I just got 1.5 mbs a second, how's bandwidth for you guys?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alexfish333
    Gold Gabber
    • Jul 2004

I just got 1.5 mbs a second, how's bandwidth for you guys?

I know this is a geeky topic but I want to hear from ppl like myself who aren't necessarily the people who have the SUPER DOPESTYLE geek connections.
    Holosound@Vertigo in Costa Rica Streaming Video and Audio http://livestream.com/urbanettv/vide...8-c5911280cf91

Part of the weekend never dies...
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Re: I just got 1.5 mbs a second, how's bandwidth for you guys?

1.5mbit = 150 kbps... thats T1 speeds and slow from today's standard (sorry dont mean to bust your happy bubble), most cable + DSL these days is over 6 mbit/sec
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• KinKyJ
      Platinum Poser
      • Jun 2004

^^^ owned by the man

Comment

• asdf_admin
        i use to be important
        • Jun 2004

OC-12 at work and at home 970 SDSL.
        dead, yet alive.

Comment

• alexfish333
          Gold Gabber
          • Jul 2004

I thought 1.5 mb was 1500 kbps but I won't pretend to know more than the Kamal
          Holosound@Vertigo in Costa Rica Streaming Video and Audio http://livestream.com/urbanettv/vide...8-c5911280cf91

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

I used to get confused too..... mbps vs. mbit vs mBytes ... these conventions are a pain in the ass. Easiest way to remember is whenever you speak about home connectivity, its megaBits i.e. 1.5 x 1000 bits or x 100kbits = the download speeds you see on your PC when downloading from the web
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• alexfish333
              Gold Gabber
              • Jul 2004

I guess I had an issue with the kilobits vs kilobytes, ma bad

Comment

• asdf_admin
                i use to be important
                • Jun 2004

yeah it is bits. not bytes. there 8 bits into 1 byte.
                dead, yet alive.

Comment

• alexfish333
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jul 2004

So when you guys are downloading most of you are getting it well over a mbps? I thought if I was getting say 1mbps and downloading an 86mb set I'd get it in 86 seconds Am I at least right about that?

Comment

• Kamal
                    Administrator
                    • May 2002

no, when you download at home and see 200kb/sec, thats 200 kilobytes..... if it was 1,500 KiloBytes, its 1.5 megabytes/sec

having said that, check out the attached image.... screenshot while transferring files from mercuryserver to another server we own
                    Attached Files
                    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• unkownartist
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Kamal
                      1.5mbit = 150 kbps... thats T1 speeds and slow from today's standard (sorry dont mean to bust your happy bubble), most cable + DSL these days is over 6 mbit/sec

kamal i,m getting starting speeds of 1.1 Mb on rapidshare then its going down to 800 kbps, i think thats what he means

Comment

• Kamal
                        Administrator
                        • May 2002

thats burstable speeds and can be attributed to several factors including the fact that the first few packets of data travel to and from the 2 machines at near lightspeeds, once a steady stream of data starts to come in, it trickles down to the max that the pipe will handle
                        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• beanzncheez
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2004

I've got a 12Mbps connection at home and my ISP is going to offer 15Mbps down pretty soon. Don't know if I'll get it though. My brother has 15Mbps/2Mbps at his house and gets that for much less than what I pay. Bastard.

Comment

• Santa
                            Getting Somewhere
                            • Aug 2004

We got 384 KB/s (or 3 Mbit) as standard for ADSL in Belgium... And that sucks... (especially the upload capped at 30 KB/s and of course the limit in data transfer set to 20 or 30 GB per month).

I think I will switch to cable soon, as there is no limit for the data transfer.
                            Santa Claus inc.
                            World wide deliveries, once a year

Comment

• Lorn
                              Looking for a title!
                              • Sep 2004

My connection at home absolutely sucks. Its one-way cable. Meaning I download over a cable but upload over a 56K phone modem. I look out my window and see cows...ugh!

Comment

Working...