• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Re: Iran wants YOU to come for a visit

Originally posted by trick12
    whats the name of the show and your friend?

and not sure what is the muslim tv stations thing..there is egyptian tv stations, thats what u meant i reckon
    He may have said middle eastern tv network, I thought he said muslim, but I could be mistaken.

Sending you a PM.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• bobjuice
      Banned
      • May 2008

Originally posted by floridaorange
      He may have said middle eastern tv network, I thought he said muslim
      Quality

Comment

• Illuminate
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Aug 2009

A general question to others from around the world if I may; what are your thoughts on refugees and immigrants/asylum seekers etc.? What ever you would like to call it.

I'm asking this as the relevance to this thread, only my question being the complete opposite. As Australia has recently had an influx of refugees arriving by boat primarily Sri Lankans fleeing their former civil war as tamilians are now considered as close to a death threat, and Afghans, Iranians, Middle Eastern based war escapees.

The argument that the government and so called leaders pose is the threatening reality of drownings and an 'illegal' stamp that is imposed on people seeking refuge from the reasons I mentioned above, and many more. I personally see that as a country of wealth and sufficient resources it is feasible to accept these people. However, I do see the point as raised by others that legitimate people who have applied through the regular process have been pushed to the back of the line. I know that the refugee numbers in England, USA, and parts of Europe and nearly triple the figures of what Australia sees.

I volunteered previously at a community group who takes on a significantly African population helping them settle in or as the organisation would like to call it behind their backs 'integrate.' It was hard, stressful, and it was a first hand experience on how psychologically cultures can never be the same. Hearing their past experiences was hard enough let alone witnessing 'battle scars.' But what the organisation lacked significantly was funding, co-ordination and numbers; like most things in life. And bearing this is mind it was easy enough to rally and say we should let everyone in but I think with the aftermath of trying to ease these families in is difficult; no money, no people.

Any thoughts from your end?

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
        Sbando
        - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
        Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
        Bob
        "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
        the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
        KiwiTollway

Comment

• nelinho
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Sep 2011

Bee wanting to make that thread for a while..

Economic refugee is the latest buzz word used by politicians.

Odds are if you are coming to Australia as a refugee, uour moving up the the rankings in terms of wealth.

God help Australia if or when there is a humanitarian crisis here....how do you say "fuck off we're full" in bahasa Indonesia?

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

Immigration reform is a beast. It's one of the top 5 maybe 3 political topics our country is grappling and has been grappling over for years. It needs restructuring that's for sure. A recent story that made headlines was an illegal immigrant became a practicing lawyer, and whether or not he should be able to practice law. The court ruling was that he could. I don't understand why, but that is interesting.

Coincidentally the first article that came up features my prior little league baseball coach from when I was like 9 yrs old "Mel Martinez." (see paragraph 1)

Immigration Reform Is Counting on House Republicans More Than Ever in 2014 | Jose Antonio Tijerino

Then there are the numbers ... yes, the burgeoning population of Latino, Asian and other groups who have an emotional investment in immigration reform. Even among the general public, support for immigration reform is palpable -- according to the Pew Hispanic Center survey, 71 percent of Americans support undocumented immigrants remaining in the US if they meet certain requirements while only 27 percent say they should not. And in terms of the Republican Party turning the corner with an elusive voting bloc which greatly influenced the last presidential election, a poll by Latino Decisions, which studies Latino voting trends, found that of the Latino voters who voted in the last mid-term elections, nearly 40 percent stated they would vote for Republican candidates if the Representative would play a role in passing an immigration reform which included a path to citizenship.
            Legendary Republican President Theodore Roosevelt who is not only on Mount Rushmore but inspired the Teddy Bear once said, "We should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin." How would he have voted on immigration reform? Would he have waivered at the sight of detractors? No! He would have saddled up with the Rough Riders and taken Capitol Hill like he took San Juan Hill. Now, America needs a group of courageous Republicans in the House to also saddle up and help push through an immigration bill in 2014.

Comment

• Frankiee
              Getting Somewhere
              • Nov 2009

I hear nothing but good stories from people who traveled to Iran.

But I donno. Maye they still have some hostility (In my opinion, unjust) because the USA supported the Shah, against peoples man Mossadegh.

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

There was a story yesterday on NPR about Iranian young adults heading 2 hours across the border to a town in Iraq where they could basically dress how they wanted and drink, etc. they still feared that the moral police would catch them though.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                  Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                  • May 2006

Ironic b/c I'm about 50 pages into this book I started reading this week:

Comment

• Illuminate
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Aug 2009

Good read?

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
                    Sbando
                    - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
                    Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
                    Bob
                    "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
                    the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
                    KiwiTollway

Comment

• res0nat0r
                      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                      • May 2006

I'll let you know when I get a bit further...been ok so far.

Comment

Working...