If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
So basically, if your are a DJ who is paid to play in a club you must clear every track you play? Or are all records sold with a performance license?
Nightclubs are supposed to pay a fee to RIAA (or ARIA for Australia, or the equivalent body for your country), who then theoretically distribute the royalties to their labels who fall under them as members.
Again, I could be wrong but that's my take on it.
If you notice how some DJs get very anal about their live sets getting out, it's prolly because the labels releasing that music gets pissed about it, and might have valid reasons too.
If all these rap guys stood up for the guy in court, it could get thrown out. But saying and doing are two completely different things.
This could work, except that you'd probably find that the labels hold the copyright on the music and not the artist. They're two different bodies who can get pissed about people distributing and/or making money off their music.
"If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004
I suppose it may boil down to a point on that if you're selling these mixtapes and making a nice profit off of them (whether you're selling to stores or on your own), then that would be an easier way to get nailed. I'm willing to bet this was the case, because his name brand was pretty popular....and they confiscated 81,000 discs
I've known DJ's over the years to sell mix CD's from time to time, but usually it's nothing more then to basically recuperate costs of making them...if there's a profit, it's enough to buy lunch basically the rest usually give it out for free or on the Net.
FM
"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers
What record did you loose your virginity to?
"I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment