If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
After finally fooling around with Vista and beginning to like it more and more (other than the fact its slowing my Laptop down)
Originally posted by Funky Dredd
but I was able to blue screen it trying to install my vpn software. Which was a shock, but I have other methods to get in to where I work so it wasn't a show stopper!
And you're liking it? That would be the first & last 2 reasons I would not like it. Last because I would get rid of it instantly after it crashes for the first time. On my desktop I have win2k running for over 4 years without reinstalling, cleaning registry or doing anything of the kind. Not a single system crash. No blue screen ever. My lap was going on win2k like this for almost 3 years until the hdd failed But no system crashing, slowing down, anything. That's what I call stability Going away from nt was the worst move microsoft ever made. And when I read about no backward compatibility planned from now on, I made a final decision. Next year I'm buying a mac
Of course, if you're using your comp for watching movies, listening to music or writing text files, it probably doesn't matter. But if you need to use your comps power to the max... ffs, if the os needs 1gb of ram to run smoothly, it can't be good. you probably can't run anything memory consuming on it...
And you're liking it? That would be the first & last 2 reasons I would not like it. Last because I would get rid of it instantly after it crashes for the first time. On my desktop I have win2k running for over 4 years without reinstalling, cleaning registry or doing anything of the kind. Not a single system crash. No blue screen ever. My lap was going on win2k like this for almost 3 years until the hdd failed But no system crashing, slowing down, anything. That's what I call stability Going away from nt was the worst move microsoft ever made. And when I read about no backward compatibility planned from now on, I made a final decision. Next year I'm buying a mac
Of course, if you're using your comp for watching movies, listening to music or writing text files, it probably doesn't matter. But if you need to use your comps power to the max... ffs, if the os needs 1gb of ram to run smoothly, it can't be good. you probably can't run anything memory consuming on it...
Actually I am liking it. From a domain standpoint they have added a lot for system administrators. The print management console which is also in Windows 2003 R2 has now been brought to Vista, which is fantastic for me. No more logging on to a remote server to add a printer, I can just do it from my laptop and push it to several print servers at the same time.
The 1gb of ram is a downside, but you don't have to have the eye candy if you don't want it, there is always classic which uses less resources and you can still tweak it to your liking. I do like the Aero interface though and it has been a bonus but it doesn't matter to me if it is there or not.
My vpn software was going to be a given for me for not being compatible, but I had no idea it would blue screen. There are only three pieces of software that I was worried about when going to Vista, PcAnywhere, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition and the Cisco VPN software. So far two out of three work for me now, Symantec released version 10.2 and it is installed and working as designed. PcAnywhere will have an update soon but it does still work with Vista (PcAnywhere Version 12). So these are not stopping points for me.
I agree that Win2k is pretty robust but XP was better (for me) and I am sure that once the bugs are fixed in Vista (just like they were with XP and Win2k) that it will be robust as well.
I wouldn't say they are ugly, just WAY to much going on...looks like clutter
sigpic RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
I wouldn't say they are ugly, just WAY to much going on...looks like clutter
that cuz they showing all the little things that come with the theme, those themes actually prevent you from having icons on desktop, you have to link it all through interior menus.
your life is an occasion, rise to it.
Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
download that. deep shit listed there
Jib says:
he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
Originally posted by ace_dl
Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
And you're liking it? That would be the first & last 2 reasons I would not like it. Last because I would get rid of it instantly after it crashes for the first time. On my desktop I have win2k running for over 4 years without reinstalling, cleaning registry or doing anything of the kind. Not a single system crash. No blue screen ever. My lap was going on win2k like this for almost 3 years until the hdd failed But no system crashing, slowing down, anything. That's what I call stability Going away from nt was the worst move microsoft ever made. And when I read about no backward compatibility planned from now on, I made a final decision. Next year I'm buying a mac
Of course, if you're using your comp for watching movies, listening to music or writing text files, it probably doesn't matter. But if you need to use your comps power to the max... ffs, if the os needs 1gb of ram to run smoothly, it can't be good. you probably can't run anything memory consuming on it...
The lack of preloaded drivers with Win2K made life a living hell for me at work. Yes no OS is absolutely perfect, but if you consider that the revisions of vista from RC1 to Gold are day and night and this software has not been officially released as yet, says a bit for Microsoft's efforts. The slowdown at my end is because my Lappie uses shared video memory and Vista is an eye candy treat waiting to unfold. But when you use the OS, you can really "tell" that is feels more solid than any other Windows OS from the past. I personall never saw any BSOD during my trial period and once they release compatable Microphone drivers for IM, I'm going back to it for sure.
Jib says:
he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
Originally posted by ace_dl
Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪• אין סוף •♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•
Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment