X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BSully828
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Bush's National Guard Record

Questions are being raised about the authenticity of newly unearthed memos which asserted that George W. Bush ignored an order from a superior officer in the Texas Air National Guard and lost his status as a pilot because he failed to meet military performance standards and undergo a required physical exam.

Read full article here

News doesn't turn Bush into GI Joe or anything, but it does question some of the accusations that have been brought against him. Here are some highlights for those lazy bastids like myself who don't want to read the whole thing:

"CBS, which reported on the memos on its "60 Minutes" program, said its experts who examined the documents concluded that they were authentic."

"Gary Killian, who served in the Guard with his father and retired as a captain in 1991, said he doubted his father would have written an unsigned memo which said there was pressure to "sugar coat" Bush's performance review."

"Independent document examiner Sandra Ramsey Lines said the memos looked like they had been produced on a computer using Microsoft Word software. " (MS Word wasn't around when these docs were allegedly written)

Another report quoted Killian's wife to say that he was not a typist, he hated it in fact and was more comfortable using longhand. Also the type of language and style that the reports were written in did not match other docs and reports that he himself had written. Hmmm...
    Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
    a sense of humor to console him for what he is.
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Re: Bush's National Guard Record

The thing that is most disheartening to me is that this election has recently transformed into a game of who can come up with the most convincing fabrication.

Comment

• Balanc3
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

There is no doubt that the natl. guard documents obtained by CBS were forged, or CBS wouldn't be trying so hard to restore credibility. Dems are desperately trying anything they can to attack Bush... and they are gasping for air. These dirty attacks continue but bush has done the right thing and taken the high road. Republicans made this clear during the RNC by not takin any low blows at Kerry, but honestly this swift boat issue is more interesting. Bush's natl. guard record was also challenged in the 2000 election but even then it had no steam.

JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• asdf_admin
        i use to be important
        • Jun 2004

lol. what a bunch of losers. at least republicans have some dignity. been following this since CBS got it's hands on it ... what a bunch poor chumps. where was that post about media not being liberal? fucking poo diaper. eat my shorts you demo-goblins.

"hit a liberal day"
        dead, yet alive.

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by asdf_admin";p="
          where was that post about media not being liberal?
          Well, the "liberal" media kept the Swiftboat Vets afloat for a month with constant coverage, but has paid no serious attention to information about Bush's complete lack of service in the ANG (ignoring the forged documents, it is pretty clear that Bush's performance and service in the ANG were less than stellar from other credible sources).

It always amazes me that Bush fans will blast a guy for allegedly exaggerating the level of the threat of bodily harm he experienced in Vietnam, but trumpet about the military expertise of Bush, who ducked Vietnam by jumping a waiting list to enroll in the TANG and evidently failed to do anything except get his teeth cleaned while he was there.

If we are going to send our troops into battle for any reason, whether it be in response to an attack or pre-emptively, I would feel better knowing that the guy sending those troops is at least familiar with what fighting a war at the ground level is all about. I'm not sure that Bush fully comprehends the gravity of what he asks our troops to do, at least not to the same extent as someone that has both fought a war and protested that war based upon what he saw while he was there.

Comment

• devon
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Balanc3";p="
            There is no doubt that the natl. guard documents obtained by CBS were forged, or CBS wouldn't be trying so hard to restore credibility.
            Well obviously there is doubt, that is why they are looking into it.
            i really wish the floor would stop moving!

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

i don't give a crap what either candidate did tens of years ago in the military, or lack thereof. Karry's Vietnam service doesn't mean shit to me. Yeah, he went to Vietnam, so did a lot of people in my family and family friends. The difference is, none of them talk about it like it's a badge of honor, Kerry does.

The National Guard is like Military lite (well, at least it used to be before Bush started using the Guardsmen as reservists.) Still, i don't care wether Bush washed Guard boats or fought front line, it doesn't mean anything about how he's going to run the country after 2004.

