X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • esef
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Homemade Sat Radio Software

Catching Blondie's reunion tour broadcast at 4 a.m. wasn't an option for XM satellite radio subscriber and single father Scott MacLean. (blondie?!!!?? BLONDIE??!!!! )

"I was missing concerts that were being broadcasted when I was asleep or out," he said.

So the 35-year-old computer programmer from Ottawa, Ontario, wrote a piece of software that let him record the show directly onto his PC hard drive while he snoozed. The software, TimeTrax, also neatly arranged the individual songs from the concert, complete with artist name and song title information, into MP3 files.

Then MacLean started selling the software, putting him in the thick of a potential legal battle pitting technically savvy fans against a company protecting its alliance -- and licensing agreements -- with the music industry.

MacLean says he is simply seeking to make XM Radio -- the largest U.S. satellite radio service with over 2.1 million members paying $10 a month for about 120 channels -- a little more user-friendly.

"The larger issue here is they came out with one lock and another creative person goes out to create a key," said Michael McGuire, an analyst at technology research firm Gartner. "It's very hard for policy and copyright law to keep up with the pace of technological change."

A spokesman for the Recording Industry Association of America said his organization had not reviewed the software, but said in principle it was disturbed by the idea. "We remain concerned about any devices or software that permit listeners to transform a broadcast into a music library," RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy said.

The RIAA and XM are both busy figuring out if any copyright laws and user agreements have been broken.

MacLean's software essentially marries the song information with an analog recording of the broadcasts, then stores this in MP3 files. The user can leave the software running unattended for hours and amass a vast library of songs.

MORE

fuck you RIAA. get the fuck out of everyone's buzness you bitches!!!!

3-time Breakspoll nominated in the 'Best Website' category
  • swedetech
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Re:: Homemade Sat Radio Software

that tool is sick!

---------------

check out http://www.stockmonk.net for all your graphic needs!!! and www.jnmedia.com for custom websites, animation, 3d and more...

Comment

• Jibgolly
      Vortexuralizor
      • Jun 2004

i would love to try it out.
      hope this guy doesnt do jail time for this.

down with the fuckin riaa. assholes!!

Comment

• master of puppets
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2004

Blondie the classic band??
        the last things I heard of them sucks.
        DIODE NOISE GENERATOR

slsk: bass_warrior

Comment

• rewing3
          I really don't care
          • Jun 2004

I hope he wins actually. Just to Screw the RIAA. Controlling Bastards.
          Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

Working...