• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sammwalk
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Re: Why Dance Music Doesn?t Get Played On the Radio

*sorry for the long post!

i think everyone's overlooking another point in that enjoying music is partly because you can identify with the general population it's written for, and also associative inasmuch as you will like it if you are constantly exposed to it in situations where you are having a good time. while there is a certain amount of intrinsic value to some sounds/combinations, there is a lot to be said for the sociological/associative aspect. take hip-hop. many whites, especially the older generations, find hip-hop distasteful because of its associations with blacks, the inner city, gangs, sex, violence, etc. there really is nothing about the actual "sound" of hip-hop that is offensive to them; they just don't like the image that it conjures. I don't like modern pop or country not because of the sound of the instrumentation, but because pop music is associated with cheapness and commonality/banality and country music reminds me of backwards and racist American cowboyism.

classical, dance music ain't by any stretch. it is similar in some respects, in terms of some forms, etc. but it is largely unique. it is a music that exists purely for the establishment of a groove; other elements are added as decoration to keep the mind entertained. classical is pure art music, with no boundaries whatsoever, rhythmically, harmonically, formally. dance music/i-edm has a purpose, to attain the groove.

people who are not into dance music have not been exposed to a situation where it is fun for them to participate in it, or cannot identify themselves with those who are already into it or what it represents to them, or will not/cannot "get into" the groove aspect (or any combination). there is also the drug factor; attaining the perception of the groove factor is almost unavoidable when under the influence of ex, pot, etc. once this barrier is broken, most will return to dance music in some form.

nearly everyone has music they don't like because it represents a situation that is distasteful to them...i think it really has little to do with the actual "sound" of the music.

Comment

• groffhibbitz
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

so I was listening to the local LA radio station, Power or something like that (not by choice). And the disc jocky made this huge announcement, and a siren went off to announce that they were going to play a new song. Imagine that! They play new stuff so infrequently, they actually have a siren go off to announce when it happens!!!

Comment

• beanzncheez
        Banned
        • Jun 2004

@ listening to Power 106. But they did rock in the mid 80s.

Comment

• Garrick
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

electronica isn't aired over waves in europe? i really haven't a clue how popular dance music is there, but this article seems to focus on american culture only.

agree with #3. the reason it isn't popular over here because the majority of people that don't listen have already stereotyped our personalities because we listen to "rave" music... i listen, therefore i'm on heroin, etc etc. just like ones that listen to death metal, people just assume that you have a certain peresonality.
          Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• beanzncheez
            Banned
            • Jun 2004

^ ^ But you're more accepted because you're a homosexual.

Comment

• Garrick
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

haha, i threw the death metal quote in there just for you and that's the best you could come up with?
              Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• beanzncheez
                Banned
                • Jun 2004

^ ^ I didn't even get that far while reading your post. I should have checked.
                What about death metal? That's an understood. People are too fucking stupid to understand that genre of rock. Even the kids getting into it nowadays don't know shit. Present day bands are fucking assfuck and know nothing about the genre.

Comment

Working...