Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djguillermo
    Getting warmed up
    • May 2006

DJing Dj Resident in a lounge bar: A thin line between boring and relaxing mood

SO WHAT? I have the coolest job on earth: being Dj resident, in a lounge bar. It is a medium place and people go there to have a good time with friends, family or b-friend or g-friend maybe enjoying some asian food or a fine martini anyway here is the deal: How do i keep this job?
    I mean how do i create a mood for everyone?
    What I?m dealing being Dj resident?
    Do i have to mix the same stuff every weekend to determinate a concept by the music? or Do i have to mix the stuff i like by example progressive house even if no one dance?
    k people i need answers lol
    "The anger that began in the air is about to end"
    Vladimir Navokov
  • dopla
    Getting warmed up
    • Oct 2006

Re: Dj Resident in a lounge bar: A thin line between boring and relaxing mood

play some thumping hard house that should get them moving
    hahah
    let me know how it goes

Comment

• Lorn
      Looking for a title!
      • Sep 2004

I think you need to experiment. Depends on the time of night and which night of the week. I would think too hard/thumping music would not fit into a lounge atmosphere, although if the vibe is right I'm sure you can play all kinds of styles. I've seen people at lounge bars get up and dance. Its usually late and they are always wasted before that happens though.

Just remember its your job to create the vibe/mood.

Comment

• hulkhuss
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

nothin wrong with playing loungey stuff
        http://www.mixcloud.com/RMasie/

http://soundcloud.com/r-masie

https://www.facebook.com/R-Masie-117851198318029/

Comment

• Lorn
          Looking for a title!
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by hulkhuss
          nothin wrong with playing loungey stuff
          hehe..

Comment

• AntonyM
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Oct 2004

Hell play almost anything, at a mello tempo
            Atomospheric drums and bass, trancy breaks, rare grooves, acid house,
            world beat, dub reggae, old skool hip hop, funk, soul, jazz and salsa.
            Beautiful vocals are always a winner
            Good Luck
            Originally posted by Shpira
            So came back last night...
            Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
            Originally posted by Illuminate
            Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
            2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
            3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
            4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• Mitch
              Getting warmed up
              • Jul 2004

Go and check out the place on another night, what type of music are they playing? Always ask yourself, what would I want to listen to now if I was with mates/girlfriend/boyfriend/family,etc or drinking/getting wasted/taking drugs, etc.

All depends on the type of croud you've got in front of you, the vibe, etc.

Maybe set a relaxing mood early evening, dub, chillout, etc and gradually increase the tempo throughout the evening if need be.

If you're looking to get people dancing, it is good to try and get women onto the dancefloor first (and the men will obviously follow)! In my experience, women respond to good vocal tracks or a groovy bassline!

Anyway, good luck!

Comment

• Mitch
                Getting warmed up
                • Jul 2004

croud = crowd obviously!

Comment

• Caley Martin
                  MCast Resident DJ
                  • Oct 2004

I would love that job and have so much fun with it if I was in your position... constantly creating an atmospheric sonic pallet... mmmmmmmmmmm
                  For your aural infusion of Caley:
                  http://mcast.mercuryserver.com
                  http://soundcloud.com/caleymartin
                  http://ultrawizardsword.net
                  RA: Caley

Comment

• lilsensa
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

playing loungy does not mean perfect mixing.....a lot of lounge style music cant be mixed anyway...go for some royksopp, zero7, lamb, and others like that.....people will dig it, especially if they are drinkin the wine dont be to concerned with perfect mixes either, those people that are there probably arent there to hear you. no offense, but they are there to "lounge"
                    RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• hulkhuss
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

^^^^^^^^^ bust out some theivery corporation and kruder and dorfmeister too!!
                      http://www.mixcloud.com/RMasie/

http://soundcloud.com/r-masie

https://www.facebook.com/R-Masie-117851198318029/

Comment

• lilsensa
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

^^^word
                        RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• BureOne
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

I would love this job as well. What the above mentioned are great for a loungy place like this....zero 7, Theivery Corp, K & D, lost of atmospheric breaky loung stuff.

And like they said, you dont really have to "beat match" Fade in and out this stuff and as the night progresses and people start feeling moody with drinks, start the loungy house stuff.

Lucky bastard.

Comment

• lilsensa
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • Jun 2004

^^yep, lounge is fun to play....lucky....play some of that sexy shit, and you are responsible for makin those hot girls feel like that, they will slob the knob..hahaha
                            RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Jayson
                              Addiction started
                              • Nov 2004

Lounges are the best! You get to play a lot of songs you would otherwise not have the chance to play at a 'club'. And you can just get in the mood/vibe. Genre shouldn't matter, focus more on the mood and vibe of the tune and that it fits in with what you're trying to create.
                              Piss off you phucking wanksters!

Comment

Working...