Clear All
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

500 GB External HD for $179

Seems like a hell of a steal.
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Re: 500 GB External HD for $179

Jesus I just found out my local staples had the same HD for $10 less.... proud to say I am now an owner of 1 of these bad boys
    Last edited by Kamal; March 20, 2007, 07:08:16 AM.
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Hg_addict
      Addiction started
      • Dec 2005

Wow thats is a deal. Have you used it yet?

Comment

• Kamal
        Administrator
        • May 2002

Yes I plugged it into my laptop and XP instantly recognized it. I am transferring close to 100 gb wirelessly over my network from my desktop but its slow as shit (so much for 802.11g).

It came pre-formatted in FAT32 so the first thing I did was formatted it to NTFS - which took forever. Also its not true 500 GB (about 465) which is a huge surprise. I would've felt it'd be closer to 480 or so - didnt expect losing 35 gigs off it.
        Last edited by Kamal; March 20, 2007, 07:08:30 AM.
        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

35gb is a lot to lose to a filesystem, wtf?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
          a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Originally posted by m1sT3rL
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

unless I have a bad drive - will call WD and see what they have to say
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

Could be the byte allocation thingie ... can't remember the technical term. But with FAT32 and NTFS, you can control that. I will have a better idea when I can run my Partition Magic at home to see how they refer to what I'm trying to say

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Simon Preston
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

I have a Western Digital 500GB internal drive which is 465GB when formatted with NTFS.

Most harddisk knowingly makers use the 1'000'000'000 bytes = a Gigabyte method which we know is bollocks - as do the HDD makers, but it makes it look better.
                http://soundcloud.com/simonpreston/simon-preston-summer-2011

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

Good to know, saved me a phone call
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• unkownartist
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2005

god dam it i would have to pay over ?250 for that here

gonna get a 500 gig sata II for my desktop though, only costs around ?90

Comment

• Simon Preston
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jun 2004

It would help if you were looking at the same model.

Comment

• Kamal
                        Administrator
                        • May 2002

those are diff ? thought they're both 16 MB Buffer / 7200 RPM drives
                        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Simon Preston
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jun 2004

But the one you are looking at is the bottom of the range USB 2 only MyBook. The next model up has Firewire 400 and the one up from that includes Firewire 800.

Comment

• Kamal
                            Administrator
                            • May 2002

I guess I snagged the bottom of the list one
                            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• beanzncheez
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2004

You gotta do the math and you should know that you're not gonna get 500GB (binary) out of it. It even says so on the box at what formula they use. I saw this same drive getting clearanced out by either Staples or Office Depot a while back for like $110 and they sold pretty fast from what I heard. Big drives are fun.
                              I recently added 2x250GB of Samsung Spinpoint storage drives to my file server for the great price of $138. Awesome price for drives that have faster access times and lower heat levels.

Comment

Working...