X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KinKyJ
    Platinum Poser
    • Jun 2004

Happy Birthday AIDS

I can't remember that anybody posted about this already, so here goes...

On June 5, 1981, in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, brief note was taken of a peculiar cluster of pneumonia cases in five otherwise healthy gay men.

The item was the first official mention of a scourge that had no name, no known means of transmission, no treatment and no cure. Yes boys and girls, AIDS (research) celebrates its 25th birthday this year!

After a quarter of a century AIDS is no longer a disease which only affects gays and people in Third World Countries: it's all around us. But why worry? I mean, we have access to information and to protection, don't we? And even though there's still no cure, the massive campaigns all over the world have made people more careful... Newsflash: AIDS is on the rise again, now primarily in Asia where it's spreading like a wildfire especially amongst drug users. Another newsflash: because of the false sense of security, young people are having more unsafe sex again, exposing them to contamination.

I don't know if any of you have experienced AIDS or HIV from closeby, but I'll tell you one thing: it changes your life. When I lost my virginity, I was smart enough to use a condom. A couple of days later the girls calls me to tell me that her ex had found out that he was HIV positive. "So? We used a condom, what's it to me?" "Well, we've had oral sex as well, remember?" "Yeah, and?" "Well, there's a chance that if I'm HIV positive, you got contamined too..." *DANG* I was 18 and I saw my world colapsing before my eyes. The next three months (incubation time after which HIV tests are giving valid results) were the longest of my life.

After that experience I became a blood donor (see it as a blood check twice a year) and never had unsafe sex again, not even in relationships before my girlfriend tested negative (even though I hate condoms).

So people, instead of bragging about how much you're gettin' sum, ask yourself a question or two about how safe your sex life is. Do you systematically use protection? Or only when the other asks you? What do you do when you've landed a hot piece of ass but you realise you're out of latex raincoats?

Newsweek Special on AIDS
    Vatican may relax condom rules
    AIDSmap (info on HIV and AIDS)
  • groffhibbitz
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Re: Happy Birthday AIDS

Aids!

Comment

• clubber49
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

the last three months have been hellll to me. had symptoms and all the shit.
      tested negative at 100 days.

learn from experience.

Comment

• Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Oct 2005

What are some of the symtoms of this fucked up Disease?? Is there any truth to the way the story goes how a man had sex with a monkey and thats how it all began?? if so we are all fucked cause (not that i watch them) but girls that have sex with animals and all must be indangerous us all.
        Why is there no cure yet i wonder. i mean diseases like aids and cancer effects everyone no matter where u come from. why should there be all these charity shit to find a cure. i mean can't all these so called head politicans from every country say right thats it no matter how poor people are and where u come from we have to find a cure.

Comment

• DancingQueen
          AVB FanClub | President
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by clubber49
          the last three months have been hellll to me. had symptoms and all the shit.
          tested negative at 100 days.

learn from experience.
          wow really??
          I can't even imagine how scary that must be
          sigpic
          RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
          RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• RiseandShine
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by johns
            What are some of the symtoms of this fucked up Disease?? Is there any truth to the way the story goes how a man had sex with a monkey and thats how it all began?? if so we are all fucked cause (not that i watch them) but girls that have sex with animals and all must be indangerous us all.
            Why is there no cure yet i wonder. i mean diseases like aids and cancer effects everyone no matter where u come from. why should there be all these charity shit to find a cure. i mean can't all these so called head politicans from every country say right thats it no matter how poor people are and where u come from we have to find a cure.
            no real symptoms that you can detect by yourself. a few days after contamination, there's a sudden loss of something in your blood (can't remember what), then you can live years before the virus becomes actuall active.
            no one know really well the action that triggered the transfer of that virus from the monkey to the man (safe to say it was not sex). the basic idea is that you have on one hand virus that are specific to a specie. on the other hand, viruses mutate constantly, the day you have a virus that mutates and becomes apt to evolve in the human body, it transfers itself. the bad thing is that as the virus is new, the human body is not prepared... same deal with the asian flu. flu is a type of virus but there are lots of them. the field of epidemiology has studied virus spread over centuries and major deseases spread always seem to come the same way.
            The use of fund to find a certain type of desease is highly political wether you like it or not. it changes from year to year. a friend of mine works on aids at NIH and budgets come and go. AIDS competes against cancer, parkinson and other deseases that are not cured yet...
            the hard bit about HIV is its constantly mutating form that makes it both very adaptable to new cure and very hard to understand.
            If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is: infinite. - William Blake

Comment

• ubiqe
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

But the nice thing about AIDS, on the other hand, is that if everybody stopped having sex for 3 moths, it would be gone Can't say that about tuberculosis for example... Much more vicious disease. Btw, wasn't yesterday an anniversary of Freddie Mercury's death?

Comment

• RiseandShine
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Sep 2006

yes 24th of November.
                Don't get your part of people not having sex for 3 months though
                If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is: infinite. - William Blake

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                  Not cool enough
                  • Jun 2004

it's just like all these other diseases, they're will never be cures for them. Only better prescriptions that will help you last longer so that you can pay more money to the companies that make those pills that help keep you alive.

If they came out with a cure, those companies would all go under quite quickly, and they don't want that.
                  Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                  My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                  My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
                    it's just like all these other diseases, they're will never be cures for them. Only better prescriptions that will help you last longer so that you can pay more money to the companies that make those pills that help keep you alive.

If they came out with a cure, those companies would all go under quite quickly, and they don't want that.

Thats excatly what i meant by finding a cure. Enough is enough i say and for some reason i think there is a cure out there for most of these diseases. its just that they don't want to give it out.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                      Not cool enough
                      • Jun 2004

you got it bro.
                      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• lilsensa
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

Everyone has AIDS!
                        AIDS AIDS AIDS!
                        AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS!
                        Everyone has AIDS!

And so this is the end of our story
                        And everyone is dead from AIDS
                        It took from me my best friend
                        My only true pal
                        My only bright star (he died of AIDS)

Well I'm gonna march on Washington
                        Lead the fight and charge the brigades
                        There's a hero inside of all of us
                        I'll make them see everyone has AIDS

My father (AIDS!)
                        My sister (AIDS!)
                        My uncle and my cousin and her best friend (AIDS AIDS AIDS!)
                        The gays and the straights
                        And the white and the spades

Everyone has AIDS!
                        My grandma and my dog 'ol blue (AIDS AIDS AIDS)
                        The pope has got it and so do you (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)
                        C'mon everybody we got quilting to do (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)
                        We gotta break down these baricades, everyone has
                        AIDS! x 20
                        RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

Working...