X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flingleflump
    Fresh Peossy
    • Oct 2006

Re: Ps3

A regular DVD has been fine for 360 games so far, and PS3 games are not going to be that much more in depth, if at all.

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

Originally posted by toasty
      Yeah, but Sony is already committed to blu-ray, and it's already committed to the PS3. Seems like a deal where it's taking advantage of economies of scale rather than trying to foist their technology upon us. It's probably cheaper for them to use the existing blu-ray technology than to come up with yet another proprietary format, since a regular DVD can't hold enough data.

I view it as something that can only help, and can't really hurt.
      I can't imagine a game so large that it can't fit on a regular dual layered DVD that they needed to go Blu Ray. I mean 8.5 GB is REALLY REALLY massive amounts of code + images.
      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      Originally posted by ace_dl
      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• picklemonkey
        Double hoodie beer monster
        • Jun 2004

don't forget the music and cgi videos. those tend to take up quite a bit of space alone

Comment

• Kamal
          Administrator
          • May 2002

still.... I mean there are true Hi Def movies out on regular DVDs even before Blu Ray was out. That still doesnt justify it
          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
          he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
          I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• toasty
            Sir Toastiness
            • Jun 2004

There was a time that I thought an 8 meg hard drive was an enormous amount of space, more than I could ever expect to use. If there's one thing that history has taught us, though, it's that there is always a need for more space, more speed, more power, more flexibility. It may seem like plenty now, but when you consider that the normal life-cycle of one of these consoles is 5-6 years, it isn't hard to imagine that having that extra space could be handy going forward.

Really, though, my primary point has less to do with that and more to do with the fact that Sony is already doing the blu-ray thing, so they are able to take advantage of certain economies of scale by using the same technology in their game console as well.

Comment

• toasty
              Sir Toastiness
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kamal
              still.... I mean there are true Hi Def movies out on regular DVDs even before Blu Ray was out. That still doesnt justify it
              really? do you have any examples? They obviously have the HD-DVD, but that's not the same as a DVD. Also, without a player that can produce true HD output (i.e., as opposed to upsampled), it isn't HD. I'm confused.

Comment

• Kamal
                Administrator
                • May 2002

I was downright certain that Hi-Def format can be provided on regular dual layered CDs but I stand corrected there toasty, thanks for making me look. Seems Hi Def is currently offered in 2 formats i.e. HD DVD / Blu Ray

Regular DVD formats are upto 480 lines and Hi-Def are in 720 and 1080 lines. I did a cursory search but was unable to find regular dvds in 720 line resolutions which would make it a high definition format.
                www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• srbbnd
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jul 2005

The Sony Playstation is going to destroy the Xbox 360 in every possible way.The only thing X Box has going for it is X Box live, in my opinion. People who had to make a choice and couldn't afford both, the Ps3 is definately the better buy.
                  www.bestfilmsofthe20thcentury.com/

www.forwardthinkingproduction.com/

Comment

• Kamal
                    Administrator
                    • May 2002

www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• karaquazian
                      Addiction started
                      • Feb 2006

why would you want to pay $600 right off the bat for a system that hasnt even given it's online game plan to third party developers?

yes there will be a certain amount of demand (especially before launch) but I think the price point is going to keep many people away...people that have families to support or parents who dont feel like dropping so much money ona console for their kids.

and based on past system launches...how many of those preorders do you think people will end up selling on ebay to sony fanboys?

ps3 has some great looking games no doubt...but i still think it is going to cause the demise of the franchise, we have seen it time and time again.

also for me, not only have i enjoyed the 360 games, but i am immensly satisfied with using the 360 to set up a wireless network to stream my music downstairs and (w/ the addition of a free tv tuner card) a free tivo

Comment

• Kamal
                        Administrator
                        • May 2002

how are you streaming wirelessly off your xbox? what sort of hardware did you need to buy ?
                        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• asdf_admin
                          i use to be important
                          • Jun 2004

PS3 will be a big winnder. just wait and see. It is a good call.
                          dead, yet alive.

Comment

• tiddles
                            Encryption, Jr.
                            • Jun 2004

yea...Resident Evil and Metal gear solid. i'm sold on those two alone. don't know when i can afford one though

Comment

• Simon Preston
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kamal
                              As for the Blu Ray argument, like I said above, its a useless option to have considering the "PURPOSE" of the hardware.
                              I don't think so. By that reckoning the DVD player in the PS2 was also useless... but how many people here had a PS2 as their first DVD machine? I know I certainly did. at the time I could get a decent DVD player for some ?200 or a PS2 for the same price. Made the deal for me.
                              http://soundcloud.com/simonpreston/simon-preston-summer-2011

Comment

• asdf_admin
                                i use to be important
                                • Jun 2004

a standard blu-ray player is running 1,000+. the only battle right now is between blu-ray and hd dvd. omg. i have to say this. beta vs. vhs. omg. like omg.

great read here if you want to catch up:

dead, yet alive.

Comment

Working...