X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SyntaxTerror
    • Jun 2004

Re: DJ Drama arrested for selling mixtapes

Originally posted by Morgan
    So basically, if your are a DJ who is paid to play in a club you must clear every track you play? Or are all records sold with a performance license?
    Nightclubs are supposed to pay a fee to RIAA (or ARIA for Australia, or the equivalent body for your country), who then theoretically distribute the royalties to their labels who fall under them as members.

Again, I could be wrong but that's my take on it.

If you notice how some DJs get very anal about their live sets getting out, it's prolly because the labels releasing that music gets pissed about it, and might have valid reasons too.

If all these rap guys stood up for the guy in court, it could get thrown out. But saying and doing are two completely different things.
    This could work, except that you'd probably find that the labels hold the copyright on the music and not the artist. They're two different bodies who can get pissed about people distributing and/or making money off their music.
    "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• FM
      Wooooooo!
      • Jun 2004

I suppose it may boil down to a point on that if you're selling these mixtapes and making a nice profit off of them (whether you're selling to stores or on your own), then that would be an easier way to get nailed. I'm willing to bet this was the case, because his name brand was pretty popular....and they confiscated 81,000 discs

I've known DJ's over the years to sell mix CD's from time to time, but usually it's nothing more then to basically recuperate costs of making them...if there's a profit, it's enough to buy lunch basically the rest usually give it out for free or on the Net.
      FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
      "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
      Facebook!
      A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• lilsensa
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

LMAO @ selling mixtapes!!! thats almost as good as those tool selling diggers mixes on ebay....dumbasses...he deserves to be punished, imo...
        RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

Working...