X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BSully828
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by day_for_night
    George Dubuya would only take interest in the Sudan if he thought he could benefit from liberating it. i love how he says invading Iraq was done to protect the people, yet he hasnt uttered a word about sudan, the congo, or any other area of the world where mass genocide is still occuring. funny, huh?

You forgot to mention how Sudan doesn't have as much oil as Iraq, or maybe the fact that their dictator didn't try to kill his pops. That's the only reason Dubs goes anywhere right - revenge and money?

Anyway, you're right about the fact that it has been reported in the states - but obviously not enough to raise awareness. It's sad to say and, as an American, I'm ashamed to admit that our media spends more time reporting on what JLo was wearing at the VMA's than how many more villages were wiped out by a ruthless government. This kind of stuff is happening every day but the front page of newspapers across the country don't report it. You really have to dig just to find even the most cursory report - outlets like NPR, for example, have correspondents on the front lines every day filing reports. But compare the audience of NPR to that of say, People Magazine and you'll see where the focus of the American media is placed. Shameful.

I say "American Media" instead of "American Public" for a reason. I think (well pray actually) that if you were to take publications like Us Magazine, People, In Touch and the countless other rags out there that focus on the vaunted lives of "celebrities" off the shelves, they would not be missed one bit. If those glorified rolls of toilet paper were replaced by more relevant news, atrocities like that in Sudan, Rwanda, Venezuela and others would not go so unnoticed.

[/rant]

Great article by Mr. Camp though, articulate and thought provoking. Who said that DJs are just mindless meatheads? Damn you Jonathan Peters! Damn you and your stereotype-creating ways!
    Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
    a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

Comment

Working...