X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asdf_admin
    i use to be important
    • Jun 2004

PDX - Wind Storm

Could be some bad news for us in PDX. People worry about Hurricanes, but this is the worst we can get over here in NW. It has been raining heavily for the last couple weeks and the ground is super saturated, allowing a strong wind to topple the trees very easily.

Wind Guide:

The following effects typically occur at various wind speeds:
    • 30 mph: Winds put large branches in motion
    • 40 mph: Walking becomes difficult
    • 50 mph: Weak trees blow down
    • 60 mph: large limbs break off
    I will let the pros say it best " Weather Advisory

/O.UPG.KPQR.HW.A.0016.061113T0300Z- 061113T1200Z/ /O.EXB.KPQR.HW.W. 0021.061113T0600Z-061113T1200Z/ LOWER COLUMBIA-GREATER PORTLAND METRO AREA- CENTRAL WILLAMETTE VALLEY-NORTHERN OREGON CASCADE FOOTHILLS-I- 5 CORRIDOR IN COWLITZ COUNTY-GREATER VANCOUVER AREA- SOUTH WASHINGTON CASCADE FOOTHILLS- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... ST. HELENS...CLATSKANIE...HILLSBORO... PORTLAND...OREGON CITY...GRESHAM... SALEM...MCMINNVILLE...DALLAS... SANDY...SILVER FALLS STATE PARK... SWEET HOME...LONGVIEW...KELSO... CASTLE ROCK...VANCOUVER...BATTLE GROUND...WASHOUGAL...TOUTLE... ARIEL... COUGAR 1234 PM PST SUN NOV 12 2006...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM PST MONDAY LOWER COLUMBIA...GREATER PORTLAND METRO AREA... CENTRAL WILLAMETTE VALLEY...NORTHERN OREGON CASCADE FOOTHILLS...I-5 CORRIDOR IN COWLITZ COUNTY...GREATER VANCOUVER AREA AND SOUTH WASHINGTON CASCADE FOOTHILLS...
    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PORTLAND HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM PST MONDAY. THE HIGH WIND WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
    A DEEPENING LOW PRESSURE AREA OFFSHORE WILL MOVE CLOSER TO THE NORTH OREGON COAST THIS AFTERNOON...THEN MOVE ACROSS WASHINGTON TONIGHT. SOUTH WINDS OF 30 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS 55 TO 60 MPH ARE EXPECTED TONIGHT. THESE POTENTIAL STRONG WINDS OVER THE INLAND VALLEYS AND FOOTHILLS OF SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON AND NORTHWEST OREGON ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP AROUND 10 MPH BUT COULD OCCUR SOONER IF THE LOW SPEEDS UP.
    A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH OR GUSTS OF 58 MPH OR MORE CAN LEAD TO FALLING TREES AND BRANCHES AND PROPERTY DAMAGE.

Links: http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...?ID=KORPORTL31

a local station very close to my house. Key things to look for are the Barometric Pressure and Wind Speed. The lower the Barometric Pressure, the stronger the winds will be.
    dead, yet alive.
  • speciale
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Dec 2005

Re: PDX - Wind Stom

welcome to Florida

I hope you make it out safe.
    Originally posted by Miroslav
    It's not like he grabbed his balls and sucked his dick. It's not like he gave the Saudis the original copy of the Constitution to use as toilet paper. It's not like he gave away the secret recipe to the Colonel's chicken. .
    No Soup for You

Comment

• asdf_admin
      i use to be important
      • Jun 2004

Re: PDX - Wind Storm

storm is here. computers off.

it's a bitch out. gonna shot some pictures.
      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• speciale
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by asdf_admin
        storm is here. computers off.

it's a bitch out. gonna shot some pictures.

do it. when Katrina hit me in S. Florida, winds were 60-75mph where I Iived. I went outside and experienced it with limited shots. What a feeling with a cat 1 storm.

When wilma hit with sustained 105mph winds which are only cat 2, I couldn't even open the front door. I tried but the wind was way to much. I couldn't imagine something as well developed as wilma with stronger winds. Scary but an awesome experience.

The key here is to be careful. People in S. Florida died to Katrina when it wasn't real strong in winds (cat1) when it hit us, yet it was strong enough to break tree limbs to fall on them. quite a few died to falling trees.

My point is to be careful, but go out enjoy mother nature. you may never get another chance. Storms are a gift from above, IMO. Stay safe, repect and enjoy the experience of the storm.
        It's not like he grabbed his balls and sucked his dick. It's not like he gave the Saudis the original copy of the Constitution to use as toilet paper. It's not like he gave away the secret recipe to the Colonel's chicken. .
        No Soup for You

Comment

• asdf_admin
          i use to be important
          • Jun 2004

i will be very careful.

he is a shot from the sky above. This thing is a monster!

dead, yet alive.

Comment

• speciale
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Dec 2005

pics or stfu
            No Soup for You

Comment

• AndyH
              Platinum Poster
              • May 2005

Originally posted by speciale
              pics or stfu

Is actually rather nice over here in London, warm and sunny. Totally inappropriate weather for mid Nov of course but I couldnt care less
              [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

• BSully828
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

Damn El Nino

Hope you made it through alright asdf
                Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
                a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

Comment

• peloquin
                  Till I Come!
                  • Jun 2004

wasnt that bad. wuss.

Comment

• thesightless
                    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                    • Jun 2004

dude, a place in vermont had 270MPH wind a week or two ago. its being verified for guiness records. but they also had the old record too at 220 or so.

also, a tornado in OK hit 318mph.
                    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                      i use to be important
                      • Jun 2004

err. still have power. need to go to work. herm.
                      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• speciale
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by thesightless
                        dude, a place in vermont had 270MPH wind a week or two ago. its being verified for guiness records. but they also had the old record too at 220 or so.

also, a tornado in OK hit 318mph.
                        i'd rather take a wind gust of 220 than getting hit by a hurricane with 185mph sustained winds like the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935

The maximum sustained wind speed at landfall was originally thought to have been 160 mph. However, recent reanalysis studies conducted by the NOAA Hurricane Research Division (HRD) concluded that the maximum sustained winds were more likely around 185 mph at landfall [2]
                        No Soup for You

Comment

Working...