• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peloquin
    Till I Come!
    • Jun 2004

blair refuses medal of honour from bush

Blair refuses to accept US award

BRITISH Prime Minister Tony Blair is refusing to fly to the US to receive a medal bestowed on him by the nation for his support over last year's Iraq war, a London newspaper reported today.

US President George W. Bush has put huge pressure on his closest ally to pick up the Congressional Medal of Honour in person, the Sunday Mirror said, quoting a senior British government source.

Mr Blair is immensely popular with large sections of the American public for his staunch support of the Iraq war and the White House believes a visit by the prime minister now would provide a much-needed boost to Mr Bush's re-election campaign, the weekly said.

"There has been a lot of telephone traffic between the White House and Downing Street over the medal in recent week," the Sunday Mirror quoted a senior government source as saying.

"George Bush wants the prime minister to come to Washington and pick up the medal, which is the highest honour America can bestow on a foreigner.

"But he has refused for more than a year now and for good reason. He cannot possibly accept an award for the Iraq war when British and American troops continue to risk their lives there."

Mr Blair is concerned also that a trip to the US now would effectively be giving a boost to Bush ahead of November's presidential elections.

"The Democrats are watching the situation very carefully and there would be uproar if Tony travelled to Washington to meet (Republican) Bush so close to the presidential elections," the government source said.

"But Bush isn't letting up. The White House has already let it be known that they feel slighted because of this and believe they can use this to put pressure on Blair to get him out there."
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

two thoughts...

1. Blair has enough pressure of his own and probably doesn't need anymore from the US.

2. What a slap in the face to people who are currently wearing a medal of honor, who are also missing a fucking arm and saved a lot of people on the battle field.

a politician getting a medal.

go fuck yourself.

Comment

• beto
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

hehe... reminded me of this:

Aznar used taxpayers? money to secure medal in United States - He paid lobbyists to promote his image in order to get the Congressional medal

Berria - Euskal Herriko euskarazko egunkaria

Comment

• davetlv
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

It's not just Bush who is up for re-election, Blair will also probably be going to the polls within the next 9 months, and accepting such an award will not go down to well with his own party members.

I personally like Blair and believe him to be one of the few politicians of conviction left in the UK, but he's also a politician with a mission. For him two terms of office is not enough, he believes that to achieve everything he has been talking about since first being elected leader of the labour party in 1994 he needs one more term as Prime Minister, and nothing this close to the UK's election will distract him from his goal of being the only labour party leader in history to win three terms of office.

Comment

• Balanc3
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by davetlv

I personally like Blair and believe him to be one of the few politicians of conviction left in the UK, but he's also a politician with a mission. For him two terms of office is not enough, he believes that to achieve everything he has been talking about since first being elected leader.
          Thats leadership! If only our Presidents would stick to their goals and follow through on the promises made that got them elected. Thing is, they either re-nig their first week in office, or a major event takes place that gets them distracted. I have always liked Blair, he is well spoken and knows when to speak up. But I'm not familiar with your political system, and cant say who is best for your country. Accepting a medal of honour from Bush is definately not a top priority atm, but he'll get over it.

JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• davetlv
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Balanc3
            Thats leadership! If only our Presidents would stick to their goals and follow through on the promises made that got them elected. Thing is, they either re-nig their first week in office, or a major event takes place that gets them distracted. I have always liked Blair, he is well spoken and knows when to speak up. But I'm not familiar with your political system, and cant say who is best for your country. Accepting a medal of honour from Bush is definately not a top priority atm, but he'll get over it.

Actually Balanc3, my ex-country. Although i have to say i met Blair when i still lived in the UK a number of times, and although sceptical at first, like most of the left, i began to respect him. He believes in what he says and what he does, at times it looks like he's be populist and at other times, like with Iraq, he's doing what he thinks is right, and for both he gets slated by the media.

However, historically, the Labour party in the UK has never completed two more or less full terms of office, and for Blair sealing a third term will give him the time he needs to make the changes that will utimatly consign 18 years of conservative rule to the trash can where it belongs.

Comment

• sheryar
              Getting Somewhere
              • Jul 2004

blair is nothing more than a lowly thief who sided with an idiot and have messed up the world we live in even more.

i hope he doesnt get his 3rd term.

if i was a brit i'd work on getting thom yorke as a candidate for pm.
              sheryar

- - - - - - - - - -
              http://www.sheryarhyatt.com

Comment

• davetlv
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by sheryar
                blair is nothing more than a lowly thief who sided with an idiot and have messed up the world we live in even more.
                An interesting point of view, would you like to elaborate? Particularly interested in the theif comment!

Comment

• digitalghostx
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Jul 2004

Blair is a real trooper to stick with the US.
                  He should be honored to receive this kind of recognition.
                  But the award he received was the Congressional Gold Medal.
                  This is different from the CMOH.
                  He accepted the medal, this flap about him coming to get it
                  is just a ceremonial deal. I guess he should do it, you never
                  know if Bush will be back in office or not. Maybe he'll do it
                  after Bush is re-elected in a landslide. Or, if Kerry gets in
                  he will do it and be seen as a "uniter" and a president
                  gaining "International Supprort for the War in Iraq" as he
                  promises to do in his campaign speeches.

Comment

• superdave
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

Re:: blair refuses medal of honour from bush

all sounds real political from both bush and blair to me. why won't they both just be quiet and try other schemes to get re-elected.
                    Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Working...