Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SyntaxTerror
    • Jun 2004

DJing Xone Mixed In Key software

* Analyze your .MP3 files and .WAV files. All bitrates are supported (320kbit, 256kbit, 192kbit, 128kbit, etc)
    * Create browsable collections, drag-and-drop supported
    * Display harmonically compatible keys
    * Drag-and-drop support for Ableton Live!, Traktor, Virtual DJ and most CD burning applications
    * Read our tutorial on harmonic mixing
    * Save identified keys into MP3 ID3 tags automatically
    * Show the tempo (beats per minute) of every song
    * Search for specific song name or key
    * Sort songs by key
    * Use mixing technique similar to DJ Sasha, Pete Tong and Armin Van Buuren

Xone Mixed In Key improves your DJ mixing. This software is simple and easy to use. Your mixing will sound perfect and you can get booked more often.

Comments? It seems to me that it's not far off what they say - the computer *will* be able to do everything for a DJ. All that's left now is set programming, and while that's an extremely hard thing to create an algorithm for (and possibly a decade or two off), I see it as a perfectly attainable software engineering feat.

Zabiela will be replaced by the very robots he craps on about so much (thank god).
    "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004
  • Caley Martin
    MCast Resident DJ
    • Oct 2004

Re: Xone Mixed In Key software

I think when you become too reliant on technology to accomplish tasks that your talents should have been able to, then something is wrong. A trained ear can easily mix in key on the fly IMO.
    For your aural infusion of Caley:
    http://mcast.mercuryserver.com
    http://soundcloud.com/caleymartin
    http://ultrawizardsword.net
    RA: Caley

Comment

• geoffgulley
      Platinum Poster
      • Apr 2005

^^ ditto... either you know what works or you don't... if you need a computer program to tell you please don't dj.... imo.
      "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
        • Jun 2004

Tend to agree with you guys. It just means there'll be more crap djs out there to filter through before finding the good ones
        "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• Lorn
          Looking for a title!
          • Sep 2004

I'm with you guys on this.

Might be useful on the production front though.

Comment

• FM
            Wooooooo!
            • Jun 2004

I seriously wish they had some sort of demo to test before seeing if its worth it (and its reading speed/accuracy of detection). I've been using Mixmeister for such for a long time (which some tests have indicated it's extremely high accuracy)...and it's a bit slow at times, probably because my computer isn't too state-of-the-art these days...

And while a trained ear can mix in beat quickly and detect such, very few have the knowledge and wiring to accurately mix in key virtually over an entire set...some sections here and there yes, and that's based on knowing your tracks. Stuff like this can take the set programming to another level if utilized properly.
            FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
            "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
            Facebook!
            A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• geoffgulley
              Platinum Poster
              • Apr 2005

.. in my mind it completely takes spontinatity out of the equation. If you're dj'ing and drop a turd on the room because you played a track that happened to be "in key" with the previous track are you going to not play a song that gets the crowd back into it because it doesn't "harmonically" flow? Have we become so fucking anal that we can only play an A or B major song after an E major song (or another E major song of course)? I'm sorry but the dj and crowd dictates the direction of the music, not some software that helps you figure out what friggin key it was recorded in... A good dj can take a 118 bpm A major track and work it in with a 132 bpm C minor if they know how and/or what the fuck they're doing and not have anybody blink an eye.... and (this is not a knock on you FM...) if you're using software like mixmeister to spin out you're not a "dj" you're a programmer and delusional. I have no problem with using software to produce radio shows, tracks etc but live at a club.... sorry, no fucking way (unless it like torq or serrato).

Comment

• FM
                Wooooooo!
                • Jun 2004

oh yes, track knowledge still needs to be in there...just because you know the keys and which way they go, doesn't mean you know when and how to mix it in (where the intros/outros are, how much of a buildup, breakdown, etc.)...key or not, if it's just bass drum beats matching a while, that's not always the greatest mix to do

Sorry on my clarification; I don't use MM to mix out live (nor with what's out there would I ever recommend one does such in a club environment ), but it's an excellent tool to analyze files and spit back the BPM and keys to then put on the sheet in the jacket.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Serato eventually add that feature as well (already does BPM)....this program does do what others haven't yet and that's write out the info. to ID3 tags.

Still though, for $58 I'd love to test it first in some capacity...
                FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                Facebook!
                A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
                  • Jun 2004

Hard to release a demo on a piece of software which you ultimately only ever need to run once on each track you have. Too easy to crack to do your whole collection and forget about it.

Comment

• Jibgolly
                    Vortexuralizor
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by geoffgulley
                    .. in my mind it completely takes spontinatity out of the equation. If you're dj'ing and drop a turd on the room because you played a track that happened to be "in key" with the previous track are you going to not play a song that gets the crowd back into it because it doesn't "harmonically" flow? Have we become so fucking anal that we can only play an A or B major song after an E major song (or another E major song of course)? I'm sorry but the dj and crowd dictates the direction of the music, not some software that helps you figure out what friggin key it was recorded in... A good dj can take a 118 bpm A major track and work it in with a 132 bpm C minor if they know how and/or what the fuck they're doing and not have anybody blink an eye.... and (this is not a knock on you FM...) if you're using software like mixmeister to spin out you're not a "dj" you're a programmer and delusional. I have no problem with using software to produce radio shows, tracks etc but live at a club.... sorry, no fucking way (unless it like torq or serrato).

i agree with you 200% here. recently had a couple friends start using this, but for me... it takes away that spontaneous element that makes or breaks a dj. i will never rely on software to tell me what track to play next, however i do agree to a certain extent that if you are a more "melodical" dj that this program may in fact be a great tool. to each his own. where it might help one dj, it might slow another one down.

i prefer on the fly at all times when playing out.

making a mix cd, using this program, is a whole other discussion.

Comment

• unkownartist
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

this is the start of the end of the dj as we know it

Comment

• geoffgulley
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Apr 2005

^^ I'm pretty damn passionate about what I do and anytime I hear about a "new technology" to help you mix better I just want to go dig out my old 1200's and switch back to strictly vinyl. I've never in my life counted intro/outro measures, tried to figure out what key a track is in or even really bothered to count or catalog bpm's... i just listened to the tracks and either decided I liked it and it would work in my set or it wouldn't... that's it. Had nothing to do with it being "trance" or "progressive house" etc either... It was either a good track (imo) or it wasn't. When the DJM-800 came out with "Auto Harmonic Tuning" I was like "What the fuck? I need a fucking mixer to make my set sound in tune?"... Seriously, it makes me want to puke....

Comment

• Jenks
                          I'm kind of a big deal.
                          • Jun 2004

GHEY!!

This is just as useless to me as organizing records by key. Give me a fking break.

My record bag is a fucking mess, probably too much of a mess, which requires sorting through it right before my gig, but biiiiig deal. DJing is supposed to be fun, we're not trying to cure cancer here people. The sets i end up playing the best are the ones i walk in the club, take a shot (required before playing) grab a beer and play.

If you can't hear that two records don't go together without a program i dunno...ur missing something in your ear. Let's just suck all the fun out of djing.
                          Last edited by Jenks; February 15, 2007, 10:53:33 AM.

Comment

• cmhollis
                            Getting Somewhere
                            • Aug 2006

I have a question for you guys - Is there software out there that allows one to mix mp3 files on a pc? Ive collected vinyl for about 15 years and always just mixed for the fun of it, very low tech. Now that Ive been collecting loads of mp3 files, Id like to be able to splice together all my favorites. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Jenks
                              I'm kind of a big deal.
                              • Jun 2004

traktor

Comment

Working...