearkelly, before i was giving you the benefit of the doubt when on numberous threads I saw your tainted and corrosive far left out of this planet view point. Now im in agreement with others on MS that your just simply pathetic. Your relentless attacks on any positive news coming from the right are unjustified, cold, and calculating. From now on lets call you Queen B kelly. Sounds more fitting for an ice queen. Advice to you, get a job and catch up on those property taxes for your single wide modular mobile home, then your opinion will be substantiated. Wise up honey.
                "In case of doubt, attack." --- Gen. George Patton

Comment

Working...