• Show
Clear All
  • threehills
    I heart Lollergirl
    • Jun 2005

"An Inconvenient Truth" banned in schools

Gore's 'Truth' restricted at schools

The Associated Press

FEDERAL WAY - The school board in this suburb south of Seattle has restricted showings of Al Gore's movie on global warming, including requiring that it be balanced with an adequate opposing viewpoint.

The board also required Superintendent Tom Murphy to approve when the former vice president's film, "An Inconvenient Truth," can be presented.

The decision was sparked by complaints from parents who said their child was taking the film as fact after viewing it at school.

"Condoms don't belong in school, and neither does Al Gore. He's not a schoolteacher," said Frosty Hardison, a parent of seven who doesn't want the film shown at all.
    "The information that's being presented is a very cockeyed view of what the truth is," Hardison told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "The Bible says that in the end times everything will burn up, but that perspective isn't in the DVD."

Board President Ed Barney told The News Tribune of Tacoma on Wednesday that he'd received about a half-dozen complaints from parents.

"We have to ensure that our schools are not being used to politically indoctrinate anyone," said board member Dave Larson, who with Barney and board member Charlie Hoff voted Tuesday for the requirements.

None has seen the movie. District policy, however, requires that an opposing view be aired whenever a controversial issue is examined in school.

"I am shocked that a school district would come to this decision," the movie's co-producer, Laurie David, said in a prepared statement. "There is no opposing view to science, which is fact, and the facts are clear that global warming is here, now."
    Gore's documentary has received approval from some of the nation's top climate scientists for its accuracy.

In it, he presents scientists' findings on the catastrophic dangers of climate change.
    Federal researchers with the National Academy of Sciences have said the planet's temperature has climbed to levels not seen in thousands of years, and has begun to affect plants and animals.

But Larson offered two opposing articles, including one by author John Stossel that said many scientists discredit global warming predictions. He also cited NASA and NOAA Web sites referring to debate and disagreement over climate change.

The film also has been denied a showing at Tacoma's Remann Hall, a high school for juvenile offenders, where Principal Rue Palmer denied a teacher's request.

The film hasn't been approved by the Tacoma district's curriculum committee. The school also focuses on core subjects and doesn't generally show films, explained Patti Holmgren, Tacoma School District spokeswoman.

The National Science Teachers Association turned down an offer from the film's producers for 50,000 free DVDs for classroom use. The association said it didn't want to be seen as politically endorsing the film or open itself to requests from other special interests.
    I can't believe the wouldn't want to show this. Clearly, the religious viewpoints are the driving force behind the ban. The goes mother earth.
    It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.
  • KinKyJ
    Platinum Poser
    • Jun 2004

Re: "An Inconvenient Truth" banned in schools

Way to go Frosty: http://www.mercuryserver.com/forums/...ad.php?t=36483

Comment

• fletcher
      Platinum Poster
      • Jul 2005

http://fletchymole.wordpress.com/

Comment

• asdf_admin
        i use to be important
        • Jun 2004

Thank God. POS Movie. Uber Political Propaganda From The Left Wing.

ps. GORE YOU LOST.
        dead, yet alive.

Comment

• Taylor Norris
          Platinum Poster
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by asdf_admin
          Thank God. POS Movie. Uber Political Propaganda From The Left Wing.

ps. GORE YOU LOST.
          i agree but the facts presented are quite eye opening

Comment

• asdf_admin
            i use to be important
            • Jun 2004

Facts ?!? I am not so sure about the facts aspect, I will credit you this it was done and instilled fear into many people. Great political campaign tool, actually perfect. In retrospect many aspects were ignored or altered to fit the case of Global Warming. I am not saying that it's not going to happen nor it is happening. The fact still remains we live on one planet and what "we" in a global aspect can/will/may cause adverse conditions. That is what makes me so upset. If truly this was Gore's passion and agenda, we would of heard of it during his election, but we did not. It is a political ploy, like using religion in your battle. It's a crap shot. Michael Moore Redux.
            dead, yet alive.

