• Show
Clear All
  • DancingQueen
    AVB FanClub | President
    • Oct 2005

Save Internet Radio, Today: Internet Radio Day of Silence

Well this is going to have a HUGE impact on our community

This entry was posted on Friday, March 2nd, 2007 at 11:04 pm

If the RIAA and SoundExchange get their way, independent webcasting / Internet radio will soon cease to exist.

Why? Earlier today, the Copyright Royalty Board, the group overseeing statutory licensing for US-based internet radio stations, announced the new royalty rates for streaming radio performance rights. The board rejected the arguments made by webcasters and instead chose to adopt the proposal put forth by industry-backed SoundExchange, a royalty fee collection agency created by the RIAA.

The new rates are based on �performances� of songs. A �performance� is defined as one song being streamed to a single listener. In other words, a station with 1000 listeners is charged for 1000 performances of each song it broadcasts.

Further, the new rates, just announced today, are retroactive to 2006, and increase rapidly each year. The rates per performance are as follows:

$0.0008 in 2006
    $0.0011 in 2007
    $0.0014 in 2008
    $0.0018 in 2009

At first glance, those seem like fairly small numbers: eight ten-thousandths of a dollar, eleven ten-thousandths of a dollar, and so on. When you actually do the math, however, you see the truth revealed. The average radio station plays 16 songs in an hour. Under this system, that would be equivalent to 16 performances.

0.0011 x 16 = 0.0176

Still a fairly small number - under two cents. But now assume this station has 1000 listeners. That means that, in one hour, the station would be billed for 16,000 performances.

0.0011 x 16000 = 17.60

That�s $17.60 an hour. Now we�re starting to see how expensive this truly is. Multiply that by 24 hours a day.

17.60 * 24 = 422.40

$422.40 a day. But there�s 365 days in a year.

422.40 * 365 = 154176

$154,176 for the year in performance royalties alone for a station with 1000 listeners. And that�s just for 2007: it gets even worse. In 2008, the cost rises to $193,536 for the year. In 2009, it goes up to $248,832. Even for a much smaller station, the royalties owed are huge.

Of course, these figures don�t include the other set of rights that Internet radio stations are required to purchase, which must be licensed separately from an agency like SESAC or ASCAP, or the cost of bandwidth and server capacity. When you add all these costs together, you can easily see why nobody, save perhaps a megacorporation like AOL or Yahoo, could afford to pay these rates.

But wait - what�s this? The new rates apply retroactively to the beginning of 2006. In other words, someone who has been happily (and legally) running their small internet radio station for the past few years is suddenly going to be hit with possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional royalties owed. These bills could easily cause a small, independent broadcaster (and his family) to go bankrupt.

Meanwhile, over-the-air radio stations are still not required to pay one dime to the record industry for public performance rights from SoundExchange or an equivalent group. They only need to pay the far more reasonable fees of BMI, ASCAP, and/or SESAC. This reads like another tactic by the recording industry and corporate powers to exert control over anyone involved with music and an attempt to destroy independent broadcasting.

Whether you don�t want to see your favorite internet radio station go off the air, whether you just hate the RIAA, whatever the reason: please, help us get this senseless, greedy policy designed to do nothing but line the pockets of the record industry overturned. Write to, or better yet call, your representative, your senators, and the Copyright Royalty Board. Tell your friends and family, write on your blog, digg this - help get the word out and help to Save Internet Radio!

If you are a webcaster, we want to hear from you! How will this affect your station? What do you plan on doing? Drop us a line at feedback@save-internet-radio.com. If you�re someone involved with setting these rates, you�re also welcome to contact us and explain why you think these rates are fair.

We�ll be updating this site with more information as this progresses, so please check back and get involved!
    View: Full story courtesy of Save Internet Radio
    sigpic
    RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
    RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
  • unkownartist
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Save Internet Radio

karen i wouldnt worry about this this really only applies to the pop industry which relies on royalties which electronic music doesnt really get and even if it does and this happens then in my eyes this is fantastic news because we will return the the late 80's early 90's of pirate radio, who knows this could end up turning out the next carl cox ( thats where he started )

Comment

• DancingQueen
      AVB FanClub | President
      • Oct 2005

hmmm interesting point
      sigpic
      RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
      RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

seriously who makes up these numbers? it seems like someone sat down decided on some arbitrary numbers and said ok, now lets try and pass a law so we can make some extra money.

i want to pass a law for everytime i goto a website and come across a broken link the gov't owes me 5$, that sounds reasonable.

Comment

• unkownartist
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

i think its disgusting that they change to play music simply because if ur an artist wanting to promote ur music the best way to do it is get it played on radio and the part that disgusts me about that is that they then charge the radio station for promoting/selling there music for them, the radio station does them a favour not the other way round

Comment

• res0nat0r
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • May 2006

its a way to make free money without them having to do anything, so they are going to try damn hard to make a much $$ as possible

Comment

• Erik Mitchell
              Gold Gabber
              • Oct 2004

Fuck the RIAA.
              soundcloud - facedbook

Comment

• skahound
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • Jun 2004

It's deja-vu all over again.
                A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• supaz
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

^ You can say that again

Comment

• Hg_addict
                    Addiction started
                    • Dec 2005

I try not to have hate in my life, but I hate the RIAA!

Comment

• DancingQueen
                      AVB FanClub | President
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by red1
                      i think its disgusting that they change to play music simply because if ur an artist wanting to promote ur music the best way to do it is get it played on radio and the part that disgusts me about that is that they then charge the radio station for promoting/selling there music for them, the radio station does them a favour not the other way round
                      Exactly....unfortunately money drives society, so if they can find a way to make more of it, they will do it.
                      sigpic

Comment

• FM
                        Wooooooo!
                        • Jun 2004

this has been fought over for several years now, and I'm willing to bet it's not completely over yet...
                        FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                        "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                        Facebook!
                        A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• KinKyJ
                          Platinum Poser
                          • Jun 2004

^^^no shit

Comment

• jarble187
                            vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by red1
                            karen i wouldnt worry about this this really only applies to the pop industry which relies on royalties which electronic music doesnt really get and even if it does and this happens then in my eyes this is fantastic news because we will return the the late 80's early 90's of pirate radio, who knows this could end up turning out the next carl cox ( thats where he started )
                            The above is true for pirate radio, but how about for those broadcasting properly? I think this is extremly bad news. I was curious how this would effect stations like Proton and Frisky. Beings that all the music that is played is in a mix, I dont think royalties would have to be returned to the artist. However, if they were playing track for track, wouldn't this be an issue?
                            Push the envelope, watch it bend.

www.kansascitytechno.com

Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011

Comment

• Lorn
                              Looking for a title!
                              • Sep 2004

Why do people want to make life so hard?

Comment

Working...