What are your thoughts on MP3 audio quality?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taylor Norris
    Platinum Poster
    • Oct 2005

What are your thoughts on MP3 audio quality?

I am worried about the future of audio quality. Everyone is running around listening to 192's or worse on their I-Pods and getting used to it.
    Are DJ's going to start palying these low quality files in clubs?
    Will people be okay listening?

Check out the quote in my sig...
    :taken from http://www.livesets.com/forums/showt...hreadid=113708

Whats your opinion?
  • ddr
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: What are your thoughts on MP3 audio quality?

i thought CD dj's use VBR or 320kbps... to play in clubs otherwise it will just sound like shit.
    as for ipod listening, 128 is as low as i will go.. without exceptional headphones i dont think anyone on the street will notice the difference.. as for me, i try to ipod 192 or above.
    "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• ShawnD64
      Quickshot the Minute Man
      • Jan 2005

i dont mind 192's anything under starts to be noticeable (not in the club)
      in a club you need 320's

all mp3's do is filter out certain frequencies to save space... so yes quality will suffer (same with image compression). so it all depends on how much gets filtered... hence the differing kbs rates.... so i guess it all depends on the compression rate...
      http://soundcloud.com/scd64
      http://www.myspace.com/scd64
      http://b-sidesradio.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Miroslav
        WHOA I can change this!1!
        • Apr 2006

That's awesome. I wouldn't make my dog listen to mp3s at 96 kbps. nOObs...
        mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• apollo_1444
          Banned
          • Oct 2006

I use 320 exclusely or even .WAV, 192 is for n00bs

plus you've gotta understand that most people use 192 only to save space on the ipod.

Comment

• beanzncheez
            Banned
            • Jun 2004

You can still tell the difference at 320KB and 192 is dog's ass.

Comment

• DIDI
              Aussie Pest
              • Nov 2004

It's not just the bit rate, sometimes a lower bit rate sounds ok and sometimes a higher bit rate sounds awful . Depends on the source and recording quality as well. But I personally can't see any instance where 96kb could be good!!
              Originally posted by TheVrk
              it IS incredible isn't it??
              STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
              Simply does not get any better than Hernan
              The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                Not cool enough
                • Jun 2004

^^^ I have never hear that one. I know 96k Sucks. And frankly for mp3's there needs to be a much higher bitrate for dj tracks, and other things that would could convert to wav...and I'm not talking about FLac. I'm talking about possibly a 410K track. Or better. MP3 was invented back when people were dealing with 28KBPS modems. Now we have tons of bandwidth and yet the MP3 format hasn't upgraded to go along with the change in available bandwidth.

Hell, nowadays you can download a WAV file in the time it takes you to download an entire Kiss 100 Digweed Set. So why not make them more available.
                Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• ddr
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
                  Hell, nowadays you can download a WAV file in the time it takes you to download an entire Kiss 100 Digweed Set. So why not make them more available.
                  because DVDJ's cost a fuckload =p
                  plus not everyone has a terrabyte of hard drive space... i have a 120gb (i know i know), formatted 2 weeks ago and its already almost half full due to dj sets and tv stuff =\
                  "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• beanzncheez
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
                    Now we have tons of bandwidth and yet the MP3 format hasn't upgraded to go along with the change in available bandwidth.
                    I'm sorry but what exactly are you trying to say with this? The mp3 was designed to be a compressed format. You're commenting about upgrading the mp3? That's what FLAC and SHN are for or even WAV. If you want a better bitrate/sound quality, you download the original file or purchase it.

Comment

• Hold Fast
                      Getting warmed up
                      • Jul 2006

Im all for listening to 192's on your I-Pod..cheaper, smaller, whatever.....

What Im trying to say is that everyone's ears are getting used to that compressed MP3 sound. For example.....

Stranded on an island, forced to eat seaweed or whatever....
                      Tastes like shit at first but after a few weeks you become numb to the taste.

I know DJ's that play 192's in the club. Hardly anyone notices...or cares.
                      It makes my ears bleedie...

Comment

• unkownartist
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2005

i,ve said this time and time again but i have a hatred for lossy compression as its so damaging to the audio quality but i dont think everyone is getting too used to 192, if u look back and take the old sound of the humble cassette for example everyone was used to the sound of that untill the cd came along and its going to be the same with the mp3 but some of u are correct, it should already be happening but like others have said hd space and also everyones "quick fix" attitude has still to be changed

Comment

• unkownartist
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

one other thing is when u talk about usable bandwidth u talk about down speed which lets face it is pretty plentyfull but upload speed for most is a totally different story, i have 8 meg down but i,m pushing half a meg up if i,m lucky, now lets see, i have a choice of uploading a song ( for example ), its 20 meg in 320 and 130+ meg in wav, which one would u choose?

Comment

• sono
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Aug 2004

On the subject of MP3 quality. What is the system used to record the weekly Kiss shows?

It seems to lack punch and the treble is bit high resulting in a less warm like sound. I downloaded the set this week from another website in lower bitrate and yet it sound better.

thanks

Comment

• Yao
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

whenever I get the chance I take WAV, then 320 for the tracks I intend to DJ with...
                              Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

Working...