Clear All
  • subterFUSE
    Gold Gabber
    • Nov 2006

Correction about Obama

Next installment of newsletter.

A CORRECTION ABOUT OBAMA
    Dear Friend,
    My abject apologies! I was wrong in saying that Senator Barak Obama voted against a ban on spouses working for Senators on their campaign or PAC payrolls.

Obama voted against tabling the bill, not against the bill itself. He was one of only a handful of Democrats that did so (most Republicans backed the reform).
    The attempt to bring the ban to a vote failed last week, but the Senate adopted it last night.

Sometimes its tough to follow the twists and turns of Senate votes and, in this case, I messed up.

I'll try to see that it doesn't happen again.

I've published a front page apology to Obama in The Hill where the column appeared in a print version.

Thanks for reading my columns. I hope you like them.

Yours,
    Dick Morris
    -----------------------------------------------------
    THE RACE TO THE LEFT
    By DICK MORRIS & EILEEN MCGANN
    January 19, 2007 -- All three top candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination ?Clinton, Obama, and Edwards ? are racing to the left, as support for Bush?s war policies unravels.
    Each is auditioning for the role of Ned Lamont, the victor of the Connecticut Democratic senatorial primary of 2007, and each are hoping to stick the other two with a shared cameo as Joe Lieberman. (None of the three will heed the ultimate outcome of that race which was, of course, the re-election of Joe. Their focus will be: First win the nomination.)
    Former vice presidential candidate John Edwards struck the first telling blow of the race to the left on Martin Luther King Day. After sneaking into Hillary Clinton?s backyard, he told a New York audience that failure to speak out against the war in Iraq ? as King himself characterized the avoidance of criticizing the war in Vietnam ? is a silence tantamount to "betrayal." In that bold pronouncement, he defined himself as the left of the Democratic field, stealing the title from a damaged John Kerry and an absent Al Gore.
    Hillary was caught flat-footed by the Edwards foray. Like the Hessians who slept when Washington crossed the Delaware, her aging staff was caught napping when Edwards crossed the Hudson, to vent his anti-war message at the time-honored shrine for such sacraments ? Riverside Church. Her staff?s routine comeback ? that Edwards was going negative ? was lame in the extreme. And when Hillary needed to be front and center attacking Bush and trumpeting her anti-war credentials, she was posing for photo ops in Iraq instead.
    On her return from Iraq, Hillary found herself playing catch-up as she announced her support for a troop "cap" in Iraq, while opposing a funding "cutoff." What that circumlocution means is anybody?s guess.
    If the cap passes and Bush sends in troops to Iraq above the "cap" anyway under his powers of commander in chief, will Hillary vote to cut off the funding for the extra troops or not? If yes, she ruins her hard won hawk and centrist credentials. If not, she will find herself supporting only a symbolic, perhaps unenforceable troop cap. Remember the division of powers: Bush is commander in chief. The Congress controls the funding.
    This ultimate vote, to cut off funding for any troops Bush sends to Iraq will become the new litmus test the left will apply as it searches for a candidate. Forget the 2002 vote to authorize the war. It?s gone and done with.
    And Hillary and Obama will likely flunk the test. Both will worry that such a cutoff would not play well in November and neither wants to be accused of undercutting our military during a war. Anti-war activists will berate them for this failure, noting that they helped to propel the Democrats to a Congressional majority just so they could act decisively to curtail war funding, rather than just symbolically to express an opinion.
    Edwards, for his part, doesn?t have to. He?s not a Senator. He can say whatever he wants. So Edwards is the inevitable winner of this race to the left, because he is not a sitting U.S. Senator. He can posture on the left all he wants while Hillary and Barack have to face the reality of voting against paying for the troops.
    Edwards can attack the troop surge all he wants and condemn the "silence" of the two lambs that oppose him. In doing so, he becomes the left of a triangular field of candidates, a healthy place to be in a Democratic primary.
    John Edwards had been in search of a place to stand from which to move the Democratic primary. As the one-thousandth white male to run for president, he did not have the credentials of the first black or the second woman to have a realistic chance of winning the office.
    But now Edwards has defined his candidacy and, in the process and with the help of Bush?s troop surge, begun to define the race.
    Hillary and Obama still enjoy huge advantages in the race. They will raise the most money and have demographic groups on whose loyalty they can count. But Edwards has drawn the first blood.
  • Lorn
    Looking for a title!
    • Sep 2004

Re: Correction about Obama

I hate the dirtiness of politics.

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

interesting article. I wonder if being the furthest left is the way to win the nomination, though. I think electability is the more important criteria even amongst those folks who are way left. Last time around, the dems nominated a dyed-in-the-wool lefty, and look where they ended up. I've seen some polls that suggest that most dems view electability as the number 1 criteria this time around, which, if true, is likely to hurt Hilary and anyone that moves too far left.

Not sure if the Republicans are thinking the same way or not, as a guy that is appealing to those in the center like Guiliani is perceived as likely to have trouble getting the nomination because he isn't far enough right, esp. on social issues. I have no clue. One thing is for sure, though -- there is a huge and influential group on the far right that does nothing but read their Bibles, make campaign contributions, and pop out of their house to vote for people they believe will uphold conservative social values every couple of years.

Comment

• subterFUSE
        Gold Gabber
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by toasty
        interesting article. I wonder if being the furthest left is the way to win the nomination, though. I think electability is the more important criteria even amongst those folks who are way left. Last time around, the dems nominated a dyed-in-the-wool lefty, and look where they ended up. I've seen some polls that suggest that most dems view electability as the number 1 criteria this time around, which, if true, is likely to hurt Hilary and anyone that moves too far left.

Not sure if the Republicans are thinking the same way or not, as a guy that is appealing to those in the center like Guiliani is perceived as likely to have trouble getting the nomination because he isn't far enough right, esp. on social issues. I have no clue. One thing is for sure, though -- there is a huge and influential group on the far right that does nothing but read their Bibles, make campaign contributions, and pop out of their house to vote for people they believe will uphold conservative social values every couple of years.

Yeah.... I really wish we could nominate someone who has a chance of winning the general election. But alas, this simply won't happen.

As I have said before, I obviously fall on the right side of the fence.... but only because of economic and national security issues. Just about everything else, I am pretty liberal. (Athiest, pro-choice, pro-science, etc...) So it makes me sick that I find myself tossed in with an entire group of people who believe in an invisible man in the sky, that the world is only 6000 years old, and that we shouldn't be using our knowledge to research the most promising scientific and medical advancements.

But, I see the alternative as far worse.

Comment

• Lorn
          Looking for a title!
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by subterFUSE

So it makes me sick that I find myself tossed in with an entire group of people who believe in an invisible man in the sky, that the world is only 6000 years old, and that we shouldn't be using our knowledge to research the most promising scientific and medical advancements.

But, I see the alternative as far worse.
          I know what you are saying my friend but I felt the urge to say that the majority of Christians (including myself) don't believe in any of the above mentioned illness inducing topics.

Comment

• 88Mariner
            My dick is smaller
            • Nov 2006

perhaps you're not a true christian?
            you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• subterFUSE
              Gold Gabber
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by 88Mariner

Die heretic!

Comment

• Lorn
                Looking for a title!
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by 88Mariner
                haha...good one.

Comment

• 88Mariner
                  My dick is smaller
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Lorn
                  haha...good one.

well what MAKES you a christian?

labelling yourself as something doesn't mean you're that something. Lincoln had a great quote on this.

you label yourself a christian, what makes you a christian?
                  you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Lorn
                    Looking for a title!
                    • Sep 2004

Being a Christian is believing that Jesus Christ is God.

Comment

Working...