X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tiddles
    Encryption, Jr.
    • Jun 2004

Production why does ableton do this?

i'm warping songs in ableton and everynow and then it messes up the vocal or maybe a pad. its sounds like its being stretched and kinda stutters/sounds like a tremolo effect. is it my mistake setting the warp markers? or maybe playing back at a bpm too far off from the original?
  • Kinetic
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: why does ableton do this?

Originally posted by tiddles
    i'm warping songs in ableton and everynow and then it messes up the vocal or maybe a pad. its sounds like its being stretched and kinda stutters/sounds like a tremolo effect. is it my mistake setting the warp markers? or maybe playing back at a bpm too far off from the original?
    Hey man,

Well, playing tracks/clips at very different BPM?s from the original will do that, but not by itself...

Which warp mode are you using? I?d guess ?ou?re using "beats" mode. That causes that "choppy" sound you?re getting, usually corresponding to the rate of transient detection you chose (1/16, 1/8, etc.). Since it?s a more CPU-friendly mode which is more adapted towards rhythmic material, it?ll be more noticeable in strings, pads, drones, vocals...any continuous sound really.

I?d advise you to use either or "Complex" mode or even better, "Repitch", when yo??re not changing the BPM?s too far from the original.

The drawback with "Complex" is that uses a lot more CPU, but keeps pitch intact, no matter how much you change the BPM. With "Repitch" the drwaback is you eventually getting your mix sounding like chipmunks, if youy change, say, a 128bpm track to 100...

Hope that helps!
    "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
    http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• tiddles
      Encryption, Jr.
      • Jun 2004

Re: why does ableton do this?

hey thanks!
      i don't know what kind of warping i was doing, whatever the default is, i'll look into the others and see what happens

Comment

Working...