X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peloquin
    Till I Come!
    • Jun 2004

Question - Contract Jobs

i am considering applying for a job as a test technician for validation of drivers on unix/linux systems.. i am qualified for the job, and feel that a job of this type will help me more in the future than the current tech-support job i am working. the only question i have. the job is listed as a 12 month contract. i havent had a contract job before, but i have heard some negatives and some positives about it... i hear they generally pay well, but obviously no medical coverage (i dont have any anyways, so that isnt a big concern for me right now) i was basically wondering if "12 month contract" means that the contract definately lasts 12 months, or can the company lay you off after a month without offering compensation.. i am interested in the position, but my current job pays too well, and the hours are too convenient for me to risk taking a job that is gonna lay me off without compensation..

has anyone worked a contract job before.. i was hoping for a.) some pros and cons and b.) my above question answered

any help/opinions would be much appreciated, thanks in advance
  • Garrick
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

well, if 1) my job already pays well and 2) my hours are convenient then i wouldn't leave

there are lots of contractors here at Lockheed Martin and most of them seem to like it. they always get overtime, but thats the main benefit they gauk about. and they pretty much have their own hours. if it is a 12-month position then you will probably be safe for a year, but i mean if you have job security with your current job, thats something to consider too. will you be able to land ANOTHER job after your contracting position..... its a gamble man, but if it'll help your career, then it could be worth it. personally, i like having medical benefits, 401k and all the other stuff that comes along with ebing a fulltime employee. every contracting position is different, so make sure you ask the company the questions you need answered.
    Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

Re:: Question - Contract Jobs

I worked in the consulting field for nearly two years as an accout executive. In all honesty, if you are getting the job directly from the client site and not through a consulting company, then yes consulting jobs can and do pay well. I know kids from India who were making close to $140 / hour and they made a killing in silicon valley.

Firstly, get to know the real scope of the position, hopefully its not band-aid work and 2 months later, yer outta there..... be sure that the scope of the work DOES seem as broad as they're making it to be.

Secondly, be sure there is a real requirment / need for you. I've had situations where ass munchers got my consultants in JUST to get a third person's view on a road block they had hit and disguised the problem as an interview, got the work done and then rejected my consultant. Fucking waste esp since I flew the consultant from California to Massachusetts.

If the contract is valid and the project does seem realistic, 8 times out of 10 in my experience, contracts have gone over, I've almost never seen a contract last "shorter" than the stated duration unless the consultant was fired of if the company lied about their requirement.

For a consulting job, there's no compensation, you get paid and you get the fuck out, end of story.

As for medical, the amount you'll earn on the contract should be way more than enough to insure you

hit me up if you need any further info

-e-
      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      Originally posted by ace_dl
      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• peloquin
        Till I Come!
        • Jun 2004

my job doesnt pay *that* well... i get paid $9 an hour, but its such an easy job.. but its not gonna be for forever.. ill have my degree in about 6 months and id like to work with networks in the future, which makes me think that this job im considering would be beneficial if for no other reason than to put on a resume.. thanks for the advice

also, i wasnt expecting the job to give me medical coverage, in fact i had assumed that it wouldnt, my father used to contract and never got coverage.. so i think i must have said that wrong.

but thanks for the info, i will look into this job further, and see how it looks

Comment

• Garrick
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

an hourly position doesn't get you medical benefits either

dude, i'd hit up the contracting spot in a flash... that is GREAT experience when you are about to graduate. it'll look like a good internship and will DEFINITELY help you out when you look for jobs in the future. go for it , bro. good luck.
          Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• palmer
            Retired or Simply Important
            • Jun 2004

I was contracted as an art director for a software company.
            I got paid really well.
            Paid in lump at the beginning of the month.
            No benefits.
            Worked my own hours.
            12 month contract.
            Laid off after 3.

Sounds like a big gamble for you. I'd say fuck it. You only live once might as well see what doors this new experience might open.

todayistomorrow
            art direction | design | animation

Comment

• peloquin
              Till I Come!
              • Jun 2004

^thats the problem.. im worried that something like that might happen.... i guess ill just scope it out and see what it seems like.. if i got laid off after three months, id be pretty fucked

Comment

• FM
                Wooooooo!
                • Jun 2004

Well, a slight mistake of sorts is considering that you might work for it anyway...first off you have to apply...

But apply anyway and see what happens...if you get called in for an interview, stress the point that you'd be leaving a more "stable" job for this contract and ask them outright if there's a chance you'll end up being laid off a lot shorter then the contract states. If they can't be honest with you enough, or try to dodge the question, then you'll know that it's not going to be what it states...
                FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                Facebook!
                A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• peloquin
                  Till I Come!
                  • Jun 2004

^ decent idea.. but i am a nervous interviewer, not sure id have the balls to be like.. "so you guys actually gonna keep me for a year." i also wasnt presuming that i had the job in the bag or anything.. i was just trying to get some advice before i applied, wanted to see if it was likely to be worth it or not

Comment

• Garrick
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

everyone is nervous, trust me. the interviewer knows that too..... AND since it is for an IT job, he won't expect you to have great interaction skills. i'm sorry, but that is true. i noticed it through all my IT interviews after college. being a consultant and dealing with customers is different, but i don't think thats what you are interviewing for.

but think of it this way man.... nothing ventured, nothing gained. you obviously don't want to stick around in your $9/hour spot and if you get canned from this new job quickly, it shouldn't be all that difficult to find another one paying close to the same amount. in the meantime, while you do your contracting work, just network as much as possible. man, its easy to stay where you are and do nothing (i've done that for 2 years at an incredibly stupid job), but if you put your foot forward, things will work out.

Comment

• FM
                      Wooooooo!
                      • Jun 2004

I know...but you have to ask some tough questions sometimes to ensure the fact that what they claim to say is true...otherwise you find out you're going to get screwed when you do get screwed...I've had it happen twice now and have well since learned my lesson. Some places like -e- said will disguise the position and may even outright lie about it to get candidates in and get what they need done, then it's goodbye (sales positions can be notorious for this).

I'd just simply give 'em the situation that you're in and see how they respond. Again, if they seem like they're dodging the question, or can't give you a straight-up answer, then it isn't what it seems and you can walk away after the interview, no harm, no foul.
                      FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                      "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                      Facebook!
                      A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Garrick
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

^^ word

i have an interview in boulder, co. for a spot i'm not even interested in. i'm just going because its a free trip to colorado.

Comment

• DreamGirlie
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

^ Come apply around Boston

BTW Encryption...that person you speak of in silicon valley, thats damn good. my father went from making well over six figures to fucking working at a lame grocery store part time cuz he got laid off from Sun and hasnt found a new job in a fucking year. Yep im bitter. lol

Peloquin..apply for it. Even if you lose out after 4 months, you can easily find a silly job in the interim. Hell, I make over $10 and I do basically nothing at my job lol.
                          "Welcome to Hezbollah phone line, for terrorist supplies press 1."

Comment

Working...