Comment

• toasty
                Sir Toastiness
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks";p="
                i don't care wether Bush washed Guard boats or fought front line, it doesn't mean anything about how he's going to run the country after 2004.
                I will agree with you, with one caveat. We know how Bush, who has no military experience, runs a war -- badly. I'd like to give someone else a shot at it that has the benefit of actually having some military chops. Unfortuntely, that man is John Kerry, but as far as I'm concerned, change for the sake of change is an acceptable option right now.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                  i use to be important
                  • Jun 2004

Well, the "liberal" media kept the Swiftboat Vets afloat for a month with constant coverage, but has paid no serious attention to information about Bush's complete lack of service in the ANG (ignoring the forged documents, it is pretty clear that Bush's performance and service in the ANG were less than stellar from other credible sources).

It always amazes me that Bush fans will blast a guy for allegedly exaggerating the level of the threat of bodily harm he experienced in Vietnam, but trumpet about the military expertise of Bush, who ducked Vietnam by jumping a waiting list to enroll in the TANG and evidently failed to do anything except get his teeth cleaned while he was there.

If we are going to send our troops into battle for any reason, whether it be in response to an attack or pre-emptively, I would feel better knowing that the guy sending those troops is at least familiar with what fighting a war at the ground level is all about. I'm not sure that Bush fully comprehends the gravity of what he asks our troops to do, at least not to the same extent as someone that has both fought a war and protested that war based upon what he saw while he was there.
                  First off ... Kerry shot some grenade into a hillside and got shrapnel into his leg. eeeee. leader? Bush flew jets, that is much more hard core and intense. Though both were in some form of service, and Kerry more in the thick of it if you talk about hand to hand. I am Vet whore, I love those people and what they have done and been thru. My Wife's Grandpa was in Special Forces in Nam, and he supports Bush. Most Vets do, I ask you why? I am a military buff, but I ain't no solider ... so why why why ?

ps. we have no right speaking on this subject unless you are military or former. I admit I am not, so as far as me saying who is better as a commander ... no fucking clue.

also. War has changed since Nam, and Kerry's primitive nature would not help him in todays's's's technological battlefield. The way war is today, a second is enough to eliminate the enemy or get your troops killed. Would you want a uncooked waffle in there, no matter which side he is cooked on, he is still raw? Yes No Yes No Yes No ... Dead.
                  dead, yet alive.

Comment

• toasty
                    Sir Toastiness
                    • Jun 2004

Bush flew jets, that is much more hard core and intense.
                    Uh, even when the express purpose of flying those jets is to avoid having to go to war in the first place?

My Wife's Grandpa was in Special Forces in Nam, and he supports Bush. Most Vets do, I ask you why? .
                    Well, my dad flew recon in 'Nam, and he hates Bush much more fervently that I do, if you can believe that. Moreover, my understanding is that Bush's poll numbers amongst vets and currently enlisted solidiers are lower than his Republican counterparts through history -- so yeah, you're right, vets like Bush more than Kerry in raw numbers, but when compared to similar historical data that show him doing worse than Republicans in the past, that ain't that impressive.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                      i use to be important
                      • Jun 2004

i can understand that ... people are not perfect.

Uh, even when the express purpose of flying those jets is to avoid having to go to war in the first place?
                      there were many people who fled the USA. He was at least in the military ... if he needed to be used, "they" surely would of. bump, set, and spike. :wink:
                      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• burger
                        Fresh Peossy
                        • Sep 2004

It's pretty sad that the majority of the nation is getting caught up on this BS and not hte real issues that a President has to deal with.

Comment

• pacific493
                          Getting warmed up
                          • Jun 2004

lol. what a bunch of losers. at least republicans have some dignity.
                          LOL! It's not too dignified in my book to spread rumors about McCain having a black child to stir up racist sentiment in South Carolina or question McCain's support of the military or question Cleland's patriotism or...well you get the idea.

Comment

• pacific493
                            Getting warmed up
                            • Jun 2004

This is one issue that I agree with the president on when he says that there should be an investigation and all of the questions surrounding this issue should be answered. I think that CBS should be pried wide open and I think his service records should be pried wide open. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If the pres wants questions answered, there are quite a few questions that he should be willing to answer himself.

Comment

Working...