X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palmer
    Retired or Simply Important
    • Jun 2004

do what you love and starve

read this bullshit. I see no point to it other than to make about so many millions feel like their life sucks a little bit less.

/herding the sheep

Extra Extra!
    todayistomorrow
    art direction | design | animation
  • Civic_Zen
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

This is a Michael Moore philosophy, and the same thing democrats would like you to believe. The fact is, any American can start a business that can thrive, and the government will give you the money to start that business because they want you to have it.
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
    "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Steve Graham
      DJ Jelly
      • Jun 2004

you're right, that was a whole load of absolutley nothing.

I wonder how much the twat got paid to write that. lol

Comment

• Civic_Zen
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

After reading the whole article. I thought it ended for some reason because of the ad, this article is really good. Owning your own business is the only way to go.
        "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
        "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
        - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• BureOne
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

Re:: do what you love and starve

Yeah, was a pretty decent read... but what the fuck does this mean or have to do with anything:

"anything serving Latinos (entertainment, schools, hospitals, criminal justice system)"

And then the person has the nerve to inlclude the Criminal Justice system?! A little too prejudice for my taste from a dumb ass!

Comment

• FM
            Wooooooo!
            • Jun 2004

he's actually right though...not so you can charge a shitload of money for your services...in fact that's why many Latinos have a tough time; no one wants to help them unless they can afford the high costs as is, or there aren't any/enough places that strictly cater to that clientele...yes a lot of them may get in trouble, but hardly anyone can help them out in the end.

That ethnic group is a major untapped market in many cities, and now they are slowly comprising of a substantial percentage of said city's population...

Theoretically, if you set up a service (say bail bondsman) and charged a fee that's typically less, or in which hardly others are around/willing to help out that way, you'd probably end up getting swamped with customers and make more in the long run...and well beat those odds of succeeding.

This really isn't prejudice, this is more of the truth!
            FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
            "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
            Facebook!
            A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• FM
              Wooooooo!
              • Jun 2004

"The problem is that too many people crave the same few careers, for example, the arts and non-profit work."

That is true...I mean how many of us wish to become a good DJ, yet find that gigs are few and far between unless you know enough of the right people...or that everyone's trying to throw a night on...or that everyone in the area is a DJ...or that no one wants to have you spin at their place...most every local DJ I know has another full-time type job to support themselves, otherwise they'd practically be in the streets.

Doesn't mean you WON'T succeed, just that the road is tougher to climb..it's the simple fact that the ratios are way too big to accomodate everyone. So prove yourself you're better then the rest. Or you may have to go someplace where your services might be in higher demand for at least some time.
              FM

"I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Facebook!

Comment

• Garrick
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

what happens if you want to starve for a living??
                Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• FM
                  Wooooooo!
                  • Jun 2004

you'll starve X 2
                  FM

Facebook!

Comment

• the sun the sea
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

fuck it, do what you love. it's better than selling out.

i use to be in sales making good money, but i hated it. i wasn't the "sales" type.

i got sick of it and left. i've always wanted to be a teacher, so i did.

yeah, the first year sucked. my starting salary was only 29,087 a year!!

i just started my sixth year teaching, and i'm making more than double my first year salary..

i know it's not much, but heck, i get all my weekends/holidays off, and i'm outta there by 3pm everyday. plus, the most important thing: i love it and i've never been happier.
                    download dj sets at: www.mixwalla.com

Comment

• master of puppets
                      Addiction started
                      • Jun 2004

that's pure crap, bullshit.
                      DIODE NOISE GENERATOR

slsk: bass_warrior

Comment

• fuzzybaffy
                        Fresh Peossy
                        • Jun 2004

Re:: do what you love and starve

Yea I read through half of it, and by the time the writer went on about owning a "non-innovative" business I decided it was total shit.

He's obviously not an entrepreneur. He is someone who always plays it safe.

That's not the road to making it big, IMO. You've gotta take risks, and failures always come with them. In the end, though, the payoff can be huge.

This is not to say that one should throw away everything for his passion. A back-up should always be there - that's just a given. Anybody who throws away his current job and lifestyle to try to make it big in Hollywood is just a dumbass.

Comment

• FM
                          Wooooooo!
                          • Jun 2004

and I'm sure there's plenty of them!
                          FM

Facebook!

Comment

• palmer
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by the sun the sea
                            fuck it, do what you love. it's better than selling out.

i use to be in sales making good money, but i hated it. i wasn't the "sales" type.

i got sick of it and left. i've always wanted to be a teacher, so i did.

yeah, the first year sucked. my starting salary was only 29,087 a year!!

i just started my sixth year teaching, and i'm making more than double my first year salary..

i know it's not much, but heck, i get all my weekends/holidays off, and i'm outta there by 3pm everyday. plus, the most important thing: i love it and i've never been happier.

Hell yeah man good to hear. Respect.
                            Its corny as hell but you really can do anything you want, whatever you put your mind to..... You may not make trumps millons or billys trillions but you have got to love what you do in my opinion.
                            todayistomorrow

Comment

• palmer
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Garrick
                              what happens if you want to starve for a living??

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
                              todayistomorrow

Comment

Working...