Comment

• lilsensa
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by asdf_admin
              Facts ?!? I am not so sure about the facts aspect, I will credit you this it was done and instilled fear into many people. Great political campaign tool, actually perfect. In retrospect many aspects were ignored or altered to fit the case of Global Warming. I am not saying that it's not going to happen nor it is happening. The fact still remains we live on one planet and what "we" in a global aspect can/will/may cause adverse conditions. That is what makes me so upset. If truly this was Gore's passion and agenda, we would of heard of it during his election, but we did not. It is a political ploy, like using religion in your battle. It's a crap shot. Michael Moore Redux.
              ^^^Well said!!! Al Gore sucks!! He even showed up on MTV's video music awards (or whatever its called) and gave a little speech about it...Like the young people didnt see right through that??!!!! He needs to get real.......and get the hell out of our faces
              RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• asdf_admin
                i use to be important
                • Jun 2004

^^^ haha. " asdf - getting people to riot since 96 "
                dead, yet alive.

Comment

• lilsensa
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

im trying to find that pathetic video of him at the awards show....no luck, but you get my point...he is like most politicians, there at the right time, saying the "right" things, to sway your opinion for the "right" cause....
                  RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Miroslav
                    WHOA I can change this!1!
                    • Apr 2006

I'm somewhere in the middle on this (as I am on many things..). While I do agree that global warming is real and is not something to just discard as political fantasy, I do also agree that Al Gore's movie is more open to question than people may think...

Yes, the science-based evidence behind global warming is what it is...it is happening. The key question is: WHY is it happening? How much of current global warming trends are due to humanity (i.e., cars, rain forest stuff, etc.) and how much is due to natural events beyond our control (i.e., the sun)?

This is not the first time that the earth has experienced "global warming". We've gone through several drastic warming and cooling periods (ice ages, anyone?) long before people were around. The sun does not emit energy at a constant rate; it has cycles of greater and lesser intensity.

All this is not to say that people may not be contributing significantly to global warming - maybe they are. But it's tough for science to determine the relative proportional contribution. What we're doing now is seeing the symptoms and assuming that it's us - which may not be a bad approach anyways...perhaps better to err on the side of caution (plus it's generally better for the environment..).
                    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• asdf_admin
                      i use to be important
                      • Jun 2004

yep. exactly.
                      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• lilsensa
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

maybe this is contributing to global warming.......

hmmm...
                        RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Taylor Norris
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Miroslav
                          What we're doing now is seeing the symptoms and assuming that it's us - which may not be a bad approach anyways...perhaps better to err on the side of caution (plus it's generally better for the environment..).
                          In no way was I trying to defend Gore. I sat down to watch the movie assuming it was political propaganda and was ready to look past it. Miroslav it right on. No one can prove beyond any doubt what the cause of all this is but it cannot hurt to conserve our energy and resources. Im not democratic or republican, just human, and realize that something is happening and anything that I can do to help preserve the future of our home is a positive action and that is a fact.

The episode of South Park where the kids are voting between a giant douche and turd sandwich for their new school mascot accurately represents my feelings on politicans....

Comment

• 88Mariner
                            My dick is smaller
                            • Nov 2006

what kills me was the REASON why this jackass wanted it cancelled. I saw this yesterday and was like, "hmmm, finally someone eliminating this from schools because of the flawed science in the movie. about time." But I read on, and I read it again. I couldn't believe it. This fvckface wants this movie banned because it doesn't show up in the BIBLE?

I honestly don't know how to respond to this one. Not only do i hate scare-science, but I hate religion, too.

I say we ban both from schools and get on with things..
                            you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Miroslav
                              WHOA I can change this!1!
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Mindstatic Pro
                              In no way was I trying to defend Gore. I sat down to watch the movie assuming it was political propaganda and was ready to look past it. Miroslav it right on. No one can prove beyond any doubt what the cause of all this is but it cannot hurt to conserve our energy and resources. Im not democratic or republican, just human, and realize that something is happening and anything that I can do to help preserve the future of our home is a positive action and that is a fact.

The episode of South Park where the kids are voting between a giant douche and turd sandwich for their new school mascot accurately represents my feelings on politicans....

Well, I'm certainly no expert on it...but that's perhaps the rub - we maybe won't know the full cause until we're looking in the rear view mirror. And if it's us, it will certainly be too late by then...so it's important to act now. On the other hand, if it is just the sun, then we'll all be screwed anyways yay.

btw, are you back in Indy now? I gotta get up there again soon...
                              mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

Working...