X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

fortier, loneliness, and a secret surprise

just got home from a Fortier show here in KC. I ended up going alone because all my friends are either 1) cheap, or 2) dedicated to lame causes. I ended up leaving at midnight to go there, and I even had a friend call me at ~11 to make sure I was going so she could meet me there... she never showed. no sweat though. sometimes it's more fun being at shows alone. fortier played for a short 2 hours: 12:30 to 2:45, he was rocking it until 2, and the last 45 minutes or so of his set was decent but nothing special. I heard him pull out a few records that were 5+ years old that I definitely didn't feel like hearing... overall I had fun, though, probably thanks to my ~6 shots of jager. the club shut down at a quarter til 3, and I walked through the club threshold only to hear *pop pop pop* *pop pop pop* in the direction I'm walking. I quickly realized I heard 6 gunshots. did they just empty their barrel in my parking lot? I looked around and people standing outside around the club started ducking. I was just drunk enough to either not care about the shots or not worry about being a target since I hadn't pissed anyone off over the night... it did make me stop in my tracks though. I didn't want to keep walking toward my car where the gunshots were coming from. after 30 seconds I walked toward my car and started laughing as I saw the same uniformed officer (made-for-hire?) that I saw when I arrived patrolling the parking lot as if he was fucking deaf. I jumped in the car and got on the one-way street, which took me right back in front of the club. SkyBox (former Kabal), for those of you familiar with Kansas City, has had a history of shootings in front of it due to it's 2-story/2-stage/2-different-crowds environment. I think last year we actually started 2005 with a murder at 2am on Jan 1st. Maybe 2004.. but it definitely happened.

As I pulled around the corner off that one-way road I heard a seventh gunshot. That plus the track at 21:00 in the Habamersham Chicago mix pounding the sub made for a perfect ending of a semi-perfect (tonight's glass is probably half-empty) night.

back to the routine. cold weather + computer + tv = yeeeehaw. sweet dreams folks.
  • fletcher
    Platinum Poster
    • Jul 2005

Re: fortier, loneliness, and a secret surprise

Drink Drivers All Deserve Jail
    http://fletchymole.wordpress.com/

Comment

• FM
      Wooooooo!
      • Jun 2004

I have comments later on...but I must sleep first...
      FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
      "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
      Facebook!
      A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• MJ
        Here since 2002
        • Jun 2004

Shit, I can't comprehend what it must be like in or around a club to hear gunshots, that shit must be scary. What suprises even more though is that you were drink driving. Adam!
        mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• hypoluxxa
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MJ
          Shit, I can't comprehend what it must be like in or around a club to hear gunshots, that shit must be scary. What suprises even more though is that you were drink driving. Adam!
          Happens here in LA @ hip hop clubs, ususally never around house music, although you can get shot no matter what kind of music you listen to while driving to the venue.

Comment

• picklemonkey
            • Jun 2004

I drank two red bull & jagers... I wasn't binge drinking alone. I'm guessing there was 2 or 3 shots in each. even still, do you really expect someone to be hammered if they drink 5 or 6 drinks throughout the whole night until 3am? I was slightly buzzed at most by time I left. forget I even said anything.

Comment

• Lorn
              Looking for a title!
              • Sep 2004

Seven gun shots? Shite....

Comment

• Jibgolly
                Vortexuralizor
                • Jun 2004

i am glad you got home safe picklemonkey.

Comment

• DancingQueen
                  AVB FanClub | President
                  • Oct 2005

wow that's nuts....glad you weren't shot!
                  sigpic
                  RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
                  RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• jay813
                    Platinum Poster
                    • May 2005

there must have been a hip hop club that just got out. glad to see your ok. i used to worry about shit like that when i went to buzz in DC. talk about a shithole that club was put in the middle of.lol. i saw chris fortier last year in tampa, blew the roof off.

lol and now that i think about it, my friend and my sister left me that night at the club and i ended up seeing fortier alone too, haha

Comment

• picklemonkey
                      • Jun 2004

like I said... the club has two floors/two different crowds. always edm on one floor and rap/hiphop on the other. there are no other clubs around the area

Comment

• Jibgolly
                        Vortexuralizor
                        • Jun 2004

fully automatic mack 10, neva leev home widdout yo!

Comment

• FM
                          Wooooooo!
                          • Jun 2004

the hip-hop crowd tends to have shootings...the EDM crowd just tends to have fights

had one Saturday night when I went to see Rap right at the end...someone got cut pretty darn good as there was a nice amount of blood on the floor after...just kind of walked around, looked at it, shook my head, and just gave heads up to those walking around it, as they were oblivious.

Ehhh, several years at an amusement park cleaning up people's puke and the like from the rides they were on made me a little neutral to seeing that type of stuff

I was also alone there too, as my friends are in the other boat of "going to the bars and drinking" The flipside is I get to see a fair amount of people I know there, so all isn't lost...

Decent night; small afterparty after and I got home 'round 5AM...
                          FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                          "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                          Facebook!
                          A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Kinetic
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey
                            I drank two red bull & jagers... I wasn't binge drinking alone. I'm guessing there was 2 or 3 shots in each. even still, do you really expect someone to be hammered if they drink 5 or 6 drinks throughout the whole night until 3am? I was slightly buzzed at most by time I left. forget I even said anything.
                            Totally know what you mean. The fact that you had a couple of drinks doesn?t immediately put you drunk to the point of passing out.

A couple of weeks ago I went out to my sister?s club, I can drink whatever I want there and I don?t have to pay for anything, so I?m guessin? I drunk about 5 or 6 Vodkas with lemon and about 4 or 5 little shots of tequilla or whatever, all this between 1 am and 5 am.

I left feeling a little buzzed, but completely aware. Then came the test : police pulled me over on a routine operation and told me to blow the breathalyzer. i don?t know how you guys measure these things in the States, but my result was 0.29 grammes per liter. The legal limit is 0.50.

So you see, despite me drinking more than what most people consider normal, I was still perfectly legal. It all depends on the person and the day it is.

As for the shooting...well, I?ve mentioned it before, over here it happens a lot more in hip-hop parties, but maybe some of you remember a video I posted a couple of months ago of a riot in a DJ Vibe/Victor Calderone party...
                            "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                            http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

Working...