Can you id a DJ purely by their mixing ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Can you id a DJ purely by their mixing ???

Originally posted by chunky
    So if you listened to a Sasha and Digweed set could you tell which tracks Sasha mixed and which ones Digweed mixed?

sometimes. john tends to work off looped drum patterns and doesnt mix off breakdowns a lot.

sasha, uses breakdowns a ton, studders the bass and kick a lot, tends to keep it more atmospheric as opposed to dirty, and you can usually hear the ableton effects a lot more than someone else.

easy DJ's to ID via a set-- nick warren- quick mixes, jacking tunes, doesnt rely on the journay per say, just hammers it.

JZ- well, you just know cuz it sounds like a scratch DJ playing annoying bleep bleep bleep house.

romero-- closest guy to diggers, plays a ton of low end deep tribal house and prog, mixes very well.

satoshi-- he just has the satoshi sound. we all know it.
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• AntonyM
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
      Im pretty sure I can tell when pete tongs mixing
      Without a doubt
      Cause you get shitload of...................
      This is Pete Tong welcome to Radio 1's Essential Selection
      and a pile of bollocks tracks as well
      Originally posted by Shpira
      So came back last night...
      Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
      Originally posted by Illuminate
      Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
      2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
      3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
      4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• Morgan
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

So if you listened to a Sasha and Digweed set could you tell which tracks Sasha mixed and which ones Digweed mixed?
        I don't think i could if they were back to back, otherwise yes, Sasha peaktime and Digweed peak are totally difference experiences. (See Seans post).
        "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• chunky
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • Jan 2006

Anyone want to tell me which tracks Sasha mixed and which ones Digweed mixed on the 1997 JJJ mixup. just for fun
          Originally posted by res0nat0r
          OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• Localizer
            Platinum Poster
            • Jul 2004

Can you id a DJ purely by their mixing

You see a few sets posted about where people are convinced that they are genuine or not.

The Digweed Exposed set someone posted this set was fake because the mixing was shite (I think this set is genuine)

The Digweed La Dune set, The two Fabric sets and the Dubai sets people claimed these sets were genuine. Claiming they could tell it was Digweed just by the mixing

And Sasha (Or Digweed) 5th August 1995, Angels, Burnley i got into an argument with someone who clams the set is Sasha and i think its Digweed. One of his clams is the mixing its nothing like digweed's, as the mixing its all in key therefore its Sasha

But can anyone tell the difference on a DJs mixing alone. If you took a set like the Sasha & John Digweed JJJ Mixup 01.01.97. Could anyone seriously tell without doubt which tracks Sasha mixed and which one Digweed mixed purely from the mixing style
            I'm not a DJ and never have but i think the answer is no you cant be %100 on mixing alone. Do DJs have such a unique mixing style they couldn't be anyone else. Can any of you DJs out there prove me wrong?

I look mostly at the way the dj progresses as well as the tracklisting. Over time you tend to find similarities between how dj's build their sets and the various tracks that they use.
            Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
            -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• fer_
              Platinum Poster
              • May 2005

these days u can id sasha by their ableton effects and the way he can play 2, 3, 4 tracks at the same time.
              as for the jjj set I dont think I could id which tracks dig mixed and wich tracks sasha mixed... you 'd have to be in the period of the recording set to id it..but only by their mixing it is a bit difficult although each dj has his own way to mix.. With the way of programing and track selection is different.

Comment

• AndyH
                Platinum Poster
                • May 2005

Originally posted by thesightless
                sometimes. john tends to work off looped drum patterns and doesnt mix off breakdowns a lot.

sasha, uses breakdowns a ton, studders the bass and kick a lot, tends to keep it more atmospheric as opposed to dirty, and you can usually hear the ableton effects a lot more than someone else.

easy DJ's to ID via a set-- nick warren- quick mixes, jacking tunes, doesnt rely on the journay per say, just hammers it.

JZ- well, you just know cuz it sounds like a scratch DJ playing annoying bleep bleep bleep house.

romero-- closest guy to diggers, plays a ton of low end deep tribal house and prog, mixes very well.

satoshi-- he just has the satoshi sound. we all know it.
                I reckon Danny Howells is reasonably recognisable as well - v long, smooth, perfect mixes
                [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

Working...